Re: BBC Puzzle

>> On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 23:26:56 GMT, Joerg

UK

quarters

similar

And they have more creative definitions of "unemployed."

>There is some magic number of jobs that needs to be created each month >just due to the growth of the country. So when the number of jobs >declines, it is actually much worse than it sounds. > >Funny how the H1B parade seems to go on uninterrupted as the economy >sinks further in the GOP-created mire. It was less than two weeks ago >that Bush was saying "tax cuts work."

Income tax cuts do work, in the sense that income taxation destroys jobs, and cutting taxes, especially cutting corporate taxes, reduces the rate at which industries are exported. Not everybody can work for the government, you know.

John

the UK

quarters

similar

When you incur debt, it has to be serviced. Money used to service the debt can't be spent on other services. This is not rocket science.

Reply to
miso

in

the UK

quarters

similar

Governments service debt by printing money. Ordinary people can't do that.

But you seem to be asuming that higher tax rates produce more tax revenue. Past some rate, they don't. The USA is mostly past the peak-revenue rate. For a lot of businesses and individuals, tax avoidance is more valuable than actually producing stuff and earning money and creating jobs.

And even the peak-revenue rate is only good for the government class; it's bad for the population as a whole.

And most government "services" do more harm than good. This is not rocket science.

John

wrote in

5.5%

in the UK

quarters

similar

it?

4.8%.

Oh, I think a little government watchdogging would have prevented this subprime fiasco.

Sadly, the government borrows money for the most part. Perhaps you heard of the national debt. This isn't rocket science.

Reply to
miso

wrote in

5.5%

in the UK

quarters

is similar

it?

lack

dole

4.8%.

The fiasco was seeded when the Clinton admin removed most of the barriers between morgage lending and wholesale market speculation. After that, it became profitable for morgage companies to bundle huge packages of mortgage debt and sell it on the market, where others made bundles and derivatives and all sorts of fun stuff from them. Since the first-line mortgage companies didn't hold the debt, but resold it, their incentive was to churn as many loans as possible, and the hell with quality.

The next periodic real-estate bubble came along, as they are wont to do, and this whole house of cards was ready to play.

There is a number that's called "the national debt" but by world standards, US public debt is moderate.

USA 62% of GDP Germany 65 France 71 Italy 121 Japan 157

But the USA has far better deomgraphics to be able to handle public debt. The other four countries above are facing declining, aging populations and a degrading technology base.

John

[snip]

John, Why did you change the subject line to "taly"? That _does_not_ change the "References:" flag ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Must have been some typing thing. I never learned to type. I wouldn't change a subject line on purpose.

John

Start using your spell-checker as well ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Why bother? It's just a newsgroup.

John