v for frequency?

But only when they are in season. No-one has ever managed to successfully farm haggis, they only thrive in the wild.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

I'm certain she can work with fractions in a normal context but 20 or 21 works better when you're hunting through a set of open ends than looking for the one between 12/16ths and 14/16ths.

Reply to
rbowman

I think they have garlic ice cream but I don't know about garlic custard. It can get foggy in that part of the world but you always knew when you were close to Gilroy -- or Coalinga. Gilroy was better.

Reply to
rbowman

We had a Korean QA tester and I really miss her. She'd get hungry and come to see what I had to trade for dried squid. I tried to pass off a bag of pork rinds but she brought them back for exchange.

Kimchee is good too. Last week I found my Korean red pepper was over the hill so this batch is traditional sauerkraut with juniper berries and caraway seeds.

Reply to
rbowman

Yes.

Me neither.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Not convinced. The russians have always been into cannon fodder and still are given that they now use their prison inmates for that.

And they are one of the few countrys that still has conscription.

I doubt it.

I doubt that too.

Thats not why Britain invented the industrial revolution and Germany did so well with their tech innovations, particularly in chemistry and medicine.

Not very surprising given who they get to meet and lower mobility.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Fraid not.

That wasnt the reason that Britain invented the industrial revolution.

Thats very arguable indeed given the way the US took over industrially and later with everything from credit cards, clothes, cars, aircraft, microsoft, google, facebook etc etc etc.

Reply to
Rod Speed

In message snipped-for-privacy@pvr2.lan, Rod Speed snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

Certainly not 'always'.

Certainly not 'never'. [You've probably led a sheltered life.]

Certainly not 'rarely'.

"Variety is the spice of life."

Reply to
Ian Jackson

I doubt if any American has seen or even tasted real Haggis as the USA ban the import. Instead they get some artificial factory produced substitute made from minced sheep offal and oatmeal.

Here in England we get Faggots. Much the same as the factory produced Haggis above but made with pig offal instead of sheep offal.

Reply to
alan_m

My wife and I agree on one thing: that brussels sprouts are deeply unpleasant (unfortunately, for me that extends to all boiled/steamed veg). But she found a way of making them palatable (ie less unpleasant) - boil them in the same pan as carrots: the sweetness of the carrots offsets the sprouty flavour of sprouts. I can imagine that bacon has a strong enough flavour to offset it as well.

Reply to
NY

I can cope with fractions - providing they are tenths ;-)

Reply to
NY

Better to quote the sizes in thousands of an inch rather than fractions: 688 thous means a lot more to me than 11/16 inch.

Reply to
NY

IIRC my husband got a set marked in "large print" a few years ago.

In any event, he doesn't work under the car. He prefers carpentry, although he works on our lawn tractor because hiring that is stupid expensive. I'm much more likely to be asked to cut a 2x4 to a specified length.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Depends on what you work with on a regular basis. Hand me the 17mm wrench, please.

Reply to
Ed P

But nowadays faggots seem to be mostly liver, without the rest of the offal such as pancreas (sweetbreads) and heart and not always wrapped in the caul/cawl fat.

But the frozen variety by Brains Ltd are quite acceptable.

We do get a Sainsburys' haggis for Burns Night (25th Jan) the day before Australia Day (26th Jan).

Talking of Australia Day, some years ago we were on the strength of the bellringers in Bathampton, and did a special performance on Australia Day for the blessing of the Admiral Philips memorial chapel (First governor of Australia)

Reply to
gareth evans

rbowman

Good luck finding a 688 thousandths open end wrench in a SAE set.

Reply to
rbowman

The US benefits from mass levels of constructive chaos. It's like evolution, random mutation and selection. Many of the driving forces of modern civilization were invented by amateurs in the USA.

Great inventions in fact happen *from* the above lamented lack of culture and ideology.

Exactly. Lunatics bring down establishments.

That sounds, well, novel. Or repulsive.

We poor provincials have to make do with chicken-apple sausage and anduille.

The garlic ice cream is actually quite tasty. And the aroma of the festival is delicious by itself. It used to be a fun way to spend a hot weekend.

Unfortunately, the gun nuts have closed it down, since they can no longer get insurance after the last festival where some nut with an assault rifle killed several of the guests.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal