Village Idiot of Today

hen

their

ls

the

ters

If you had a chance to read the book "Freakanomics" a year or so back, the author suggests that the Crime Drop in the mid 90's was directly attributable to Row v. Wade. (There was a percipitous drop in crime because a majority of the would-be criminals were aborted.)

It's an interesting theory, and convincingly well-supported in the text.

But whether you agree with the reasoning or not, I still find it downright funny that Rudy Gulliani claims credit for lowering the crime rate in New York (while it was dropping everywhere!, and when possibly the credit goes to a decision he and many other Republicans abhor.)

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

Uh, no. When you fill out your W-4, you put whatever you want on it. I put zero, and have the max taken out, and get the max return at year's end. If one wanted to claim 4 , one could, but if one ended up owing a lot at the end of the year, the boys down at the IRS would be getting on your ass about it. You ARE, however, allowed to claim more than you actually have, and get less taken out. It does NOT, however, change what you owe at years end. It CAN, however, (and usually does) change their attitude toward you, if said claims and lower deductions result in a high deficit. They want to draw interest on your payments, and NOT have to worry about you asking for time to pay a larger than normal debt.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

You like lending your money to the Infernal Revenuers at zero interest?

Reply to
Stephen J. Rush

I have no idea what you think you're saying 'no' to because the optional employer withholding 'for you' hasn't got one blessed thing, as you yourself said, to do with what you actually end up owing nor does it have anything to do with what a company will offer as salary.

Reply to
flipper

Hwat else do you expect from a 'Village Idiot'?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I think the simpler explanation is there's a significant enough number of them to matter and the Republican Party is 'closer', or 'more useful', to their views than the other.

Yes, well, U.S. politics has reached a level of absurdity not seen since the left tore apart the 1968 Democratic Convention.

Reply to
flipper

Oh boy. I lose a whole $50 worth of dividends... maybe.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

radiosrfun wrote: > Maybe he doesn't understand ILLEGAL = NOT > ON THE TAX ROLLS. They may be working, but not paying into the tax > system. THAT is what hurts the system.

All the unpaid tax revenue from the illegals x1000 and it still is a negligible fraction of the money wasted...they are not a problem. *AND* tax evasion is so rampant among the *LEGAL* Americans, that the IRS has given up prosecuting cases involving less than $40K, there's just not enough legal resource to handle the load. Apparently *LEGAL* Americans are a *MUCH BIGGER* tax problem than poor working immigrants. Why aren't you ranting about them?

They do sign up for military service, in droves...

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

If those illegals are in more urgent need of prompt medical care then they should be first, I have no problem with that. I could not imagine the kind of person who would do otherwise on the basis of citizenship status.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

We've had "citizens" die in emergency waiting rooms, while illegals are getting something for their runny nose. They use it like a doctor's office visit.

Sooner or later there's going to be a war....

...Jim Thompson

Could you provide a link to a news story of one of those events?

Reply to
Richard Henry

So, patch them up good enough to transport, and carry them to the border and say, "Here, this one's yours. And here's the bill."

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

Yea, let's vote in the "FairTax" it picks up the underground economy.

Reply to
mike

What _really_ needs to be done is to strip the federal gov't back to Constitutional levels.

Vote me in, and I will fire the IRS!

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

Not even the number of illegals is known, much less how much unreported income, so, as is typical for liberals, you simply 'make up' something.

So your logic is that 'illegal' is ok as long as one can point to a 'bigger illegal'. Just rob 'small' banks, eh?

More 'made up' nonsense. The fact is that most 'non compliance' issues, among those who *file*, are math errors caught by automated programs and it doesn't matter how 'little' the return is.

Probably because that wasn't the topic.

Is that a homestead sized heard or a King Ranch sized herd?

Reply to
flipper

Without liberals from where would we draw our village idiots ?:-)

[snip]

...Jim Thompson

Outsourcing is just the productive element (literally, the producers) of society fleeing excessive burdens. When the mosquitos get too thick, the herd moves on (or dies).

As an example, I was listening to a great, 5-decade-old Pete Seger song a few years back, "Talking Union." The theme was unionizing, fighting unjust, evil bosses, citing successes in autos and moving on to unionizing the steel industry. The song mentioned several companies by name.

All were defunct save one, Bethlehem Steel, which, that day's news report related, closed its doors for the last time that very day.

Hey, since you're jealous, why don't you make something useful--maybe that hydrogen Hummer of yours--become a tycoon, then report back to us?

Best wishes, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

He supports that decision though. And the murder rate in New York City dropped 75% from 2400/year to 600/year while he was mayor. I don't think it dropped nearly that much nationally.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.

From whatever was left. A village can't survive for long without it's idiot to spur others on to work harder, and smarter.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I'm more concerned with the increasing lack of honor and decency.

Reply to
flipper