weather

Hi John - I'm not sure you have kids - as I got older I found out what mortality meant and when the kids arrived my perspective broadened somewhat. With nearly 50 years on the planet I've seen quite a bit of environmental degradation (and I live in a low population area with 1000's of kms of wilderness around us.

I dont other fishing or skin diving any more....the health guys dont recommend swimming in the river after rains - all this in a city with a population < 2M.

I'm not sure what you were saying by posting that link. Don's post sums it up pretty neatly.

Reply to
K Ludger

Two kids, two grandkids so far. They are very important to me. None are, so far, neurotic or wimps or afraid to deal with life.

The great danger to the planet, and to its various critters, is human overpopulation. The only obvious way to reduce population growth is through development. The AGW fad is anti-development, and at its core anti-human; it's killing people already. The CO2 thing is just another attempt to throw sand into the gears of civilization.

In the last ten years, we have donated a sizable chunk of our corporate profit to development in poor countries. Doctors Without Borders, scholarships for girls in Africa, medical research. This is money I could have taken home. But no whining.

John

Hot, Flat, and Crowded : Why We Need a Green Revolution--And How It Can Renew America

You really need to read this book!

Reply to
Charles

Please keep in mind that we (as a world) have under debate both "global warming" and also a roughly 60 year cycle of weather trends.

The 60 or maybe 64-65-whatever year cycle is the longest term Earth-origin of the many "Oscillations" of this planet's weather.

It does appear to me that most of the "named oscillations" for Earth weather on worldwide or ocean-size scale are damped ones as opposed to being self-sustained pnes. I suspect that at least a few of those "oscillations" are merely result of random noise going through a bandpass filter that has some resonance. Please expect irregularities in the future both in timing and also in ability of the future to repeat the past. I do admit that I consider a majority of such "oscillations" to be modelled rather well by putting random noise into bandpass filters - mostly mildly resonant, with Q maybe 1.1-2.4 or somewhere around that.

Meanwhile, I am seeing how the roughly 60-year-period of the longest term oscillation that I am aware of is significant.

As I see the global 60 year oscillation, that affected global temperatures to extent of having notable peaks at 1878, around 1940 and at 1998 but those peaks were within a rising trend.

Meanwhile, the 60-or-so-year oscillation also includes trends for weather in subsets of Earth:

  1. The Arctic Ocean and the North Atlantic lag the globe, and the portion south of the Tropic of Capricorn leads the globe in the roughly-60-year period of the oscillation.
1a. Accomplishment moving a non-"icebreaker" ship through the "Northwest Passage" occurred disproportionately late from the 1878 peak, during or somewhat after WWII, or in modern times after the 1998 peak. 1b: El Ninos to occur more and more intensely from roughly 1.5 decades before the "global peak" to about the time of the "global peak". Do consider 1982-1998! "El Nino" tends to spike global temperature upward and its opposite, "La Nina", tends to spike global temperature downward.

Do keep in mind that El Nino disfavors "Atlantic Basin" hurricanes by increasing "windsheer" there. The "Atlantic Basin" normally has global warming favoring more-hurricane-favorable warmer water in "hurricane-breeding-area" along with less windshear since that comes mostly from temperature contrast - and global warming is expected to warm the Arctic more than anywhere elseand has done so as a result of having a major region-of-globe positive feedback mechanism. But individual hot years for the globe tend to disfavor Atlantic hurricanes and favor Pacific ones.

1c: "Atlantic Basin" hurricanes tend to uptick close to the "global peak" and "remain upticked" (from longer term trend) until roughly 1.5-2 decades or so past "global peak". 1d: Spectacular heatwaves in "48 contiguous states" of USA east of the Rockies tend to occur during the few to several years before "Global Peak". Such heatwaves may have positive correlation with El Nino. Have a look at 1932-1936 and 1991-1995, along with long term averages! 1e: The Antarctic probably had more warming during the couple decades ending with 1998 than afterwards. Some sources show the Antarctic not warming at all or even slightly cooling since even a bit before the 1998 "global peak". Give us maybe another decade with global warming being slower and somewhat confined to North Atlantic and the Arctic, and after that the Antarctic resumes warming, and after that the 2030-2050 stretch can easily have a majority of the global warming that occurs from 1998 to 2050. Beware if the globe manages to warm from late 1990's to about 2020 when it should be cooling according to the roughly-60-year-oscillation!

