Rice cooker died

Hello,

We have a Salton Rice Steamer/Cooker Model: RA-3 that has been used less than a year and suddenly stopped working. It works very simply - you place raw rice and water in an aluminum bowl, then press down on a switch above were an AC cord inserts into the unit. This end of the cord is blocky and has two pin holes that mate with two protruding pins inside the unit... much like an electric griddle's cord.

Anyway, normally, when this switch is pressed down, it clicks and locks into position and a light comes on. After 30 minutes the switch releases and the rice is done. There is no timer that I can see in the unit - it must have to do with the expansion of some metal trigger from heat over that time frame.

This light will no longer come on and the cooking process likewise does not start. I unscrewed the bottom cap and looked in at the very simple workings

- nothing seemed to be broken or disconnected. The latch does stay in the "on" position when the weight of the full pot is pressing on the hot plate, so the spring mechanism involved is not broken. The cooker was not dropped and there is no visible damage.

Anyone have an idea what might be wrong?

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
Be

Maybe a Bad Cord !

Reply to
kip

I continually have to replace cords on appliances because my wife likes to pull on the wire instead of the plug itself when unplugging from the wall socket. Over time the wires in the cord break and the power is disconnected. If it were my rice cooker, I'd take Kips suggestion and check the cord first.

Reply to
cnctut

Took some effort to figure that out. The circuit switch is held closed by a curie point magnet underneath the central circular cup. So long as the rice is aboil the temperature will remain around 100 deg C, the boiling point of water. When the rice is cooked and fairly dry the temperature rises rapidly. Somewhere around 200 deg C say, the curie point of the magnet will be exceeded and the magnet will lose its magnetism. The spring below the circular cup pushes the cup up and breaks the circuit. With the circuit open the pot contents will cool and fall below the curie temperature. The switch is ready to be set again if you want to warm up the rice.

The pot must be sized to your cooker as per manufacturer. I had once substituted a less battered pot from another brand rice cooker. The strange things began to happen. At first it took longer to cook. Then it would undercook, leaving half raw rice when the switch triggered open.. I had to swith it on again to finish the cooking. Then I noticed one of the cooker's legs had sagged/melted. I took a look at the heater element and the aluminum had melted in places too. The cooker was toast. Took a few minutes to realise that the substiitute pot's bottom didn't fully conform to the heater element. The heat transfer rate was lessened. Thus the heater had to work harder to boil off the water (longer cooking time.) By repeated switching on again to finish the cooking, bit by bit the element became hot enough to melt the aluminum and the plastic leg.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

Interesting. I have a sensor microwave which has a rice setting. Works great.

NSM

My guess would be a thermal fuse, since you description of the internals as being very simple.

Be wrote: : Hello,

[...]

kmy

Bill:

My vote is definitely for the units internally mounted and sinked thermal fuse also, as I actually was approached by an associate to check out his unit, it being inoperative in the same manner.

ECG?s follow up replacement parts supplier NTE had a replacement unit that filled the replacement temp/current specs.

As for being a cord problem, the unit is probably not old enough for that, and even that requires a lot of coiling/flexing , like an ironing cord receives.

73?s de Edd
--
Edd Whatley
Reply to

Some people have a Nasty habit of pulling plugs out with the Cord.

Reply to
kip

Thermal fuse it was! Replaced it with one from Radio Shack and it has already made another batch of rice.

Thanks for your help and the education you provided.

Be

Reply to
Be