Semi OT: Detroit leads the way in EV technology

That's a fantastic selling point in itself, and while I believe Toyota is trying to make another plug in Prius, it's 15 mile battery range is hardly worth it.

Additionally, the Volt is just a roomier, better riding/handling, and more comfortable and refined car than the Prius. The engineers apparently put a lot of effort into the "driving experience" aspect. If one drives them side-by-side the difference is totally apparent, IMO.

I always know I'm in for a fun trip when I get in the Volt. I can't say I'd say the same about getting in a Prius. GM's strong point at the moment is making hybrids that Americans would actually enjoy driving.

GM does currently have one pure electric offering, the Spark EV. They're only available in limited markets, however. They essentially just took the drivetrain from the Volt and crammed it into that subcompact, added a ~100 mile battery and a 15 minute charging option, and there ya go.

Though it's sort of a hack, it's actually not half bad! Around

400-something foot/lbs of torque off the line, same as a Ferrari 458. A cute "sleeper" that you can lease for a song, in the states where it's available.
Reply to
bitrex

Fully charging up a 200 mile vehicle off a 220 ~40 amp "Level 2" charger isn't too bad...around 8 hours. You can get those installed in your garage for very little; if you're feeling adventurous you could even DIY it. 200 miles for me is the better part of a weeks worth of driving.

Most EVs going down the line will also have the "DC Supercharging" port that lets you charge up to full range in about 15 minutes. Every Starbucks could have a couple installed. Charge $5 or something for a full charge...undercut whatever gas is selling for, for equivalent range in an average ICE sedan by 50% or something. Buy your electricity at an industrial rate and the amortization cost wouldn't be long at all; if there's enough demand you could actually be turning a profit pretty quick.

Reply to
bitrex

What one learns from actually owning an EV for a year is that the majority of the objections people who aren't experienced with them have to ownership are essentially non-issues.

Do you have a parking spot with a plug nearby? Do you often sleep, at least from time to time? Then the "charging convenience" thing is pretty much a non-issue. It hasn't been at all a hassle, any more than dealing with the fueling process of any other car.

I think part of the issue might just be psychological. At the moment EVs are not like ICE cars, where you could just head out your front door and drive cross-country refilling in 5 minutes every 300 miles. You don't have quite that sense of "freedom." You do have to plan your trips a little more carefully, but honestly 99% of the time nobody is using their ICE car in that fashion.

If you can live with that limitation, then you'll be fine. You get the car. You drive it, it's fun, it accelerates like a bat out of hell, you save a good chunk of money and aren't smogging up the atmosphere. That's about all there is to it.

I know the future can be a little scary, but I assure you it's going to be OK. : ) Come with me...

Reply to
bitrex

Yeah, I think I was off on the numbers there. My lifetime MPG counter is reporting around 70 mpg combined. A full charge off a wall socket costs about 80 cents at my overnight rate.

I just checked my trip counter. Last week I drove 356 miles on 2.6 gallons of gas, plus electricity. I fully charged at home twice.

Reply to
bitrex

Oh, right. I meant $15 in gas and $8 in electricity...monthly. ; )

Reply to
bitrex

250 miles a week, that is, 1000 miles a month. Sorry, not completely with it this afternoon.
Reply to
bitrex

Made a mistake there. I drive ~250 miles a week. $15 in gas and $8 in juice is more like my _monthly_ fuel cost.

Anyway, a picture is probably more clear. Here's my trip counter for the week so far:

I added about 20 miles from a public charger in Boston last night - no fee. I haven't purchased any electricity so far this week, and probably won't, since I'm visiting the Museum of Science tomorrow with some relatives and there's a public charger in the Cambridgeside Galleria, and there's also one a mile down the street from my girlfriend's place.

Reply to
bitrex

I certainly disagree with that observation.

Batteries have, by weight, a small fraction of the energy density of gasoline. Power plants, distribution, chargers, and batteries themselves all have losses.

Not as ugly as a Tesla. Thet Chevy looks like a generic Toyota.

Red is better than grey.

It's towing all those batteries and motors. My car is mostly engine!

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I've got to admit that free, govenrment-subsidized energy is cheaper than paid-for energy.

I still pay a lot more for insurance than for gasoline.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

and that is the key,

if the govt wants us to accept electric cars for commuting, the fees for insurance should be changed so that if I buy a second vehicle for commuting, I don't have to pay double for insurance.

makolber

The insurance for my leased 2016 Volt is dirt cheap! All the comprehensive stuff required for leased vehicle, $300 damage deductible across the board. Plus a $20k personal injury rider.

About $280 for six months, prepaid through Geico.

The first thing insurers look at is your credit score, anyway.

Reply to
bitrex

And should be the legit rate for the life of the lease, so long as I prepay (and nothing unfortunate happens.) Not some introductory thing.

Reply to
bitrex

Thankfully, the petroleum industry has never accepted a dime of government subsidization.

It's a luxury hot-hatch, whaddya expect.

Apparently Audi is making a plug-in version of the A3. Like all the German offerings, it's probably junk for 50k or whatever they're asking.

Reply to
bitrex

Don't the oil companies pay corporate income tax? And the Feds and the states tax gasoline multiple ways.

They wrecked the A3 anyhow. It's now a boring sedan, no longer a hatchback, and it comes with a tiny turbo. My 3.2 V6 is no more.

The Q3 looks kind of cool.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Electric motors are way better than ICE's.. in all ways I can think of. Batteries suck compared to a tank of gas. There's some point where things will be kinda equal. (I burn oil to heat the house in the winter and drive cars year round...)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Den onsdag den 17. august 2016 kl. 01.51.20 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:

afaict the sedan is called "limousine" the hatchback "sportsback"

the RS3 sportsback has permanent 4-wheel drive and a 2.5L 5 cylinder turbo engine with 367hp

I don't think you can call that boring

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Unless you want to drive very far. Or drive in the boonies where there are no charging stations.

How long do Tesla batteries last? What does a replacement set cost?

I see numbers like $40K and 100K miles. That's 40 cents per mile!

Oil is a terrible way to heat a house. So is electricity.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

So, you'd be dependent on a charge station half way to Truckee, near a restaurant for a nice lunch. No big deal.

As for battery operation in cold, ALL batteries have problems in cold, the folk in Minnesota can tell you how to solve that.

As for GM, they may have clout, but they have management... issues. One oughtn't wait for their 'maybe someday' solution to this (or any) pressing need.

Reply to
whit3rd

I haven't seen anything that high but gas, even for my pickup, is about 1/4 of that. That doesn't include the cost of the electricity it sucks during its life, either.

Heat pumps work reasonably well, though are kinda weak at really low temperatures.

Reply to
krw

An eight hour lunch?

That's a lot of cost for areas that currently have no need for heater outlets everywhere.

What do you want from Government Motors? Sanity?

Reply to
krw