Bill Sloman's Idol

A "philanthropist" (according to CNN and the BBC) speaks:

"I am basically here to make money. I cannot and do not look at the social consequences of what I do."

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

It's Cursitor Doom who goes in for idolatry - it's not my thing at all.

George Soros is a bit more thoughtful than the average money trader - mch more thoughtful (and much more successful) than my nephew who is in the same business (but obviously on a much smaller scale), and he has even written a couple of books.

I've even bought and read one of them, but wasn't wildly impressed - it was all sensible, but not exactly revelatory.

There are right-wing conspiracy theories about George Soros

but they are silly enough that only twits like Cursitor Doom could take them seriously.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Oh, I read that as "Bill Sloman's idle."

 Click to see the full signature

And s.e.c. is the devil's workshop?

Reply to
bulegoge

From a certain perspective it's why my ancestors came to New England hundreds of years ago, too, to be quite honest.

Why else would they come, the fantastic weather? Don't say "religious persecution" England in the 17th and 18th centuries was one of the most tolerant places in the world.

Reply to
bitrex

An understandable mistake. Either interpretation is equally valid.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Well, with the apostrophe it can be taken as a possessive but I am not sure that is totally correct. (have to ask Ma) But as a statement it is incorrect.

If you take it as a contraction of "Sloman is" that would mean he is idle. That would explain a few things...

I've seen plenty worse in this group of supposedly highly educated individuals, but then Einstein wore two different color socks they say...

Reply to
jurb6006

And he is vain enough that he thinks we need to know that.

I prefer to phrase it as "Bill Sloman is underemployed".

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Or equally invalid. In fact, since I am under-employed which is why I have time to waste on pointing up John Larkin's character defects and Cursitor D oom's factual errors, the claim that I am idle has more validity - though n ot much more - than the claim that I have any idols (which I don't).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Get a job you bum.

Reply to
jurb6006

Or "Employment deprived" ;_)

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

Perhaps there is a government program for him.

Reply to
jurb6006

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

I apply for one every week or so, but the interest in hiring 76-year-olds is vanishingly small. I have to settle for editing the NSW IEEE three-per-year newsletters, which isn't all that time-consuming.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Offer me some work, and find out how employment averse (note the spelling) I actually am.

Jim Thompson isn't around any more to persuade you that it would be a bad idea.

Phil Hobbs might be willing to take over doing your thinking for you there.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I did that once a long time ago. The clipping tracked the amplitude. That gave a lot of what the sound people called "sustain." It was marketed as "Bell Tone" because it made a guitar sound kind of bell-y.

Dang, I've done a lot of weird stuff.

 Click to see the full signature

The big public stock-exchange companies hardly paid taxes. They have armies of tax lawyers and accountants and stash gigabucks of untaxed earnings offshore. And stash jobs offshore. Those guys are in your portfolio.

The huge impact of the tax cut is on small businesses that do pay all their taxes and create jobs in the USA and deposit their earnings in a neighborhood bank branch.

Lots of other changes could create more jobs here; the federal tax cut is just a small example of what's possible.

Of course, this kind of thinking only appeals to people who work.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Direct tax-cut stimulated job creation is very old-school supply-side philosophy not even most Conservative economists espouse anymore. How many small businesses (15 people or fewer) had their taxes cut enough such that they could afford to pay a full-tine salary to even a single new hire?

In any case it would be retarded to hire on anyone new tax cut or no unless product demand required it - was demand for scientific electronic widgets of the fashion you do way way up the moment these cuts were passed?

Tax cuts to small businesses tend to go mostly into management/owner's bank account to be spent on investments, real estate, luxury homes n condos, sports cars and vacations to Hawaii and stuff.

"Manufacturing" and "wholesale trade" have seen modest gains since November 2016 but two of the biggest gainers outside mining/logging (which doesn't employ that many people to begin with) are construction/leisure hospitality. Grunt work.

The construction industry is not constructing much new warehouses or shipping terminals or factories or railroads either it's constructing high-end residential properties/condoes/real estate speculation-type stuff.

Reply to
bitrex

The number of Americans who don't wish to work is vanishingly small.

"The parasites at the top who support the parasites at the bottom"-type rhetoric is as common among righty-wingnuts as it is brain-damaged.

I suspect it may be related to inhaling large quantities of leaded gasoline fumes prior to the lousy greens/state of California suggesting it might not be good for you.

Reply to
bitrex

losophy not even most Conservative economists espouse anymore."

That's because it has never been properly applied in the US. If you want so cial engineering on billionaires the same tools that work on the proletaria t are ineffective.

I have long advocated a tax code by which imported gods are taxed twice unl ess a good faith effort is made to find a domestic supplier. It is not real ly different than a tariff BUT, if they had started that 20 years ago we wo uld not have the problems we have now.

Anyone who wants to criticise Trump's methods, come up with a better plan. Go ahead, you think you're smart enough (all) to judge his actions then how about some constructive criticism ? That which offers a better course of a ction. I was taught to always make criticism positive and helpful rather th an just being a bitch. I do NOT always succeed, and at times it is not poss ible.

Oh, and listening to "experts" ? Experts are what got us to the brink of th ird world status.

Figure out a better way to fix that. I am all ears. Put up or shut up.

Reply to
jurb6006