rice cooker

I bought this cheap rice cooker but i dont like it.. its not much better than a stovetop and pot.

the problem is that when its done cooking the rice it continues to "warm" which just means its keeps cooking but a bit slower i think.

I would prefer the unit stop cooking when the rice is tender and still in indivudual grains rather than going on to make a goooey mushy conglomerate.

cold tender rice can be microwaved later while still maintaining the minimally cooked texture and quality.

so i would like the cooker to STOP and cool when the cook cycle completes. I have dismantled the cooker in attempt to sperate the cooking and warming features but am again stumped.

a circuit diagram is available in the manual here:

my nooby opinion is that the diagram is not a schematic and i may still need to provide you a photo of both sides of the control panel.

the diagram seems show the unit is always cooking only to be slowed by the limiter and the thermostat. i cannot find the limiter..seems like may be a function of the microswitch and the pan-weighted thermal trigger

the only solution i see is a 110v rated relay that cuts the heating element when the micro switch closes.

not shown in the diagram is that the micro switch is thrown by a spring loaded weighted contact pad under the rice pan that senses the loss of weight and pops up to close the switch or perhaps that assy. is actually the "limiter" device since i have not identfied that device elsewhere..

i tried disconnecting the thermostat but the diagram agrees that the heater will still get power from the warm lamp circuit?

i think maybe u want photos of the internals of this thing?

Reply to
divx dude

A ball of sticky rice is pretty much the intended end point, so it's probably operating as designed. There *might* be U.S. market models by, e.g., Black and Decker or somebody, that have options to make "Western" style rice. Mine is an old Zojirushi and it, like yours, makes rice aimed at chopsticks and a bowl instead of a fork and plate.

Stopping it as soon as it finishes the cook cycle and enters the warming cycle should not, by design, change the texture all that much.

What you may be able to do is to experiment with reducing the rice to water ratio.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

D'oh! that should be "reducing the WATER to RICE ratio."

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Like Rich I also have an old Zojirushi which I got at a yard sale, but I found the manual online. It mentions that the texture and stickiness is largely a function of washing the rice before cooking; for sticky rice, don't rinse the rice before cooking it.

To keep it from going mushy, stir it every once in a while. Or, just eat it!

See page four.

For other cookers, same brand:

Also, note the many types of rice the Japanese use:

e_time.pdf

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
alien8752

But I like mushy rice!

Reply to
Jeff Johnson

Then you'll love Tapioca.

-- Politicians should only get paid if the budget is balanced, and there is enough left over to pay them.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I do! My wife hates it. Fortunately you can get Tapioca Pudding cups in the grocery store in the same area that has pre-made Jello :-) ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

Democrats are best served up prepared as a hash Otherwise the dog won't eat it :-)

And you can chew it for hours. ;-)

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Naaaah! Properly made Tapioca Pudding is smooth and nice :-)

It's amazing how many people have their diet restricted by a one-time (or more if your Mom couldn't cook :-) poorly executed recipe. ...Jim Thompson

          Democrats are best served up prepared as a hash
                Otherwise the dog won't eat it :-)

Having used (and continue to use) many rice cookers, I agree, the OP is probably using too much water with his (her?) rice. Properly done, once the cook cycle is done, warming is just that: keeps it warm, ready to serve.

Reply to
PeterD

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0| =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

I've been put off by pudding cup stuff ever since I was assigned to sit across Jeff Kerr in 3rd grade and got to watch him eat his pudding cup every day with his mouth open.

Reply to
brent

You can get rice cookers that make regular rice, sticky rice (similar to rice used in sushi) and rice soup. Fully programmable!

(But, proper sticky rice requires steaming to come out right, and of course the right type of rice to start with!)

Reply to
PeterD

[snip]

When I was in 3rd Grade (1948-49), pre-made pudding cups didn't exist :-) ...Jim Thompson

          Democrats are best served up prepared as a hash
                Otherwise the dog won't eat it :-)

Unfortunately I only see good Japanese rice in BIG bags :-( ...Jim Thompson

          Democrats are best served up prepared as a hash
                Otherwise the dog won't eat it :-)

There's good domestic rice, too; I like Kokuho Rose, available here in 5# bags (and larger).

Reply to
whit3rd

Simple rice cookers just snap off at a fixed temperature-- when the post that's in contact with the bottom of the bowl heats sufficiently (indicating the liquid is gone). All you can play with is the water/rice ratio and the type of rice. Less water makes the rice firmer, more makes it softer.

There are many kinds of rice- avoid the Japanese sushi varieties such as the premium California Kokuho Rose type if you don't like sticky rice. The typical ORDINARY Thai origin rices you'll find in Asian stores (typically in 18-lb bags) are less sticky (but still a lot more than Uncle Ben's rice). There's also Basmati (an Indian type with long thin grains and not very sticky) and the "broken" rice favored by Vietnamese. And also what the Chinese call "sticky rice", which is sweet as well as sticky and also comes from Thailand- used in deserts and wrapped in bamboo leaf or similar with filling as a snack. I suspect if you used Western-type quick cooking rice in a rice cooker, the results would be nothing short of horrific.

OTOH, our Zojirushi fuzzy logic rice cooker does some fancy stuff by optionally slow-cooking initially, so it has a bit more flexibility (but it's not quite as fast as a cheap rice cooker or just using a pot). It can even make congee (rice gruel) but I've never tried it (congee is a typical breakfast food), as well as brown rice (which takes forever to cook).

All rice cookers will keep the rice warm and ready to use for a few hours, longer than that and it can turn bad ("sour").

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Amazon has everything:-

Grown in the San Joaquin valley. Kind of a sad history:

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

My mother was an excellent cook, but some of my aunts weren't. They had no idea how bad they were, but you should have seen their kids ignore their mother's items at the family reunions. :)

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Thai rice, always cook with Thai rice--it's the best there is. (And yes, we do buy the big bags...)

Reply to
PeterD

Another trick to minimizing stickyness with rice is to add either a bit of butter or olive oil to the rice before cooking. Coats the grains so they don't stick as much. IMHO a bit of clumping is good as it makes it easier to eat.

Reply to
PeterD