We Only Use 100% NATURAL Logarithms

Many years ago before everyone had PCs and before the Internet was a gleam in Al Gore's eye (lol) someone showed me a mock ad that touted how they used only 100% Natural logarithms along with other turns of phrases like "the UN-common log". I can't remember the entire spiel and a Google search doesn't turn up anything. This is blowing me away. I thought EVERYTHING had made its way onto the Internet by now. Is this the one item that somehow was lost to the vagaries of paper and time?

--

Rick
Reply to

Hell no. As a matter of fact almost all of what is on Internet is perceived to be popular in some form. For some time now i have had problems finding things on Internet, that i knew was there (at least once), and search engines could not find it. I usually could find another way to what i was looking for, not always; or sometimes only days later. Big Internet is becoming stifling censorship in spite of itself.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

That's why I have taken to downloading a page or document that I deem important to have for future reference. Because I've seen that too, just a few months down the road ... "Error 404 - File not found". Just like in the old CompuServe forum days, except there we stored for lack of bandwidth.

In fact, even the US phone system seems to be unraveling a little. There is an increasing number of participants that can no longer be reached reliably. Where you get through on one discount carrier but receive repeated "... cannot be completed as dialed" bounces on another. It seems not all carriers like each other anymore.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

There's only a couple of real networks... all the rest are resellers, and their low prices come with low access priority.

Cheap is as cheap does >:-} ...Jim Thompson

I think there used to be mandatory connectivity in the phone system. That's what seems to have gone out the window. Cheap or not, sometimes when you are on the road you have no choice. Or when people set up phone conferences.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I've only encountered one place in the US where Verizon had no signal... high up in the Appalachians, Franklin, WV, only me, hillbilly's and motorcycle gangs... and the sheriff was shooting them ;-) ...Jim Thompson

I like fake logs, as they will not burn...

Reply to
Robert Baer

Google destroying the indexing of the old Dejanews was a particularly sad piece of vandalism. The new improved Google groups can seldom find articles posted more than a couple of years back even given a title!

Wayback machine is your friend if the link ever did exist you can get dated snapshots of the early internet. Put an old URL in and marvel:

UK has a train system like that. This tickets only valid on trains from the train operator that you happen to choose on the same track!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Verizon is a bit over rated. I spend time in central Virginia and there are lots of places where the phone either won't work or drops calls. "No service" is a bit of a requirement, but there are plenty of places in the US where cell phones just don't work very well.

But I think the conversation was about land lines actually.

--

Rick
Reply to

Yup, or phone numbers in general. The fact that now you cannot reach certain numbers via some carriers but you can via other was unheard of a few years ago. On the Internet that has become "normal" but it shouldn't be the case for phone lines.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Perhaps, but only because everyone else is so bad.

I was quite surprised on a trip up to Illinois in September. We got routed (cell phone GPS) through the back waters of KY, IN, and IL, on several 2-lane roads and I never lost the data link until I got back to civilization along an Interstate in IL. Of course I lost data connection driving *through* Columbus, OH, a year ago.

It shouldn't be the case on the Internet, either. The Internet was designed to be more robust than that. Then, there's Windows...

Reply to
krw

[...]

No, has nothing to do with Windows. It's rogue copyright "agency" behavior. For example, a lot of links I send to Germans they end up not being able to see because their "agency" (GEMA) deemed some jingle or whatever on there to be violating copyright (as in their profit turf). Since they are "the law" they can stop whatever they please.

It is plain old censorship, happening in the western world. Then of course there are the various not-so-free countries where it's even worse.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I'll assume no one here has any recollection of this page from the past. Too bad, it was very well done with several jokes that only the STEM aware would appreciate.

--

Rick
Reply to

Yep. I dumped my fax landline, but I still maintain MyFax service ($3.95/month) for dealing with companies that live in the past ;-) ...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | Phoenix, Arizona 85048 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

Why that? I have a Brother multi-function machine. It lives on the same phone line as I do. Through the miracles of DSPs and all this good stuff it can sense whether what's coming in is a fax, and then take over. If it makes a mistake I can override it but it never made one in all the years I had it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

? 2013?2?16????UTC+

8??10?19?27??rickman ??

Reply to
huang lin

he

rty

ds

al

his

If zoning was changed to allow

may

ld

he

ard

of

town

ve

he

ns.

The odd thing is that you're unwittingly doing the same thing with Obamacare--a sort of uncompensated urban renewal--yet don't see the parallel.

--
Cheers,
James Arthur

year

his

That's a lie (not yours). The claim arises from a finding that most people (62%) who go bankrupt also don't pay their doctors (i.e. have medical bills), along with their other creditors. The number bankrupt

*because* of medical bills is a small fraction of that.

The lie has been widely disseminated until it has become an accepted truth--it even appears in the biggest lie of all, Obamacare itself. (sect. 10106(a)).

Of course that number would be even less if Congress hadn't already run up the cost of medical care with their idiocies.

If your point is that even a small fraction is unacceptable, that even one life saved is worthwhile, then I agree--let's assign four police officers 24/7 to protect each child. If one life's saved, it's worth it.

--
Cheers,
James Arthur

Bad idea. One of the cops would see the kid "reaching for her waistband" and they'd all empty their Glocks into her.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Oh stop being logical, before you're accused of being anti-children.

These guys--libertarian surgeons--are great:

They made their own surgery center. There they do the same procedures they used to do at the hospital for 1/4 or less, with prices on the web. Doctors and patients love it. That's what health care could be. If it cost half of what it costs today just about everyone could afford it, and whatever problems that remained would be made considerably less/easier to solve.

The government bs is mostly why medical care's expensive here--they wrecked it. It's like an auto body shop that charges outrageous prices, then points to their own not-working, outrageous prices as proof they need more government support.

You had some pretty good ideas too.

I know an awful lot about Obamacare--I've studied the damn thing. I wish I hadn't.

--
Cheers,
James