v for frequency?

I don't have a clue what the nuances of that are. I wouldn't use 'porridge' but when I made oatmeal this weekend I added dried cherries, a little stevia, and cinnamon. I hope that doesn't make me a Scot.

Reply to
rbowman

My wife was born across the river. It was a short walk. Do the positive effects offset the negative? Some countries aren't sending their best and brightest.

Reply to
rbowman

As I understand it, "real" Scotsmen regard porridge as a savoury dish, seasoned with salt, rather than (as everyone else does) a sweet dish, seasoned with sugar and maybe fruit.

Reply to
NY

Probably apocryphal but my brother had a story about a Yankee engineer working at Redstone during the BOMARC project. They were under a lot of pressure and everyone's fuse was a little short.

The engineer went to the same diner every morning for breakfast and would say "No grits." Being Alabama his order would always come with grits. Finally he snapped, threw the grits through a plate glass window saying "No goddamn grits!"

Reply to
rbowman

Yanks eat cream of wheat and toast Wonder Bread. Hopeless.

White grits. Yellow grits. Cheezy grits. Fried grits. Grits and hash.

I wonder how much that has changed. We do have one long distance in the family, my sister married a guy from England but to counter that my daughter is married to the boy next door.

Reply to
Ed P

I probably could eat it with salt and butter. A couple of times I've forgotten sugar and it was nearly sweet enough. I generally add raisins, since brown sugar is already in play.

Oatmeal for breakfast every day. Rolled oats, though, so perhaps that's a disqualifier.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Not this Yank. No CoW, no Wonder Bread. Ok, I take that soft, white stuff and stick it up a turkey's ass for Thanksgiving. Real bread doesn't have that nostalgic texture.

I've never eaten grits, but I got some polenta last week at the grocery store. I'll experiment with it. Probably put red sauce and Italian sausage on top.

What kind of hash? I'm not a big hash eater, either.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

IIRC, the UK only started using Hz in the early 70s. This was probably around when we joined the EEC, but I don't think that this was the reason. Until then, I had only seen Hz used on German testgear (Rohde & Schwarz etc). I believe that it was originally intended to use Hz only for electrical frequency.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

"Real" Scotsmen also eat Haggis. 'nuf said.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Am 03.04.23 um 23:12 schrieb Scott Lurndal:

I tried it on Orkney. It tasted better than the recipe reads.

<

When you are really hungry after a day's motorbiking, even English Black Pudding passes.

Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

They have been over hunted so there is a ban on hunting Haggis this and next year to let numbers recover.

Reply to
alan_m

While my wife and I were born in the same English hospital (indeed there is a 50/50 chance that her mother was the midwife when I was born), both her parents were born in what is now the Republic of Ireland, but while it was still part of the UK.

Reply to
SteveW

My family have quite a few long distance marriages, including mine.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I prefer the cream of kasha I make after running some roasted kasha through my Back to Basics hand crank mill.

I do add hominy when I make pea soup. It's a Quebec thing. It isn't clear to me if grits are really hominy grits or if they're plain old corn meal mush. I assume the white variety is hominy.

Reply to
rbowman

Not the same, at least for hominy grits. To make hominy you soak dent corn in lye until the hull sloughs off. You can stop there or dry it out and grind it for grits. The polenta I've gotten is just coarse cornmeal and is yellow.

The easiest place to find canned hominy is in the Hispanic aisle. It's used in menudo among other things. I think you can get dried hominy but I've never seen it in markets.

Reply to
rbowman

My school was an all-boys grammar school but there was an all-girls high school on the opposite side of the road. The headmaster of the grammar school and the headmistress of the high school disapproved of "their boys" or "their girls" fraternising with "members of the opposite sex" on the pavements between the schools, but the tarmac between one kerb and the other was generally regarded as neutral ground, so the white line down the centre was a (rather risky) snogging ground ;-) Fortunately there wasn't too much traffic going along that road.

Our school had a swimming bath, so a couple of times a week a class of girls would parade through our playground to the swimming pool, and the entrance to the changing room was *very* strongly guarded by a couple of high school teachers ;-) On occasions, a girl would "accidentally on purpose" leave her swimming costume in the changing room for her boyfriend to find ;-)

Mostly the two schools were completely separate, but there were a few (a very few) classes in the sixth form which were shared - mainly on the arts side: no girls ever joined us for maths, physics or chemistry. Also the two school joined forces to put on a school play or Gilbert & Sullivan opera; they alternated between the grammar school and the high school as the venue for this. I helped with the lighting for several of the plays and operas, and took some photos for one of the plays. Our headmaster would have taken A Very Dim View (he always spoke in capitals!) of the antics I saw in the wings from my elevated position in the lighting gantry as the cast were waiting to go on-stage.

Almost all the teachers at the grammar school were male (and I think almost all those at the high school were female), but there were a few women teachers. My chemistry teacher in the sixth form was a lovely Lancashire lass only a few years older than us, though she kept a very distinct professional distance: she flirted a little and could be teased, but woe betide anyone who overstepped the mark.

One of the art teachers was built like a catwalk model: her clothes were perfect, her makeup was perfect, her perfume was perfect, she moved gracefully as if she was on castors. And yet (there's always an "and yet", isn't there?) she wasn't half as attractive and as fancied by the boys as she liked to think she was. I think she was guilty of "the sin of trying too hard" (she exuded an aura of "look at me: aren't I gorgeous"). She occasionally took sixth-form private study in the library, and she'd walk around, looking over boys' shoulders in a rather off-putting way, and making almost inaudible, slightly orgasmic moans as she walked around. Very odd woman. She gave me the creeps, and I wasn't the only one by a long chalk to feel like that. It was the chemistry teacher I dreamed of...

Reply to
NY

Ah, Blutwurst... I used to have it with eggs for breakfast not supper. I haven't seen it for a long time. I never had black pudding but I think it's heavier on grain than most Blutwurst or boudin rouge.

I think the mad cow paranoia spread to pig's blood.

Reply to
rbowman

I use the band saw at work to slice Tartine sourdough.

I forgot to mention the classic, Shrimp and Grits. Google that; it's a big deal.

Yellow corn meal is sold as both grits and polenta. The only real difference is the price on a menu.

My mom made hash from chunks of beef, onions, and potatoes, sort of a stew. We were poor so sometimes had grits for dinner with a bit of something on top.

We have Albers Quick Grits at our local Safeway. Amazon has it too. It's a pretty good classic white grits, basically a substrate for butter and salt and pepper.

Bob's Red Mill yellow grits, also at Amazon, is good, with a bit more flavor than the white stuff.

OK, grits and eggs for breakfast tomorrow.