Semi OT: Detroit leads the way in EV technology

Yeah, about 5 years ago the oil burner failed and I looked into heat pumps sunk into the local ground water... but it needs forced air.. which I don't have.. or really want. I've got some nice south facing windows.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Not if your EV has the 15 minute charging option! Which they all will, in a couple years.

Well, GM is actually making a profit. ~$230 a share is certainly a high price to pay for a company that as far as I know has never earned a net dime in 13 years of existence. Remember when businesses had to have a product? They're like the bartender who keeps apologizing for their slowness by saying "I'm new here!" but have been working every weekend for six months.

And after all the government subsidies Musk has taken advantage of, Tesla is certainly just as much "Government Motors" as GM, if that's the way you wanna spin it.

bitrex

We can just take a taxi from the charging station to the nice restaurant.

lunatic fringe electronics

For my part, I do my best to spend as little time as possible commuting all over creation in a car. The American landscape is a relic of a time when gas was continually declining in inflation-adjusted cost year over year for a half century.

Sprawling suburban areas a quarter the size of England like Toronto shouldn't even exist, and in many areas of the Northeast attempting to mortgage a big house in the 'burbs to keep up with the Joneses, instead of a modest apartment closer to the city center is a sure way to fleece your bank account.

I don't particularly want my earnings tied up in the equity of some suburban dinosaur home that nobody will ever pay more for than what I paid for it. I'd prefer cold liquid assets. I'll drive my little electric car, and if the only good restaurant I know is up in the mountains ~200 miles away, I guess I'll have to figure something else out.

Reply to
bitrex

Cf Amazon?

In the hi-tech sector and maybe elsewhere, to a large extent share price is based on what the cocaine heads think will happen in the /future/.

All the cocaine heads care about is whether they will be able to sell the shares later for more or less, where "later" varies from milliseconds to years.

Whether that is "right" or "justifiable" is irrelevant.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Some people don't want to live in a tiny apartment in a city. Some can't afford it. Cities certainly don't have room to pack in the entire population of their burbs.

Some fun numbers:

1 gallon of gasoline packs about 33 KWH. My tank holds 14 gallons, which weighs 84 lbs and is theoretically about 460 KWH. That would get me and three passengers about 350 miles in six hours if I drove sanely on a flat highway (neither of which I do) at a cost of around $35, about $9 per person. The gas cost per mile for the vehicle is about 10 cents.

A Tesla S battery stores about 75 KWH and weighs 1200 pounds. Replacement cost is vague, but is either $12K or $44K, depending on where you look. If it lasts 100K miles, the battery replacement cost per mile is 12 to 44 cents, plus labor and sales tax and maybe a disposal fee for the old one. The electricity to run the car costs a bit more, higher if you use heat or a/c or drive like me.

A small gas station with 8 pumps might service 50 or so cars per hour. If it was an electric recharge station, and serviced 50 cars per hour, and everyone left their car for an hour for lunch, it would need 50 stalls, and would be maybe a 10 story parking structure. At 75 KWH per car, the power feed would be about 5 megawatts.

A gas pump nozzle, at say 8 GPM (the US legal limit is 10) is equivalent to about 250 kilowatts.

A tanker truck can drive anywhere in the country that cars can access, and delver around 9000 gallons, about 300 MWH equivalent. I can't estimate what it would cost to run a few megawatts of electric service to a rural recharge station. The charging station probably wouldn't store energy, so has to be sized for peak load; a tank in the ground does store energy. Electric cars are impractical to many people if they can't recharge in remote locations.

In dense cities, one thing people are doing is living in 250 sq ft apartments and walking or hailing an Uber as needed. Some people don't want to do that.

lunatic fringe electronics

Den onsdag den 17. august 2016 kl. 17.45.44 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:

with combustion engine efficiencies ~30% and an electrics ~90%

the electric KWHs will do nearly 3x the work of gasoline of the KWHs

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

And that can slew in either direction.

