Auto heading

Hello,

I need to develop an auto heading feature for a small underwater vehicle (ROV). On board there are a rate-gyro and a flux-gate compass. I was able to use the rate-gyro for short-term heading stabilization, that is it tries to maintain the current heading in presence of external or internal disturbances.

Now I need to add the long-term heading stabilization, in other words an auto heading capability. The user sets the desired heading and the vehicle should reach and maintain that.

I tried with a standard PID using the compass signal as feedback but it's too slow and noisy for a fast recovery of the bow direction. After some tests I ended up with a trade off: with a weak control loop I have a smooth but inaccurate behavior, with a strong one a more accurate but instable behavior.

I'm sure I could improve the whole thing if I use the rate-gyro in conjunction with the compass. But I don't know how to mix both data.

In summary:

  • the set point is a magnetic direction
  • the inputs of the system are the current magnetic direction and the current rate of turn
  • the output is a value proportional to the rate of turn needed to reach the set point.

May you suggest me a way to follow?

Thanks Marco

Reply to
Marco Trapanese

On a sunny day (Sun, 29 Mar 2009 12:23:16 +0200) it happened Marco Trapanese wrote in :

Is there still money in submarine drug transports ;-)?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

You'll have to do quite a bit of reading of his blog to find out what you need to do.

Steve

Reply to
osr

Google "Kalman filter" to get you started.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

You may or may not need accelerometers, or at least you may need three gyros, to make this work with a Kalman filter.

But it's the classic solution.

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to