Switching power source on plugin for battery charger

'm designing my first battery charging circuit for a device and need some assistance. As a preface, I am charging a 3.7V 850mAh Polymer LiIon battery from a 5V wall-wart through a MAX1555.

I have a battery charge circuit and I have the rest of my circuit which runs off of 3.3V (3.7V down-converted to 3.3V via a MAX710 step- down) pulling about 100mA. My problem comes when I merge the two parts.

I don't want to overcharge my battery and would like the circuit to be running while the battery is charging. The problem is, if I just connect the battery + to the +rail of the circuit, it will draw 100mA

+battery charging draw. Will this confuse the MAX1555 and make it not turn off when it's supposed to?

My first thought is to somehow switch power sources from the battery to the 5v wall (through a step-down to get 3.3V) whenever the 5V supply is plugged in. I'm trying to think of the best way to do this. I was thinking of just putting steering diodes between the battery and wall rail but don't think this will work well because the battery will be switches on once it is charged and I'll run into the same problem as if I was just running off the battery charging rail by itself (as mentioned previously). Any suggestions? Thanks ahead of time for the help.

- Wes

Reply to
Zebov