We did a fun real estate tour yesterday, looking for a new place. One space is about 25,000 square feet of gorgeous refurbed old building, all beautiful refinished wood and glass. It's occupied now by a drone company. Half is totally empty and a chunk of the other half is a drone testing cage with floor mats... might be fun to play or sleep in. There are maybe 40 people, mostly coding, and maybe a hundred drones in various states of assembly. One Rigol scope has its LCD smashed in, maybe from a drone crash?

I could post pics but it might be indiscreet.

This company took several tens of millions of dollars in prepayment for drones and hasn't shipped any so far... sort of like Tesla's model

  1. The entire space will shortly be available for lease. A few hundred thousand square feet of Twitter's space nearby is also available now for sublet.

The angels and VCs and crowdfunders and pre-payers will eventually get tired of dumping money to support the lifestyles of innovators and entepreneurs, all making the same drones or 3D printers or fitbit-type things. It's going to be ugly, and sooner is better.

lunatic fringe electronics

The electricity has to be generated, distributed, run through a charger, go into and out of a battery, and run a controller and a motor. Every step in that process has losses.

But just the battery replacement cost exceeds the cost of gasoline, maybe by several times over. Without subsidies, electric cars would be even more expensive than they are now.

lunatic fringe electronics

Den onsdag den 17. august 2016 kl. 18.18.05 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:

with the number for a tesla and the local coal fired power plant, it comes out to ~30% efficiency from chemical energy to the wheels

So roughly the same as a car running on gasoline, but with the added benefit that the the power plant has much better filters, no exhaust in the city, a large part of the loses at the power plant goes to district heating, and some of the electricity is supplied with wind power

everything without subsidies would be more expensive ;)

gasoline is only a small part of what is cost to own car, some would like to think that the cost of the battery would be offset by less maintenance. We'll see if that turns out to be true.

The is a huge number of cars with various engine type to chose from none of them a perfect fit for every single use, electric is no different. It is perfect for somethings, not so perfect for other things

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

That should be true. An electric is potentially much simpler and more reliable than a gas engine. I'd like to see an electric with a motor per wheel, but most seem to still have one big motor and a gearbox and a differential.

Mercedes has a motor-per-wheel, 740 HP car. Save the Earth!

I can't see why anyone would want a hybrid or electric car, without feel-good greenie sentiment or subsidies or HOV lane priviliges.

I see Teslas accelerating like rockets and then braking like mad at the next stop sign. That looks like fun, but it's not very green. Teslas were designed for insane acceleration!

Gasoline powered cars (NOT diesels!) are pretty clean these days, probably cleaner than coal plants.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

8 gallons / minute = 480 gallons per hour 125000 BTU per gallon and 1 Watt = 3.412 BTU/Hour

I get about 17 MEGA WATTS !!!!!!! flow through an ordinary gas station hose.

makolber

The energy per gallon looks to be about 33 KWH.

33 KWH in 1/8 of a minute is 15.8 megawatts. Even better! Imagine an electric cable and connector running at 16 megawatts.

I guess I mixed minutes and hours.

Tanking up my car can still be tedious. Imagine an electric, hundreds of times slower.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

yep, oil and gasoline are close to magic.

Reply to
makolber

EV

ts

or,

,

ou

's

5

Fair amount of oil/gas come from our local oil patch around GOM. So, suppo rt your local rig swinger as well. We, engineers, just can't justify spend ing 10K to 20K more to save a few K at most. Unless you drive long distanc e everyday, the money saving is not justified.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

If you have to drive long distances every day, an electric car isn't going to work at all. There is _no_ place for electric cars. Well, except as toys or moral superiority vehicles.

Reply to
krw

4C. Nonsense. You couldn't carry the plug.

Did you have a point?

Again, did you have a point?

Reply to
krw

Oh, come on! It's only a few hundred kilowatts.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

;-)

Reply to
krw

Yeah, except not supporting OPEC actually is morally superior.

Reply to
bitrex