What is the use of FLUX when we solder?

Reply to
WAZ

To remove oxides / sulphides etc from the surfaces being soldered.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

It combines with the surface oxide and excludes atmospheric oxygen from making more oxide.

This allows the liquid metal (solder) to contact solid metal without oxides being between them, which would inhibit their forming a thin intermetalic layer that connects them together.

Reply to
John Popelish

Cleans the base metal(s) of the joint, both physically (floats crud away) and chemically (eats various things that would keep the solder form sticking), and prevents post-cleaning formation of an oxide layer that would keep the solder from sticking.

--
Don Bruder - dakidd@sonic.net - If your "From:" address isn\'t on my whitelist,
or the subject of the message doesn\'t contain the exact text "PopperAndShadow"

And most importantly, it gives you that wonderful "I'VE been SOLDERING!" scent.....:-)

Bob M.

Reply to
Bob Myers

Yeah, there is that factor, now that you mention it :)

--
Don Bruder - dakidd@sonic.net - If your "From:" address isn\'t on my whitelist,
or the subject of the message doesn\'t contain the exact text "PopperAndShadow"
ever knowing it arrived. Sorry...  for more info
Reply to
Don Bruder

"WAZ" wrote in news:1156269086.214924.162280 @b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

IME, it has a tendency to warm parts through faster so you have to apply the soldering iron for less time to make a joint. It seems I sometimes get better joints when I use flux. (I'm not doing PC boards here, it's soldering wires to model railroad rail.)

It's also useful for "recharging" desoldering braid.

Puckdropper

Puckdropper

That's because it aids the 'wetting' of the components that in turn leads to better thermal transfer.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Don't notice that at all with a Metcal.