Proton beams taste bad

Tastes like batteries!

Bill Beaty

The taste of raw power is not for everyone.

Reply to
Eric Gisse

Bill Beaty wrote in news:8fe850e0-bb4f-4aa2-8e1e- snipped-for-privacy@h19g2000prh.googlegroups.com:

Okay, so what do moonbeams taste like?

Dr. HotSalt

Reply to
Dr. HotSalt

There was that guy that got hit in the head by a proton beam

As a researcher at the Institute for High Energy Physics in Protvino, Bugorski used to work with the largest Soviet particle accelerator, the U-70 synchrotron.[2] On July 13, 1978, Bugorski was checking a malfunctioning piece of equipment when an accident occurred due to failed safety mechanisms. Bugorski was leaning over the piece of equipment when he stuck his head in the part through which the proton beam was running. Reportedly, he saw a flash "brighter than a thousand suns", but did not feel any pain.[1] [edit] After the accident

The left half of Bugorski's face swelled up beyond recognition, and over the next several days started peeling off, showing the path that the proton beam (moving near the speed of light) had burned through parts of his face, his bone, and the brain tissue underneath. As it was believed that he had received far in excess of the radiation dose that would normally kill a person, Bugorski was taken to a clinic in Moscow where the doctors could observe his expected demise. However, Bugorski survived and even completed his Ph.D. There was virtually no damage to his intellectual capacity, but the fatigue of mental work increased markedly.[2] Bugorski completely lost hearing in the left ear and only a constant, unpleasant internal noise remained. The left half of his face was paralyzed, due to the destruction of nerves.[1] He is able to function perfectly well, except for the fact that he has occasional complex partial seizures and rare tonic-clonic seizures.

Bugorski continued to work in science, and held the post of Coordinator of physics experiments.[2] Masha Gessen wrote in Wired that because of the Soviet Union's policy of maintaining secrecy on nuclear power-related issues, Bugorski did not speak about the accident for over a decade. He continued going to the Moscow radiation clinic twice a year, for examination, and to meet with other nuclear-accident victims. He "remained a poster boy for Soviet and Russian radiation medicine".[1] In 1996 he applied unsuccessfully for disabled status to receive his free epilepsy medication. Bugorski showed interest in making himself available for study to Western researchers, but couldn't afford to leave Protvino.[1]

Bugorski is married to Vera Nikolaevna, and they have a son, Peter.[2]

--
Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - My new book - Magick and Technology
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

I did a little experiment to see how much DC would cause a shock. I grabbed two alligator clips in my hands, connected to a DC power supply and cranked it up. After fooling around a while, I decided that around 90 volts was pretty uncomfortable. But I had a strong residual metallic taste afterwards, probably from nickel ions, that had a decay tau of an hour roughly.

I should repeat the experiment with copper alligator clips. Maybe different electrodes will have distinct tastes.

Why are so many academic papers, probably funded by the public, unavailable to the public? The progress of science has to be inhibited by this.

John

I believe that Anatoli Bugorski is already the expert in this area:

Victor Diego

Here's an experiment you can try at home:

Wet your finger and press it onto the negative terminal of a 9-volt battery. Connect the positive terminal to a wire whose opposite end can be dipped into a glass of water as you sip it. You'll get a slight sour taste when the wire contacts the water. Now reverse the battery and repeat. Any guesses about what will happen?

-- Joe

Reply to
J.A. Legris

Cheese Grommit ..... Madge shuts the obvious bag.

--
  http://www.madge.tk  Madges Links
Reply to

Try eating pie while holding the pie tin (aluminum) in one hand using a metal fork. You don't need a store bought battery :-) Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Bill Beaty wrote in news:8fe850e0-bb4f-4aa2-8e1e- snipped-for-privacy@h19g2000prh.googlegroups.com:

While the Tea Party is warning us providing health care to poor people and little kids is going to bankrupt America, we're sending this German thousands, maybe millions, to research something every middle schooler with a chemistry set already knew.

If you scan across improbably.com, you soon find that AMERICA, not German, not Japan, not the Arab trillionaires, is funding nonsense like this across the planet while normal American citizens rarely get anything of value in return for the horrible tax loads.

Sorry...the story, not the protons, put a horrible taste in my mouth that was very sour..... I shouldn't read improbable.com. It shows how really stupid the people holding the purse strings can be.

Reply to
Fred

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote in news:8rd42bFkb5U2 @mid.individual.net:

....who glows steadily in the dark....(c;]

I've always thought that many regular people who mysteriously get some disease or other may have been in the wrong place at the wrong time when a burst of cosmic rays passed through the planet...and them...trashing their DNA and a few organs on the way through.

If this were discovered to be true, of course, it would never see the light of day because billions of dollars in research, drugs and doctorhours would stop. Imagine if we discover that cancer is caused by cosmic rays we can do nothing about. Cancer research for the cure would become obsolete, overnight, putting thousands of PhDs on the street. Whole medical bureaucracies would follow them to the unemployment office.

We can't afford to find a cure.....or even a reason why these things happen.... How much money has Dr Salk's damnable cure for polio cost the medical and pharma corporations? Trillions?

Reply to
Fred

Well, some cancers are undoubtedly caused by cosmic rays, as well as natural background radioactivity from local minerals. Maybe if you are REALLY unlucky it will be critical DNA damage caused by a neutrino

--
Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - My new book - Magick and Technology
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Before all this education caused you to advance into science, remember when all the boys tried to get you to stick the clips of a 9V transistor radio battery to your tongue to prove how much of a "man" you were?.... (c;]

9V to the tongue is more than enough voltage to prove your research false. Sign me on as peer review...(c;] Your hands were dry. It's the CURRENT that shocks, not voltage.

(Please excuse the peer reviewed publication)

Reply to
Fred

"amdx" wrote in news:eb619$4d516b9c$18ec6dd7$5665 @KNOLOGY.NET:

Just put a penny and a dime in your mouth, then let them touch each other by moving your tongue. You're right about the store bought battery!

Hello from another customer on Knology's great service.

Reply to
Fred

I often taste 9V batteries to see if they are dead. If you do this for long, it will also leave a metallic taste.

And my fingers were deliberately wet when I did the 90 volt experiment.

Burning Man looks so bogus to me, not to mention miserable. The people who I know who like it are, well, not the most grounded.

John

I thought you just touched the 90V to your tongue...

--
Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - My new book - Magick and Technology
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

17 years ago I worked on a proton accelerator at LANL (Google APT proton accelerator). 100 mA of 10 MeV protons at the working end (think about it -- that's a lot of power).

So, now I know what it would have felt like to stick my head in the beam.

But, what I don't understand is... how he had direct access to something that was supposed to be in a vacumn.

Tom P. near Albuquerque

Reply to
tlbs101

Cancer is caused by denied self-hatred.

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Once, about fifty years ago, at a local penny arcade, there was an electric shock thing - it had two chrome knobs, one of which turned, and turned up the current, giving an electric shock. The challenge was, "How high can you turn the knob?" There was a meter of some kind, but I think it was mechanically coupled to the knob, not really measuring anything but "how far can you turn the knob."

It was kewl, albeit it was, in fact, an electric shock. I turned it up way high and the cramping muscles in my arms stood out like cords.

Of course, such a thing would be illegal today.

My first significant shock came from a car coil connected to a train transformer. BZZZZOW!

I think that's what got me interested in electronics. Well, that and my brother's crystal set. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Not even I am that crazy.