USDA Suppressing Research- Rice Heading For Collapse

hen

er the last bits

-tech agrarian

usion to this line of reasoning?

Only if you ignore what is actually going on. Failing to pay attention to a nthropogenic global warming is a necessary part of the pollyanna delusion.

We have enough oil, coal and gas to drive us far enough into anthropogenic global warming to engineer a spectacular population crash - if we were sill y enough to ignore all the early warning signs.

The big fusion reactor in the sky is already providing a lot more energy th an we are going to need for a some generations to come, and the cost of sol ar cells has already dropped enough to make them the cheapest power source in countries fairly close to the equator, and by the time they are providin g close to 10% of our energy (rather than the 1% they do at the moment) the y will probably cost a quarter of what they do now (which should cover the extra cost of the batteries and the pumped storage we'll need to keep the l ights on overnight).

John Larkin really can't be bothered to work out what it would take to star t a new ice age.

We've already burnt enough fossil carbon to make that impossible for the ne xt 800 years or so. It turns out that this was always going to a long inter glacial, so we really shouldn't have bothered.

It would be a good idea to save enough so that we could. Sadly, the fossil carbon extraction industry wants as much money as possible right now, and d oesn't seem to have any interest in hanging onto a world where that money m ight buy anything more than mere survival (and only for those with pots of money).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

So, you're countering the Trump promise to reverse Roe vs. Wade?

So, we conserved those?

So, universalprenatal health care is one of your bits of 'progress'? And education presumably doesn't encompass Trump Academy?

Gonna reinstate the EPA watching out for air, soil, and water contaminants?

We have many benefits of civilization, but mainly it's not 'stuff'. Primitives have roofs, but NOT civilization. We have roofs, but now lack open international trade...

So, you've got evidence that'll impeach Trump? Why would I not approve, if the evidence isn't faked?

Alas, like Trump, you're a bit of... a facile liar.

Reply to
whit3rd

I was thinking more about millions of people dying from cholera and parasites in their drinking water, not parts-per-trillion of insecticides making it through their Brita filters or into their Pellegrino.

It sounds like you are mean and nasty and don't care about other people. I'm not surprised.

I bet you personally do nothing to help the worst-off of humanity, the "primitives" as you call them.

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

John Larkin is mean and nasty. He gets surprised when he is called on it.

He regards other people who don't give him the flattery he craves (and thinks he deserves) as mean and nasty.

If he were less of a gullible twit he might even be able to earn some the approval he so earnestly desires, but campaigning for more Trump and for more anthropogenic global warming is irritatingly wrong-headed.

Why would he think that? It's a mean and nasty allegation based on entirely on a desire to post something unpleasant even if entirely unfounded.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Malaria is a big killer, cholera not so much. Deaths per year worldwide for malaria, about half a million; for cholera, about 0.002 million. Your concern is shallow, if you didn't know that.

Not thinking about Brita and Pellegrino? That obviously didn't last, since you're the one to bring it up in this context. Seems a bit arrogant and dismissive to me.

Reply to
whit3rd

Wiki:

What's shallow about caring about 5 million people getting sick?

What do you personally do to reduce the damage done to "primitives" by malaria?

Snip the question, probably.

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

nants?

e for malaria, about half a million;

't know that.

uses

Diverting the question to Africa and South East Asia when the Trump adminis tration's emasculation of the EPA is endangering children near you.

You can buy a virtuous glow by sending some money to be spent in Africa. Yo ur civic duty is to look after your neighbours, but you've been bought off by an irresponsible cut in the corporate tax rate.

ince you're the

e to me.

I hold shares in the Australian Commonwealth Serum Laboratories (now privat ised and trading as CSL).

ncement-press-release

The long term solution is an anti-malaria vaccine. GlaxoSmithKline has deve loped one that is now being used in clinical trials.

hed-in-malawi

Since John Larkin was not asking the question to get information but rather as a way of being rude, this would be an appropriate response.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Bill,

so so many of your posts are comments ABOUT other PEOPLE.

Instead, why don't you try commenting on what they have to say.

Mark

Reply to
makolber

You snipped all the stuff that wasn't.

Take your own advice. Read the whole message and comment on it as a whole.

Text-chopping is a much worse crime than pointing out that some discussants make the same mistake all the time.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

You should be able to answer your own question if you think about it. He won't ever change.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Not in any way that NT will be able to perceive.

NT didn't notice that Mark had snipped most of what I'd posted, leaving only the personal comment. That's text-chopping. Some of my posts do include comments about other people, but that's not what they are about.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Well, when the person is the problem, that's what you address.

It's certainly what YOU are addressing. Are you wrong to do so? Or, just silly?

Reply to
whit3rd

he's almost managing humour tonight.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

licies.

He thinks in terms of reaching some sustainable maximum population that the earth will support rather than the possibility that we have already achiev ed that maximum population and passed it.

Rose colored glasses indeed. This is an area where it really doesn't take much thought or honest look at data to understand the potential problem. N one of know the exact numbers that will result in terrible things happening . But the level of catastrophe is so huge that it only makes sense to do r easonable things to prevent it. Instead, there are so many people who scre am and yell about how horrible things like renewable energy are because it might not be the most cost effective at this time or it can't do the job 10

0% without additional facilities or any of a dozen other not so well though t out excuses.

It just seems to make sense to stop denying there will be a problem and wor k a little bit to head it off.

Here is an interesting bit I was not aware of. Currently the largest non-c arbon contributor to the warming effect is refrigerants. CFCs and HCFCs ha ve been banned. HFCs have not. While HFCs do not attack the ozone layer, the initial problem we sought to repair, they are thousands of times more p otent as greenhouse gasses than CO2. One of the replacement refrigerants t hey are considering is CO2. lol!!!

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

nants?

e for malaria, about half a million;

't know that.

uses

ince you're the

e to me.

That's your way of dealing with the AGW issue is to chide others for not do ing enough about malaria while you do nothing?

Larkin is not in denial. He is insane.

--

  Rick C.

  -- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

On Wednesday, October 30, 2019 at 10:29:01 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrot e:

is an unrealistic attitude.

of his tunnel vision.

Lol! In the case of Larkin, the issue is largely his ego since his message s are so shallow. These discussions have been hashed and rehashed here bef ore many times. JL is an egoist who loves to strut his stuff. Bill is a.. . well, I don't know what to call him, but he loves to argue with those he can easily appear to beat even if it is just someone who is a complete idio t ranting nonsense.

Where have you been that you have not seen this performance before?

--

  Rick C.

  -+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

People do bait NT for comic effect. He will always rise to the bait.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to