Semi OT: Detroit leads the way in EV technology

IIRC my vehicle insurance gives me cover when I'm driving other vehicles. Perhaps you can insure the cheaper vehicles for fire and theft only (assuming they're not covered for that by other insurance already), and use your primary policy to cover you as driver?

Jasen Betts

It doesn't work that way. True, your auto insurance usually covers you in whatever you're driving (limitations apply) but if you own it, you have to have coverage on it. Even if you can only drive one at a time, if two are on the road, you get to pay for both.

Reply to
krw

I'm not sure what your insurance covers, but in most states you are required to insure the car, not the driver. I've never heard of an insurance policy covering you for driving someone else's car. They do typically cover rental though, so maybe that would work. But you have to have insurance on the car itself.

Your household policy most likely has specific exclusions for cars, boats and the like. They are expected to be covered separately.

--

Rick C
Reply to

It's unusual that your insurance wouldn't cover you for driving someone else's car. However, that insurance would be subordinate to the owner's insurance. Your liability coverage will step up if the owner's doesn't (completely) cover an accident.

Reply to
krw

ce

I have a motorcycle as a second vehicle. It gets 75 MPG and the insurance on it is very inexpensive. But with those costs and registration costs et c, it can never pay for itself. Even if it got 1000 MPG. I continue to ha ve it only because it is so much fun to drive, I am willing to pay the EXTR A expense.

Reply to
makolber

That's certainly a good reason to have it. I have a lot of quite expensive tools, that I don't "need", because I like using them and can easily afford them.

Reply to
krw

I usually don't even use wall socket electricity. The majority of my juice comes from communist 'public' chargers near my girlfriend's house and near my workplace..giving me nearly a dollar's worth of "free" charge every time I use them. Oh, wait, except the businesses (the vast majority of them are installed by businesses/shopping plazas) thought it would be good for...their business.

I'm such an anti-America son of a bitch, what with driving an American designed and built car, built by American employees, charged from chargers installed by American-owned businesses, with energy sourced from American utility companies, sent over American designed power lines built by American workers, overwhelmingly fueled by natural gas a nuclear power from American natural resources.

Also the 150 HP electric motor they use in the Volt is a rocket - it will smoke nearly any sports car under 100 grand off the line (except maybe another Volt or Tesla.) Hopefully it will go down in history as the electric version of the GM small block V8.

Reply to
bitrex

Well, you can pay a month in advance, or six months in advance. It's cheaper if you pay for six months at a time.

Reply to
bitrex

I really would like to see the documents that Bush 2 locked in the basement re: Saudi involvement in the funding/planning of 9/11. That would at least clarify to my mind that continuing to purchase Saudi oil after 9/11 was indeed "aiding and abetting the enemy."

What Obama does or does not do with this information, I cannot help. I didn't vote for him, after all.

Reply to
bitrex

Good Lord, you're stupid. Obama has been doing everything he can to keep us from being energy independent.

Reply to
krw