v for frequency?

I was born in the back of an already-ancient 1936 Ford.

How about Stornoway Black Pudding?

Reply to
charles

Similar situation in Guildford. Once, at lunchtime, I passed a mixed sex group. One of the girls broke away saying "I wouldn't sleep with you." and reaching the middle of the road "Even if you paid me!"

Reply to
charles

Yep. I know. I have zero interest in either hominy grits or corn grits. There's a decent chance I won't like polenta.

No menudo for me, thanks.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Bob's Red Mill is what I bought. I really like their red whole-grain bulgur.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

That broadly matches my memory.

A lot of school and uni kit was in C/s or cps or 'cycles'. There was even then a move towards MKS harmonization of all scientific and engineering units, and we were gradually moving in the direction everywhere quite without any unnecessary intervention of political bodies.

I note from watching many car mechanic you tube videos that even proper US made cars are moving to metric screws. And things like a "12.5mm wrench" are mire likely than a 'half inch'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In S africa its called 'mealies' or 'mealie pap'

And eaten with the fingers. And a dollop of scalding hot curry on top as a savoury dish.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have nephews and nieces in Berlin, Sussex, Cape Town, Sydney, Oslo...

It always makes me smile when people accuse Brexiteers of being parochial little Englanders. We are the descendants of the first globalists the world ever had.

It is those who never left home except to get as far as Benidorm who are the parochial remainers.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I bet you make your porridge with rolled oats rather than oatmeal (which is ground oats with the bran removed).

Reply to
Max Demian

Did you like Bob's grits? Some people don't get into grits.

Mo likes "Bob's Red Mill 5 Grain Rolled Hot Cereal" which I admit is less disgusting than oatmeal.

The Albers white grits has a hint of bitter, easily overcome with enough salt and pepper and butter.

If you make a big batch of either, you can save the exess in the fridge and, next day, slice it into slabs and fry it, like a pancake. Serve with maple syrup and blueberries. It is tricky to fry, being 80% water. I think Italians fry polenta, same idea.

Southern and cajun/creole food used to be rare in the bleak frozen hinterlands. After Katrina emptied New Orleans, there was a culinary diaspora that greatly improved the country.

There are only two original American cuisines, cajun/creole and BBQ.

Food is like electronic design. Try something crazy now and then.

Both are great fairly scorched. Add garlic late so it doesn't burn.

George Bush senior had a great line:

"I am the President of the United States of America and I will not eat broccoli."

proximity effect

That opens negotiations.

In message snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, John Larkin snipped-for-privacy@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com writes

Better still, don't add it at all. I hate the stuff. It's the Work Of The Devil, and its taste is detestable. Unfortunately, it now seems to be a de rigueur ingredient in all prepared foodstuff (except, maybe, custard).

I believe this was because it instantly goes cold after (or even before) serving. [Which is certainly true.]

Reply to
Ian Jackson

People are different. Some people will actually, voluntarily, eat cilantro. I detest anything in the eggplant/cucumber/squash category.

But I like pickles. I assume that pickling destroys some obnoxious chemical in cucumbers.

One day I said "I may have used too much garlic" and Mo replied "Excuse me, but I didn't understand that."

Enough garlic and bacon makes brussels sprouts almost edible.

It's still yummy, for instance raw in salads.

My brother, a contemporary of GHWB, once said that was the only point where he ever agreed with Bush. In his later years he was on warfarin and took great pleasure in having an excuse to give broccoli a pass.

Reply to
rbowman

All good recipes start with several cloves of garlic and an onion.

Reply to
rbowman

Enough melted butter makes lutefisk edible.

Reply to
rbowman

An Italian friend of mine says that there are two things you cannot use too much of - Garlic and Basil.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal