US Looks to Block Chinese Grad Students? and Resea rchers? Visas

Long overdue:

On Tuesday (May 26), Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Trump talked about plans to cancel visas for Chinese nationals who are already conducting rese arch in the US and who have ties to universities affiliated with China? ??s military?a policy that would affect some 3,000 students, ac cording to the Times.

Don't believe the hype coming from the university sycophants and parasites about these people making any kind of essential contributions to anything. That's total bullshit.

They need to kick out all the swine associated with military institutions r egardless of national origin.

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Maybe they'll let 3,000 Saudi nationals in to replace them, they're our friends after all.

Reply to
bitrex

Yes. Our "public" colleges in California keep out the residents so they can get full-fare tuition and dorm fees from rich out-of-state and out-of-country parents.

I get a lot of resumes. Most are from foreign students who are coming up on graduation and want a job so they can stay here.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

Yes, higher education can be a racket, we might disagree as to precisely what type of racket it is.

The above is actually more in line with leftist thinking on the topic. Heavens!

Reply to
bitrex

t plans to cancel visas for Chinese nationals who are already conducting re search in the US and who have ties to universities affiliated with China? ??s military?a policy that would affect some 3,000 students, ac cording to the Times.

That's arbitrary and capricious. A visa is a permit to cross the border, and we ought not void that freedom without due process of law. Visas for seve ral purposes are enshrined in our statutes, and this 'policy' does not seem to be in line wi th such law.

The 'affiliated with Chna's military" phrase is especially smarmy and under handed. My old university both had ROTC on campus, and also a military law school o n the grounds. Would that qualify as 'affiliated'? How about accepting military contrac ts? There's lots of DARPA research that we all benefit from (like, the internet protoco ls).

I'm wondering if 'talked about plans' means it's a publicity stunt.

Reply to
whit3rd

e:

out plans to cancel visas for Chinese nationals who are already conducting research in the US and who have ties to universities affiliated with China ?s military?a policy that would affect some 3,000 students, according to the Times.

, and

veral purposes are

with such law.

erhanded.

on the grounds.

acts? There's

cols).

The president has absolute authority over matters of foreign affairs, and s ince it derives from the constitution, his actions cannot be challenged in the courts or anywhere else.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

========================= =========

** Same problem here ( Australia ) - many Universities are acting as de-fa cto immigration agents.

The University of Western Australia has been publicly outed for actively re cruiting unqualified ( no English, fake education docs) students from Asia to fill their worthless courses. Such foreign students pay much higher fees then Australian ones do so Universities have become dependent on them.

The students commonly fail exams by failing to attend and then disappear.

Even the honest ones mostly do as you say and actively compete with Austral ian graduates for the same scarce jobs while on student visas - this of cou rse is illegal.

Tertiary education = massive scam.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

ote:

about plans to cancel visas for Chinese nationals who are already conductin g research in the US and who have ties to universities affiliated with Chin a?s military?a policy that would affect some 3,000 students , according to the Times.

er, and

several purposes are

e with such law.

nderhanded.

ol on the grounds.

tracts? There's

tocols).

since it derives from the constitution, his actions cannot be challenged i n the courts or anywhere else.

That doesn't stop them from being stupid and capricious. Or - as in this ca se - aimed at the racist prejudices of people stupid enough to be likely to vote for Trump in November. It's a classic case of abusing executive autho rity for electoral advantage, and the Republican-dominated Senate is just f ine with that.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

==========

facto immigration agents.

recruiting unqualified ( no English, fake education docs) students from Asi a to fill their worthless courses. Such foreign students pay much higher fe es then Australian ones do so Universities have become dependent on them.

alian graduates for the same scarce jobs while on student visas - this of c ourse is illegal.

Tertiary education isn't any kind of scam, but sucking in fee-paying studen ts who haven't got the English-language competence to get any benefit from it clearly is. "Free enterprise" is mostly about deregulating the market en ough to leave room for shady operators to rip off the gullible.

Australia has made a bundle out selling real tertiary education to people w ho can benefit from it, and fringe operators are wrecking the brand image b y creating a bunch of disappointed customers.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Bill Sloman is NEVER right:

========================= ===

e-facto immigration agents.

y recruiting unqualified ( no English, fake education docs) students from A sia to fill their worthless courses. Such foreign students pay much higher fees then Australian ones do so Universities have become dependent on them.

r.

tralian graduates for the same scarce jobs while on student visas - this of course is illegal.

** Long time since you went anywhere near university - aint it Bill ?.

** Something every Uni in the country is doing - and some ( Sydney for sur e) were even back in 1970s with Colombo plan students.
** So all Unis are now "shady operators" using your criterion.
** You mean Universty staff made a bundle.

How exactly do the foreign students "benefit" ???

What they do next ( or at least try to ) is the second stage of the scam.

** Including Sydney University.

Their "customers" are not too unhappy, they get their dodgy degrees ( all r ules go out the window for them to make sure they pass ) to impress foolish employers in Asia OR else get a de-facto right to live in Australia.

Many of the females look for gullible Aussie men to marry to improve their chances of the latter. Got just such a couple right next door to me.

She is Chinese and about 22 years old, he is Aussie and about 58 years old.

It costs the parents plenty, but there is no other way for the vast majorit y.

Tertiary ed is nothing but scam.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

ents who haven't got the English-language competence to get any benefit fro m it clearly is. "Free enterprise" is mostly about deregulating the market enough to leave room for shady operators to rip off the gullible.

The Chinese grad students I worked with (~30 years ago) were intelligent a nd hard working. They didn't know much of western culture, but they could handle the physics rather well, and (because they all roomed together) they weren't as likely to take a br eak and watch TV in the evenings...

One weakness though: when it came to rent-a-car on trips to the accelerator , the Chinese rarely had the necessary credit card, so couldn't do any driving.

Reply to
whit3rd

===============

** As if an IDIOT like you would know.
** Or care so were dodgy.

FYI:

No sane person alive give a flying f*ck about your barking mad opinions.

Mr anonymous, trolling, poster boy for autism.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

====

ng

de-facto immigration agents.

ely recruiting unqualified ( no English, fake education docs) students from Asia to fill their worthless courses. Such foreign students pay much highe r fees then Australian ones do so Universities have become dependent on the m.

ear.

ustralian graduates for the same scarce jobs while on student visas - this of course is illegal.

No.

ure) were at it even back in 1970s with Colombo plan students.

In the 1960 the ones I was demonstrating chemistry to were ratehr more flue nt in English than their Australian counterparts. The Chinese from China an d the Indians from India were a bit culture-bound, but everybody else did f ine.

Not all of them. Some departments have always been pretty shady, but that's another story.

The people who provide student accommodation, the businesses who use the st udents for cheap labour also do well. University staff don't - they just ge t paid for doing their jobs. There are more of them than there would be if we weren't educating a lot of foreign students. The universities spend mone y on bigger building to accommodate more students.

They mostly get a respectable academic education, and they get it in Englis h which is a remarkably handy second language. Australian academic life is pretty well connected to universities around the world - it's an advanced i ndustrial country - and the students get a slightly less parochial educatio n than they would at home.

.

rules go out the window for them to make sure they pass ) to impress fooli sh employers in Asia OR else get a de-facto right to live in Australia.

r chances of the latter. Got just such a couple right next door to me.

d.

ity.

You don't seem to have got much out of it. I know quite few people who are happier with what they got.

Getting a Ph.D. is chemistry and going on to work as a an electronic engine er, might suggest I didn't got all that much from what my lecturers were bu sy trying to teach me, but this isn't actually true - I got a great deal. I also got to learn how to get the information that they didn't realise that I needed, which is dead easy at a university, and much more difficult when you haven't got one handy to exploit.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

d about plans to cancel visas for Chinese nationals who are already conduct ing research in the US and who have ties to universities affiliated with Ch ina?s military?a policy that would affect some 3,000 studen ts, according to the Times.

rder, and

r several purposes are

ine with such law.

underhanded.

hool on the grounds.

ontracts? There's

rotocols).

nd since it derives from the constitution, his actions cannot be challenged in the courts or anywhere else.

case - aimed at the racist prejudices of people stupid enough to be likely to vote for Trump in November. It's a classic case of abusing executive aut hority for electoral advantage, and the Republican-dominated Senate is just fine with that.

That's an ignorant opinion that ignores the history of espionage by these p eople, and they're getting bolder.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

===========

e-facto immigration agents.

y recruiting unqualified ( no English, fake education docs) students from A sia to fill their worthless courses. Such foreign students pay much higher fees then Australian ones do so Universities have become dependent on them.

r.

tralian graduates for the same scarce jobs while on student visas - this of course is illegal.

ents who haven't got the English-language competence to get any benefit fro m it clearly is. "Free enterprise" is mostly about deregulating the market enough to leave room for shady operators to rip off the gullible.

who can benefit from it, and fringe operators are wrecking the brand image by creating a bunch of disappointed customers.

U.S. government went so far as create a fake university to lure in internat ional students bent on visa fraud. I'm sure they had plenty of good advice about how to go about it from the extant educational system.

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

California's public university policy discriminates against local-born minorities, especially Chinese, in favor of foreign non-citizen ones.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

My girlfriend is getting managed out of the US university system possibly in part because she fails too many students a lot of which are of that type.

Some Chinese students are excellent, and some simply don't do the work. So they get failed. Which tends to very much annoy their wealthy parents.

One of the parents mailed her a big box of Chinese foot-treatments and manicure supplies and their kid didn't show up to class either and got failed with the rest. Still sitting in her spare bedroom. Anyone want a big box of Chinese foot-treatments and manicure supplies?

Reply to
bitrex

She is costing the system money. Can't allow that sort of thing.

Depends. What color is the toenail polish?

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

Well no, leftist thinking gave the schools public money which allowed them to inflate the price.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Can you explain that?

Science teaches us to doubt.