RFID for insect research

Hi All,

I study insect movement and was thinking of using RFID to tag hundreds of insects in a swarm and try to learn about their movement this way.

I have a few technical general questions that would help evaluating the feasibility of this idea:

I understand that the RFID cheap can be very small, what about the antenna size? I will need to receive the signal from ~1 meter away and there might be some bushes / dirt in the way. in some cases can be up to a feet of dirt.

Is it possible to use several receivers and by synchronizing the receivers get by triangulation the location of each insect? and to do so at a reasonable rate so I can go over few hundreds insects within a few seconds? or minutes?

I have no limitation to the size of the receivers but will need that the tags to be small. I would like to glue them on beetles...

Thanks a lot Roy

Reply to
rw

Hello Roy,

I cannot answer your questions but wondered if you had come across insect tracking using harmonic radar

e.g. just one link from googling "harmonic radar"

IanM

Reply to
IanM