RPN Calculators

Problem is, from the calculator of the good old times HP has only revived the financial ones. So I am hoping my HP11C lasts another 30 year.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Apparently they're sill available (pricey, though).

krw

Agreed about the 35S being a sad excuse for a calculator except for complex number handling. Base conversion and operation is absolutely horrid. It's obvious that the designers of the 35S haven't used HP's flagship calculators. However, it's still better than using an algebraic calculator.

Reply to
qrk

ebay

If the trusty old HP11C breaks down one day like my Texas SR-50 has, then the question ist what alternative are there really? A smart phone is certainly not an alternative for me.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I've only used one calculator that handled bases, other than 10, properly, and that was an app for a PalmPilot.

You got that right. I still like it, though it's nothing compared to a 10 or 45.

Reply to
krw

I understand that the HP-badged calculators are made by the same company that makes the TI-badged ones.

I lost my HP15C when some luggage was stolen at LAX. I have yet to find anything that comes close to being a replacement.

Allan

Reply to
Allan Herriman

As one raised on Algebra... before calculators ever existed... I prefer Algebraic calculators.

To me RPN seems so... so... so Polish >:-}

Besides Spice behavioral models aren't in RPN, they're Algebraic. ...Jim Thompson

I have been wondering for a while, if there are enough old geezers around to justify manufacturing a (small run of) an HP'ish calculator.

The one I would like:

  • HP-25 form factor, with one or two additional button rows to accommodate more functions. Robust 'clicky' buttons.
  • Two or three line RED LEDs, (not negotiable,) alphanumeric display. Dimmable to extend battery life.
  • High capacity batteries / long battery life. Separate backup battery to preserve user programs if the main battery is depleted. (Unless everything goes to flash memory)
  • Running on an appropriate ARM processor. Downloadable firmware, of course, so you can have a scientific version, a financial version, an [fill the blank] engineering version, an astrological version. ;)
  • Standard USB connector for recharging and transferring data to/from computers.

What would you add?

--
Roberto Waltman

[ Please reply to the group,
  return address is invalid ]
Reply to
Roberto Waltman

It's called a "smart phone".

Reply to
krw

I'm of the old school that believes phones are for talking, not surfing. What I'd like to find is a basic phone that can do inductive charging. ...Jim Thompson

What's the matter Thompson? Killfiles broken? ...or are you lying again.

Reply to
krw

A geezer edition would need a medication reminder, for when to take them thar pills in case one gets too carried away in all the calculat'n :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

A geezer edition would need a medication reminder, for when to take them thar pills in case one gets too carried away in all the calculat'n :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Such services already exist. Started with pagers, now as cell-phone texting... "Take your xxx pill now".

My son Aaron wrote the original code, when he was barely out-of-school, for a company called TekNow. When he left that company they sued him to prevent competition. They lost BAD >:-} ...Jim Thompson

Goes much further these days. Pill box has RF gizmo in lid, sends notice to other gizmo in kitchen when gramps takes his meds, kitchen gizmo sends that to a web server -> Kids or caregivers are alerted when gramps didn't take the meds.

Thou shalt not mess with the wrong people. A local district board learned that the hard way, from yours truly.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Wouldn't a phone that can do deductive charging be better?

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

JT > I'm of the old school that believes phones are for talking, not surfing. JT >  What I'd like to find is a basic phone that can do inductive charging.

TW > Wouldn't a phone that can do deductive charging be better?

I was thinking telepathic, to overcome people who forget to charge them.

Reply to
Greegor

Local district board? What did you get them for Joerg?

Reply to
Greegor

There's one for $245 (Yikes!) BIN on Ebay, and a few with bids around $100.

Reply to
JW

They wanted to get us to remove all our big trees for airport purposes and pay all of this out of our pocket. Same for dozens of others. Long story short, I made it rather clear to them that the law was not on their side. After they still threatened us this was followed by some ugly press exposure and dozens of us showing up at the meetings. You could literally see the sweat running off their foreheads. I am a friendly and forgiving guy (and became that way to them again after they waved the white flag) but I can become very nasty if someone wants to have me or innocent others over the barrel. They learned that very quickly.