v for frequency?

Nah, it just greases it sufficiently to slide down past the taste buds quicker.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

We've been getting astonishing purple onions lately. I make little teriyaki slider burgers on Hawaiian buns, and I make Mo (not much of a meat eater) teriyaki onion rounds on same.

Haven't tried it yet. I felt like nachos for lunch today. Maybe tomorrow I'll do polenta with hot Italian sausage and sugo.

Here's what I bought:

I might try that on my husband.

Although I like BBQ, I'm not that fond of Cajun/Creole or BBQ. I much prefer Asian food. Anything from Suez to Seoul.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

We like this one:

Do. Grits is boy food.

Dumplings are big lately.

Korean, fabulous:

[snip]

Guilty.

I do like Brussels sprouts, especially cut in half, oiled, and broiled in the stove like meat. Or fried in a cast iron pan.

And I'll eat cooked garlic cloves left over from cooking.

I like broccoli, but not alone, or loose in a salad. Works well as a stir-fry ingredient, or in a sauce.

War Story: In the late 1970s, in Baltimore, a college friend of mine was preparing a special meal for her boyfriend. She is Jewish/Catholic, and he is an Indian from a hot and slow part of India.

For some reason, she gave me the task of deciding how much chili pepper to put in the dish, which was some traditional Indian recipe. I looked at him, then her, and back at him. And doubled the chili level suggested in the recipe from a American cookbook.

He was very happy. She was dying, sweating, conflicted. (It was a bit too hot for me, but it was good.)

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

Dim Sum, for me. Har Gow, Shao Mai, Sharks Fin dumpings, and dozens of other varieties. There are a couple of very nice hole-in-the-wall dim sum joints along (or in side streets just off) Grant Avenue from Bush St. north.

The turnip cakes with chinese pork sausage bits are another favorite as are the rice noodle rolls. And of course egg rolls and pork buns.

For the more experimental, chicken feet are pretty good (sauteed; I'm not fond of the pickled ones).

The frozen bibligo dumplings from Costco are OK, but not as good as authentic dim sum.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Garlic has its place. I use it in spaghetti bolognese for the kids (I don't like any form of past or tomato myself). We occasionally make our own garlic bread, with huge quantities of garlic, as long as we are not planning to see anyone for the next few days!

A friend is a professional welder. One of his colleagues went to a pub that was due to hold a garlic eating competition. He complained that he wouldn't be able to make it at the planned time and the landlord told him that he could do it there and then and he'd be a witness. The competition was cancelled because there was not enough garlic left. The next morning the workshop was evacuated, because he was sweating garlic odour to such an extent that they though that there was an acetylene leak.

Reply to
SteveW

Several cloves? A bulb at least!

Reply to
SteveW

Did the romance survive?

Breaux Bridge LA used to have an annual cayenne pepper eating contest, at the crawfish festival. Maybe still does.

It did, only to collapse about a year later when the man's family called him home to meet and marry the bride they had chosen for him. This is the tradition where he came from.

He went home, and we lost contact with him.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

It depends. This weekend was oatmeal. I also have and use steel cut oats but the cooking time is much longer. If I plan ahead I soak them overnight.

Those are available in most markets although I use domestic brands that are quite a bit cheaper in the bulk bins.

Oat groats from a feed store are even cheaper. Rolled oats from a feed store are not suggested unless you really want to increase your roughage. They aren't hulled prior to steaming and rolling.

Reply to
rbowman

The island had been conquered and populated by anyone who could build a rudimentary boat. Before Doggerland sank the Northern Hunter Gatherers didn't even need the boat.

Reply to
rbowman

I have tools in both systems. Even my 1986 Ford pickup throws in a little metric every now and then. The forks, carb, and other bits on the Harley are Japanese and hence metric. Only the Toyota car and Suzuki bikes have no surprises.

When working under car a female significant other can copy better with metric sizes than 'Give me the damn 13/16"

Reply to
rbowman

One year when sweetcorn was cheap at the end of the season I bought a few dozen ears, dried them, and ground the kernels in a hand mill. Now there was some tasty cornmeal mush. If you've ever tried to eat fresh dent corn you'd appreciate the difference.

Reply to
rbowman

I get their stuff if I can't find it in the bulk food bins. It's good but they're rather proud of it.

Reply to
rbowman

And BBQ starts with a pig and never gets near a tomato... The two variants are sliced or chopped.

Reply to
rbowman

One of my cookbooks says "If your friends don't like garlic get new friends"

(I don't think it applies here though!)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

We'll see. The stuff I bought was available at my regular grocery store.

My husband doesn't like anything that has a pudding-like texture.

Looks more Chinese than Korean, although I see they have a Korean BBQ Beef Dumpling.

Out of the dozen or so Korean restaurants, we usually go here:

Cindy Hamilton

Your female significant other, perhaps. I'm quite comfortable with fractions.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton