voltage

sitting

copper

and

switcher

fields fall

to the

That's

Did you see my vacuum tweezer thread? I *love* that thing.

Roger melfs are stupid, but some good diodes come that way.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

"Ethical" maybe not the right word, but to put it another way, why do something for free when I can be paid for it?

Point in case, I don't see... well, yours, John's, or almost anyone's designs, floating around for free. Bits and pieces? Sure. Inspiration? It happens. But the whole thing? Must be some reason for that :)

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

Hey, I'm not going to pay you!

But I'll be careful not to help you in the future.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Actually, "unethical" isn't a terrible word for it. In a certain sense. My default (unstated) online mindset is something along the lines of GPL or Creative Commons Non-Commercial. It would be rather silly to offer advice to someone, under such an (intended) license, who would only use it for purposes obviously counter to the nature of that license.

Not that I've ever stated a license in my posts, or that an internet user must agree to that license in order to read my post, or that licenses really mean anything on the grand stage of the Internet (aren't all our posts legally property of Google now or something?). This just explains the intent behind the statement.

Make sense..?

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com
Reply to
Tim Williams

voltage

s sitting

he

g copper

run, and

switcher

fields fall

ose to the

. That's

those

One day John Larkin is going to learn that you can buy 0.1% surface mount resistors. Of course he probably can't see the point of paying extra for more precise resistors.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Not everybody feels that way. See e.g.

A life that isn't characterized by gratitude and generosity isn't much of a life, IMO.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

voltage

sitting

copper

run, and

switcher

fields fall

to the

That's

One day you'll make a post that makes sense. This isn't it.

Reply to
krw

One day even Sloman will realize that .05 & .01% surface resistors are easy to buy. I have some reels of them in my personal inventory.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

voltage

sitting

copper

run, and

switcher

fields fall

to the

That's

those

I've mentioned the Susumu thinfilms here more than once. We have a huge "tower" sample kit that the local Susumu rep dropped off, must be a couple thousand resistors. We buy parts down to 0.05% and we are measuring TCs in the 5 PPM range.

Sloman is grotesque.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

It's an interesting book. The author was a liberal when he started, and was a liberal when he was done, but had the startling (in our day) intellectual honesty to report what he actually found, even though he didn't like it much.

Full marks.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

for

ation?

Eliminating a synchronous switcher's catch diode is a "whole thing?"

If you turn the upper FET off, something has to catch the inductor flyback until the bottom FET kicks on. That's generally a schottky somewhere, either in the FET, or outside.

--
Cheers,
James Arthur

I spec 0.01% for logic pullups. Only the best...

Cheers, James

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

...Jim Thompson

One day, Mike Terrell might realise that I've known that even Farnell stock - some - 0.05% and 0.01% surface resistors, and have done for some years. Of course he'd have to trawl through earlier posts to find this out, which is probably beyond his failing powers.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Bill, You're probably capable of being a being a nice guy... just knock off the snarky.

Besides, WTF needs 0.1% resistors except in a few applications? ...Jim Thompson

One day you'll realise that some posts that don't make sense to you may make sense to people who can perceive that you don't express yourself quite as unambiguously as you might.

So you don't "use *all* 1% surface-mount stuff now" despite what you appeared to claim in the post I was sending up. I'm totally amazed to learn this ...

Actually, the word you were fumbling for is "satirical" which can involve the ironic posting of grotesque and implausible propositions to make a comic point. It's not the first time you've failed to recognise joke, and probably won't be the last.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

In the same way that John uses "all 1% surface-mount stuff"?

Even 1% is a bit of an over-kill for pull-ups, but 1% parts are cheap enoug h that it isn't worth complicating life by specifying anything cheaper.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

DIfferential high-side (current) sensing. Need the CMRR.

Reply to
krw

that it isn't worth complicating life by specifying anything cheaper.

If you build as many oscillators as you do, sure, the difference isn't significant.

Reply to
krw