Tax cuts for rich don't trickle down

Tax cuts for rich don't trickle down By: Lew Prince December 3, 2010 09:45 AM EST

I?ve run a small business for more than 30 years, and the claim that more tax cuts for the rich can generate jobs at small businesses is ridiculous. Expecting high-end tax cuts to trickle down as job creation is about as reasonable as pouring gasoline on your hood and expecting it to run your engine.

My company?s success or failure is tied to the economic health of our 24 employees, our customers, our community, our state and our country. The quick-buck artists who have increasingly dominated our financial system since the 1970s don?t care about the long-term growth of companies they temporarily ?invest? in or the well-being of the people who work at them. Now they?re trying to sell us more tax cuts for the rich ? cloaked in concern over small-business owners and jobs.

When tax cut lobbyists tell you that small-business owners will use the money saved from lower tax rates to hire someone, they?ve got it backward. Either they?ve never run a small business, or they?re trying to mislead you.

My tax rate doesn?t affect hiring. If I think I can do more business, I hire more workers. The costs of finding, hiring and paying new employees are business expenses. They?re deducted upfront from our taxable income.

Ultimately, those new employees are going to earn my company more in profit than it costs to find, train and pay them. That?s how capitalism works.

So if Congress wants to help my company ? and other small businesses ? create jobs, it should support tax and economic policies that boost broad-based consumer income and spending.

?Experience shows that lower tax rates for high incomes don?t generate better job creation,? says a new report by Business for Shared Prosperity. ?As The Wall Street Journal reported, President Bush ?shows the worst track record for job creation since the government began keeping records? in 1939. The Bush administration created just 1.1 million jobs net, while the Clinton administration created 22.7 million.?

We can?t afford to extend the Bush tax cuts for the 2 percent of Americans with yearly income above $250,000 for couples or $200,000 for individuals. And contrary to myth, the average small-business owner makes a lot less.

Actually, fewer than 3 percent of taxpayers with any business income at all make more than this ? and many in that 3 percent are not small-business owners. They include Wall Street investment partners, chief executive officers getting paid to sit on the boards of other big companies and partners in wealthy real estate or law firms.

Giving a tax cut windfall to the guys who made billions trashing our economy and ripping off ordinary investors and pension funds by selling worthless mortgages and derivatives is wrong. They were bailed out and didn?t even have the decency to thank us. Instead, they turned right around and poured their profits into obscene paychecks, more speculation and lobbying. And they?re likely to do the same with their tax cut money. Is that good for our economy?

When I look around, I don?t see small-business development programs, road and bridge repairs, public transit projects, libraries, schools, job training, water treatment or health and safety inspections that could be cut so wealthier people can pay less taxes. Do you?

This budget-busting tax giveaway to the rich is expected to add $700 billion to the federal budget deficit in the next decade. That?s money we need to invest in infrastructure, education, renewable energy and economic development.

It?ll put people back to work today and lay a strong foundation for Main Street businesses and middle-class jobs in the future.

Those jobs are likely to mean more people walking into my store ? and into the neighborhood restaurant, realtor, grocery, auto dealer and all the businesses that make up our Main Street economy.

Congress and President Barack Obama should extend the middle-class tax cuts. But additional tax cuts for high-income households would be irresponsible.

Lew Prince is managing partner of Vintage Vinyl, an independent music store in St. Louis. He is a member of Business for Shared Prosperity

hamilton

Who the hell is "Hamilton"? And who is paying him/her to post this crap?

John

Hell if I know. Anyway, business require demand, not tax cuts for the rich. The reduced tax rates have been around a decade and haven't worked any magic.

Put it this way: I have a brilliant idea for a start up, but I won't start the company if the tax rate is 39% instead of 32%. The GOP is a logic free zone.

Reply to
miso

Demand for Chinese products and Mexican drugs can't produce prosperity. We don't need demand, we need productivity and jobs. Given them, demand will take care of itself. Consumer demand is a possible consequance of prosperity, not a cause of it. We could all slash one anothers tires (or our own even) and increase demand, but we wouldn't be better off.

The economic system is so noisy, it's almost impossible to say what caused what.

As long as employees are so expensive, we won't hire them, so we'll buy more and more stuff from China, until they get tired of loaning us the money to pay for it. That might happen pretty soon.

Averaged over 300 million people and millions of enterprises, any change in tax rates will produce changes in investment and hiring, and in business survival. You can't predict much about one molecule, but the universal gas law is precise.

John

on

it

24

he

em

ey

he

ees

me.

sm

on.

or

at

ig

ng

ion

ain

ll

What we need a fiscal policy that focuses on the actual well-being of the nation, not simply one that focuses on taxpayer-backed piggy bank schemes for reckless investment in derivative financing - or have we forgotten that already?

Reply to
mpm

On Dec 3, 1:15=A0pm, John Larkin

But, what about the farmers who overproduce, and then have to be paid to stop producing? Too much productivity drives prices into the ground and everybody goes broke except the few big guys who win the game. Demand isn't much when an ear of corn goes for 2 cents, unless it's organically grown with no pesticides.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Bowden

Simple: don't pay them. Let them work it out.

Too much productivity drives prices into the ground

We want low prices. And high wages. So that people can afford stuff.

Productivity makes wealth and jobs. There is no other source of wealth, unless you can steal it from some other country.

John

Probably just another "Soak the Rich" tax and spend liberal weenie. Maybe he's working for Queen Nancy:

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise