Recording natural phenomena?

Hi all, anyone know the "traditional" method of recording natural geo effects, such as whistlers and the dawn chorus?

I have erected a 75m Dia. wire loop in the trees around my garden, comprising many turns of wire. This I have plugged into the MIC input of my sound card, and I leave it recording overnight, but with a sound operated recording switch. I am using Adobe Audition to filter out the 50Hz, and to shift the frequency band down to 1/4 (5000Hz becomes 1250Hz) so the effects may be more easily seen. I have also hamradio software that threats the AF spectrum (0-20kHz) as an IF and detects modulated carriers within that band.

So far I have only recorded the clocking of the neighbours 2-stroke motorcycle, plus one really WeIrDe tone, around 8kHz (lasting about 15 seconds.

Any ideas as to a better method of recording?

Reply to
Harry Lippitz

You are heading in the right direction. You need to throw away most of the data and only keep the interesting bits. For you, the interesting bits are in a band of frequencies. Now you may want to write some software and use the sound card on a PC. You want to only keep the data where something pokes above the random noise.

Reply to
MooseFET

No idea about the weird tone but it could be something like the ignition phase of a gas furnace. Newer ones have a little electronic HV generator that runs an arc for about 15 secs to make sure the flame starts when the propane or natural gas rushes in.

Maybe provide an amplifier somewhat away from the computer gear and differential feed.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

When I did this, as a kid, I made a square loop antenna on a wooden x-frame, something like 50 or 100 turns, about a meter square. Stuck a cap across it and ran it into an audio amp. I heard a little hum, some obvious noise clicks, lots of presumed lightning, and the occasional very strange chirp/whistle thing.

I'd suggest a smaller loop, to just sample the local H-field without acquiring too much of the near-field junk from the motorcycle and such.

John

Digital voice recorders. You need to get away from the power mains. But filtering is done by some. Google for VLF natural radio, a portion of the amateur radio community does this.

I made a McGreevy receiver on a breadboard. Drive to a rural area. Listen with headphones.

Some links to get you started.

bw