Detroit

Sad, beautiful houses:

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom laser drivers and controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME thermocouple, LVDT, synchro acquisition and simulation

Clearly an opinion absent any formal education in American architecture, al l you're seeing is a bunch of garish boom town junk. Check out the mansions north of the city in places like Birmingham or along the lake in that Gros se Pointe area if you want to see better stuff from approximately the same era but still viable.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

All that "formal education in American architecture" does is give us hideous glass boxes and an inability to vocalize the word "ugly".

Surely you recognize that one.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

I read average price runs about 13-something (either $13k or $13/sq. ft.), but the property taxes will kill you.

Cheers, James

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

That is called contemporary. A more representative collection of modern popular options would be like so:

You can't call them ugly.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Not the property taxes, the "neighbors." We are talking Detroit here, are we not?

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Den fredag den 20. december 2013 02.33.40 UTC+1 skrev John Larkin:

only three things that matter in real estate: location, location, location

;)

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

LOL.

The abandoned industrial buildings in Western NY would make a good photo essay. I forget what road it was we took, but there were quite a few of them.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

That's usually true.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Good point!

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

And the Erie Canal. I was up there almost a year ago... and it was frozen over :-( ...Jim Thompson

OK, you don't recognize that one. You are obviously "absent any formal education in American architecture."

I can and do. It's ugly.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Niagara Falls? (There's some places that are a bit scary.. still what look like slag piles at the old union carbide plant..)

I find the grain elevators on the water front in Buffalo to have a certain beauty. (Hmm my google link was only three pages long... but search yourself for "grain elevators buffalo".)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Sad, yes.

Beautiful?

The squalor of your upbringing is showing through.

Reply to
John Fields

I wouldn't call any of those plans, "modern". They're more like Californica ticky-tack. ...Jim Thompson

I never lived in squalor. Look at google street view, 318 Broadway in New Orleans, house where I grew up. A few blocks from the Mississippi River and Audubon Park and four universities. My parents were both solid, employed, moral Protestants, and my dad was a Deacon of our church. I went to Ben Franklin High School, one of the first public "magnet" schools in the USA, still one of the best high schools in the country.

My bedroom was in the back, and the huge front room upstairs, facing onto the upstairs porch full width, was my electronics lab. There are condos in SF that are half of the size of that lab. (Heck, my office here is way bigger than some condos.)

Of course New Orleans is The Big Easy, a remarkably democratic place that equally reveres high culture, faded glory, and quality sleaze.

Where did you grow up? Show us.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

"... serves as a visitation starting point to this important utopian settlement. River and vehicular visitors' paths converge to set up a universal experience of the pocelin box of grids placed upon an earthen plinth in protection from yearly floods. The building is an object, apart from the historic town in distance and character, whose spatial experiences explore the relationship between architecture and society as the town it reveals once attempted."

I'm pretty sure they made up "pocelin". I don't see it in the compressed OED, and online it looks like mispelling of "porcelain". People couldn't google stuff in 1980.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Well at least it gave thieves a chance to steal copper pipe and wire for recycling! Mikek

Reply to
amdx

--
Panama Canal Zone; no street view available.

Here's a taste:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mID2s804t7s
Reply to
John Fields

Please; you're putting me right off my carnitas taco.