Don Klipstein

You posted the map to a venue that overwhealmingly supports stasis.

Please, please get and read a copy of the following:

Hot, Flat, and Crowded : Why We Need a Green Revolution--And How It Can Renew America

Reply to
Charles

I am finding in southeast PA leaves to be falling late this year as far as the past 3.5 decades or so go. Last year the leaves fell even later than they did at the late time they did this year.

Mainly this year and last year did I easily see some significant amount of deciduous trees in Philadelphia's northwest suburbs (even above both both Routes 1 and 202) being "basically green" over a week into November!

Don Klipstein

Friedman's reports are kind of histrionic, yet boring. Could you just tell us why we need a green revolution, and how it can renew America? That sure would be faster.

And how is that different from just saving energy, which we're already doing?

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

As energy gets more expensive, we'll use it more sparingly. Things tend to work that way.

Extrapolation will drive you crazy.

John

I was sort of hoping for a good ski season.

John

I figure measures to address AGW need to be at least a little anti-development since its development/consumption that's causing the problems....

Perhaps pestilence is the solution - SARS? Bird Flu? AGW?

Reply to
K Ludger

Motor sport (drag racing) organisers here have moved the season by nearly a month in the last 20 yrs. The seasons have shifted a little and meetings were rained out at one end of the season. Not too much hysteria with those guys, just lost profit $$. :)

Reply to
K Ludger

age

ng

wn

t of

ing

. =A0In

The BBC is saying that Exoon-Mobil's self-interested lies are regrettably effective in creatign dubts about anthropogenic global warming amongs the unsophisticated - which in this context includes you and Eeyore.

This an American reporter saying that nobody wants to believe in anthropogenic global warming. Nobody wants to believe that they are eventually going to drop dead either.

linear

)

The message you were sending ws clear enough.

all

hat

ef

hore

e a

s.

That claim is John Larkin's way of admitting that he doesn't have clue about the science involved, and is complacent about his ignorance (as usual).

You - personally - are going to die before anthropogneic global warming starts running away, Your kids will probably be equally lucky. If all the uncertain factors turn out to be uncertain in the wrong direction, your grandchildren could find themselves expiring in the middle of a new mass extinction. They wouldn't thank you for that particular legacy. The chance that the current cooling trend will continue is remarkably small - I had though that only a nitwit like Eeyore would fall for that sort of false extrapolation, but it seems I over-estimated your data-processing skills.

This is a thoroughly fatuous claim, as you should be aware. The earth cooled off appreciably some twenty million years ago - probably due to continental drift - and we happen to be the kind of ape who adapted most successfully to the cooler climate. It's less clear that we will do well if the temperatues rise back to their former levels - our agriculture depends on the weather being roughly the same from year to year, and global warming will cut yields all over.

What exciting new reinvention of the wheel do fell the need to boast about today?

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Ah, the keep-em-hungry and steal their minerals strategy. Good thinking.

Why take half measures? Why trust to luck? A German-style "solution" would control population, too.

John

John

This one?

John

Saving energy saves money. That's been driving conservation for decades...we're getting more and more efficient.

I just read a cool book on solar power inventions throughout history, up to modern times. Solar water heaters were super popular here in the US, because they saved money. Right up until just after WWII, that is.

Then cheap oil made solar the expensive option. And it died.

That was pretty much the punchline to all the solar vignettes in the book: "...and then it died."

(Some do seem promising still, though, esp. passive.)

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

Or demand our cars run on foodstuffs, so we could drive up the world price of food?

Oh, I guess we're already doing that.

Maybe a giant carbon tax too then, for good measure.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

My God! The sky is falling! And it's ALL OUR FAULT! The only way to SAVE THE WORLD is to install ALGORE as high priest and muckety-muck; he'll wave his magic wand and make everything all better![1]

Cheers! Rich [1] for the sarcasm-impaired: This is Sarcasm!

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

What John finds amusing is that there are people who have swallowed the whole AGW scam, hook, line, and sinker. "My God! If We Don't DO SOMETHING, Every Living Thing On The Planet is Going To DIE!"

Idiot.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

Perhaps you could take your own advice.

Howcome none of these "scientifie sources" even acknowledge the existence of clouds, let alone take them into account in their models?

Have any of you fanatics ever heard the term "albedo"?

Cheers! Rich