TI-Burr-Brown parts shartage?

Agreed ;-)

And, getting back on-topic, nothing like some good sex to relieve anxiety ;-)

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | America: Land of the Free, Because of the Brave

Perhaps you're right. The next step was a whole day of very tedious temperature chamber testing, measuring time delay of eight different edges to picosecond resolution at a bunch of temperatures - hundreds of data points - plotting the data, calculating the compensation factors, reassembling the code, checking the results, and revising the product specs and manuals accordingly. Now, until manufacturing replaces the chips, I can goof off on the web.

If I had a scut bunny, I could goof off a lot more. I'm looking for one now.

John

Disagree. Ignorance is one path to happiness, but for most engineering types, fundamentally creative and curious people, it's not a real option. Given that one of my goals in life is to design (and sell!) the best electronics I can, selective stupidity isn't an option at all. Quite the contrary, what works is transcendent awareness: appreciating the past and potential history of humanity instead of agonizing over today's news headlines; planning your product lines (and your life) as a longterm strategy and not just one chore after another; looking at the physics, thermodynamics, mechanics, aesthetics, firmware, marketing, and human interface of a product instead of just the circuits. Doing concrete things to make the world better instead of blaming other people and whining about how bad it is. (Simpson! Where's that check?)

Spreading out one's interests and responsibilities is the opposite of selective stupidity, and works better in the long run.

The internet is amazing: it gives you choices more intense than any you had before. You can find and indulge in the news that reinforces your prejudices (and anger), or you can spread out and learn things, and make connections, that were pretty much unavailable before. That choice is a matter of temperament, and that choice *shapes* temperament.

This discussion *is* on topic, because electronic design is an emotional process and bummed out people are rotten electronics designers. You can exercise and train your temperament just as you can exercise and train your body, or your dog.

John

Do pay attention. All your many bits of doom and gloom are fairly specific.

John

I believe that the topic was shortage of TI / Burr-Brown parts. Other than scolding me for sourcing parts which have no second source (not true), you guys gave hijacked this thread and morphed it into a mutual adoration society chat room. Nice work. The conversation is interesting and I have learned few things but not what I really wanted to know.

--

    Boris Mohar
Reply to

It's always good to learn things you didn't want to know. So show a little gratitude.

Were any Burr-Brown related posts crowded out?

And it was Sloman who forked the thread with his usual rote, gloomy Anti-American stuff. Here is the fork:

=============

More likely the economy is doing so well that demand has outstripped supply.

The collapse of the U.S. housing market should solve the problem fairly quickly, but if it affects you directly, you may become part of the solution ....

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

==============

John

Strikes me as entirely on-topic - Stephan Goldstein's input on the

25th March is much more likely to be right, but it struck me as a plausible explanation at the time.

The "collapse" of the low end of the U.S, housing market seems to have been more of a media over-reaction than a real problem. There was a lot of fuss in the media last week, and stock markets around the world went down in consequence, but nobody seems to be worried at the moment. The U.S. ambassador to the Netherlands - not a diplomat but someone who contributed lavishly to Dubbya's election campaign - got into trouble for pumping money into his low-end mortgage business in the U.S. to tide it over the fuss - ambassadors aren't supposed to have business interests while they are acting as ambassadors.

If mentioning the fuss is anti-Amercian, all the world's newspapers must be anti-American - but right-wingers do believe that the press is out to get them ...

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

has

Stephen Goldstein is involved in Burr-Brown parts shortage? I was hoping for a more mundane explanation. Such as bad batch of managers.

--

    Boris Mohar
Reply to

It's trivial.

Just have $100,000,000.00 or so in the bank.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippi

I'm available. All I need is transport up there, a place to live, and enough money to eat, drink, smoke, and play with the girls^H^H^H^H^Hwomen. A bicycle or company car would be nice, but everything's negotiable.

Oh, I'd like to play in the lab on my off-duty time - I have about

5 or 10 inventions that I only need bankrolled.

You can email me at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com, if you elide ard.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

~13% ethanol in water. %-}

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich, but drunk

Sign in tavern/pub: "Liquor up front, poker in the rear!"

Notwithstanding, candy is dandy, but sex won't rot your teeth! ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich, but drunk

The difference between Republicans and Democrats:

Democrats go to bed with the shades open, even though they should be closed.

Republicans go to bed with the shades closed, even though they don't need to.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippi

Some alcoholic, possibly Bill W.:

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, The courage to change the things I can, And the wisdom to know the difference".

This is called "The Serenity Prayer", and is used by alcoholics while attending meetings. The short form is: "Ah, f*ck it!" ;-)

Ironically, the first place I saw that prayer was on a plaque in some honky-tonk, just a few years before I came down with alcoholism. =:-O

AA was a very powerful learning experience, and the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking.

I dropped out when I lost the desire to stop drinking. :-)

Cheers! Rich

For the uninformed:

C! R

Reply to
Rich, but drunk

Now all you need to do is explain why the Republicans and the Christians are the ones having all the babies.

John

Nope. All it takes is income to exceed expenses ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Above abject poverty, there is practically no correlation between wealth and happiness.

John

So the "universal" is in your perception, rather than in my output.

Someone in California did set up a newspaper that only published good news, but it didn't last long - nobody bothered to subscribe.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Ignorance? Birth control technology isn't all that complicated, but you do have to understand what is going on.

Christian schools don't like teaching children about sex - on the assumption that if they don't tell kids about sex, they may never discover it on their own.

Republicans traditionally search for the advice that that they like, rejecting advice which they find unpalatable, even if it happens to be right.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

than

society

few

has

Stephen Goldstein's explanation did involve incompetent management - something about shutting down one plant before its replacement could actually manufacture the parts with a decent yield.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman