Really Obnoxious Sound

"Jim Thompson" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Maybe a record of the last speech of Obama will do :)

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

-The fat female coworker on the phone in Office Space.:)

-A set of oscillators (a single 4069 IC will provide plenty) tuned to creat that dissonance often used in old electronic musical instruments to simulate cymbals before the digital era. Once one finds the right frequency ratio they can be really annoying.

Reply to
asdf

"Office Space"... is that some TV show? I don't recognize it.

Dissonance is what I'm after.

Anyone have an idea as to what is particularly annoying?

I'm perfecting my 800 number killer. To avoid rolling into voice mail I want to automatically answer with severe annoyance/dissonance ;-)

IIRC odd harmonics sound pretty bad? Maybe a single oscillator with dividers? ...Jim Thompson

That is probably a good idea as to a source of obnoxious sounds. Anything loud or square wave is probably band by law, but if you had an "on hold" function that after announcing the "on hold" message continued with a whining account of complaints to waste the callers time... well they won't be back.

Reply to
David Eather

That obnoxious "Please Hold" would be excellent. Any simple way to implement? ...Jim Thompson

Google "phone company recordings" and DL all kinds of obnoxious crap various phone companies spew. Art

Reply to
Artemus

message

Any recommended digital recorder that will interface easily to a phone line?

I'm not above recording farts and a toilet flushing ;-) ...Jim Thompson

message

Your modem may be able to do it. Google "modem record phone conversations" Art

Reply to
Artemus

*Maybe* this

or a cheap MP3 player and an isolation transformer

Reply to
David Eather

Not cheap

I gues google "caller on hold" or "music on hold"

Reply to
David Eather

message

Oh come on now! I've never seen a modem fart or flush a toilet!

Reply to
David Eather

wrote

And a capacitor for blocking DC, and some clamping for when the 90VAC ringer signal decides to show up..

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I have been known to put the '...number you have reached, is not a working number' recording on the answering machine.

It works well at causing people to disconnect.

Jon

Obama saying anything.

Reply to
krw

=========

Two tones with frequency ratio of 7 to 5, a musical interval known as a tritone, essentially a half octave. This sounds to me the least musical of all 12 of them. Have the tones in upper midrange to lower treble audio frequencies, between 1.5-2 KHz and the highest that goes through phones well (~3.6 KHz?).

Maybe 2 sinewaves of this ratio, with the mixture amplified and clipped to essentially rectangular.

Maybe try some other ratio that is neither a nice simple rational number nor available on a usual keyboard instrument.

========

There are some disonant chords out there, but I don't know what they are. Try a keyboard with a bright-sounding tone, such as a screechy violin or something close to scratching a chalkboard. I have heard some screechy chords with more than 3 notes, but I don't know what they are. Guessing from one that woke me up from a nightmare, one could be root,

2nd, 4th, minor 7th, octave.

========

~2.7 KHz modulated in amplitude or frequency by power line frequency or twice the power line frequency. Many fire alarms use this nowadays.

Maybe modulate by a rounded squarewave to have the modulating waveform include lots of both fundamental and 3rd harmonic.

Better still, have the higher frequency signal also modulated in frequency by a much lower frequency sinewave, maybe half a Hz to a few Hz.

========

Siamese cat in heat. As bad as that is, I give some chance that it can be worsened by one or some combination of pitch change, filtering and clipping.

=========

Whatever you choose, it will probably come through louder and may sound more harsh if you clip it or severely compress its dynamic range.

And afterwards filter it to accentuate frequencies around 2-3.5 KHz or the uppermost roughly an octave or somewhat less that both gets through phones well and concentrates around the ~2.7 KHz peak of human hearing.

Frequencies below 250-300 Hz or so don't get through phone lines well, and frequency content below 400-500 Hz easily detracts from contributing to perceived loudness when audio signal strength is limited.

--
 - Don Klipstein (don@misty.com)
Reply to

Two tones with frequency ratio of 7 to 5, a musical interval known as a tritone, essentially a half octave. This sounds to me the least musical of all 12 of them. Have the tones in upper midrange to lower treble audio frequencies, between 1.5-2 KHz and the highest that goes through phones well (~3.6 KHz?).

Maybe 2 sinewaves of this ratio, with the mixture amplified and clipped to essentially rectangular.

Maybe try some other ratio that is neither a nice simple rational number nor available on a usual keyboard instrument.

--
- Don Klipstein (don@misty.com)

Did you mean two particular notes on the equally tempered scale or exactly
5:7 ratio?

5:707 (the 6th semitone and fundamental) ratio would give a very
discordinate sound. I suppose the remaining precision would not matter.

Now tell me you used to be a piano tuner and use these weird ratios not on
the equally tempered scale!

mike
Reply to
m II

=A0wrote

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0Or

=A0 =A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

Hold music is Roseanne's Star-Spangled Banner.

Richard Henry

Actually, that's about all you rate. Except that you should be IN the toilet when you flush it, s*****ad.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan