v for frequency?

17mm wrench? Try spanner.
Reply to
alan_m

Sprouts are OK if cooked correctly and not boiled or steamed to death aka uk school dinner cooking method (hopefully things have improved over the years in school canteens).

Spouts also benefit from being field to shop in a very short time span.

Reply to
alan_m

Which ones do you believe those are ?

Reply to
Rod Speed

Mexico, Nicaragua, Honduras, El Salvador, Belize, Guatemala, Haiti...

Do you think those storming the southern border are all rocket scientists in disguise? For the most part they didn't have the skills to make it at home.

Reply to
rbowman

Quite a different animal in the rest of the world.

Reply to
rbowman

I'm one of those people who cannot distinguish by eye between one spanner/wrench and other of very similar size (*), so I always have to look at the number stamped on it. Especially with socket-spanners where they are all lined up in ascending order in the box. And I find it easier to read "17 mm" than "11/16 inch". I suppose I prefer to use integers of a smaller unit (millimetre) than fractions of a larger unit (inch).

(*) My wife is just the opposite: she can't understand how anyone can't remember what two similar spanners look like, having seen one and then the other (ie not side-by-side), and then select the correct one by eye. Likewise with judging the weight of thing: this potato is "obviously" heavier than the other one, judging either by holding one and then the other, or else by judging the size of them even though they are completely different shapes.

Reply to
NY

I've not yet found any way of cooking them which serves the fundamental aim of destroying that horrible "green" flavour. Maybe I just don't like chlorophyll in green veg. ;-)

Reply to
NY

I use the number closest to what I'm measuring on the tape.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Dafuq? I always call it SI.

And CGS? People use centimetres? Do they not grasp the concept of whole units matching nicely?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Why did he say 656? Is that yank?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Give a man 2.54 cm and he'll take 1.6 km.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I can't understand yanks not using stones. They put their weight in just pounds, which means you get a ridiculously high number which is meaningless, then try to divide it by 14 in your head! Do they also measure their car speed in inches per hour?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Only my English grandmother said "presently" for in a while. Every other English person uses it to mean right now.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Only if you're really posh, otherwise you'd say shortly. Which could mean you're going to shrink in the rain.

This person would not say "I am presently smoking":

Commander Kinsey

No they don't.

" I will be there presently". Because of the furrier tense, 'presently' can only refer to the future (the immediate future), ie 'very soon', 'in a moment', 'in a while' etc.

"I am there presently". Because of the present tense, 'presently' can only mean 'now', 'at the moment' etc.

There is no ambiguity.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

I've seen roadworks signs in Massachusetts which say something like "Roadworks in 5280 feet" (that's 1 mile to everyone else!). That was in the late 1990s.

Reply to
NY

All Americans shoot, so surely yards would work well in traffic?

Do you check your checks? So much easier to call them cheques.

Not that anyone uses them in the 21st century. I don't even use cash. Which was handy, I went to park at a beach to go scuba diving and a man approached me asking for £2 to park. I offered him a credit card, I offered him my phone, but he wanted cash. I ended up getting let in for free. I later heard him arguing with another driver who only had a £10 note. The stupid car park operator was putting the coins straight into a jar through a slot and couldn't give him £8 change. I walked over and suggested he keep the next four fees in his hand and give them to the first driver. He looked at me as though I was Einstein.

Why not dd/mm/yyyy? Start with the smallest, move to the largest. You're ruining the world when a website asks for a date and doesn't specify if it's English or American format.

What flavours?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I don't even use cash.

Reply to
alan_m

The safety standards for electrical devices are amusing. In the US, there's less chance of electrocution but more chance of fire, since you use pansy amounts of voltage and mega thick cables for the doubled current.

Really stupid, since if someone makes a device which will run on both voltages, they have to have thick enough cables/circuit board tracks and also components to handle the higher voltage.

Just stick with 240 will you? You've already got it in your homes, you don't have to split it in half. Change all your sockets to one standard 13A 240V outlet. 3.2kW anywhere.

The French do as they please. Although it's not usually with safety. My Renault tries to sell itself by getting 5 stars in all the safety tests, mainly because it doesn't start.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Ausgezeichnet, die Einmarsch ist abgeschlossen. Ich werde den Führer informieren.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey