Re: Microsoft is being sued by the State again this time about lying Vista Ready on every XP computer that can't run it.

They do have the advantage of a rather largish Reynolds number. It's kinda hard to scale that sort of thing, though we do make submarines that are pretty impressive, with about same numbers. ;-)

Only if they're tasty enough to get the gators to salivate. They usually gulp their food though. ;-)

ISD isn't such a big issue if you have deep pockets. I think the system in one of our labs was a few $hundredK though.

Yep. I've seen that too, but that's a different problem. I once had a Tek floppy disk drive that had the primary wiring screwed (twice). It was stuffing 60Hz on ground that was driving the gear batty. WHen I showed it to the Tek service tech he turned white. There was a huge recall on that one.

A volt is still enough to screw up measurements. ...lot of current running around there.

--
Keith
Reply to

Talking to yourelf again, dimbitch?

--
My sig file can beat up your sig file!
Reply to

Actually no, they preferentially eat insect larva like mosquitoes, and crane flys. Only very few dragonfly species are large enough to eat small tadpoles or very small fish.

Actually no, recent chances in the NEC in 2002 and 2005 mandate larger neutral and grounding conductors. Competent reviewers and inspectors will insist on things being built to code.

This too has been addressed by recent NEC changes, get the new 2008.

Delta windings in power transformers pretty well wipes out third harmonics and reduce other odd harmonics, but much of the harmonics are even order. For that you can use active harmonic correctors.

For people that care to use correct terminology it is, it is the twits that keep confusing it.

Now that IS doing the job correctly.

Any properly designed and used 4 terminal milliohmeter should be able to do that, even at 100 foot lead lengths.

Reply to
JosephKK

You must have very wimpy dragon flies where you live. I've seen them pull a duck under water. They are huge nasty things. Watch out for them if you go swimming.

[....]

This is good to know. I'll have to get a copy.

I've seen how little looking the inspector did. I've seen many things that could not have been to code on the day they were built. What the inspectors catch may get fixed but with the high price copper I'd still expect people to make the bet. In the past it wasn't a violation of code today it would be a bet on the part of the contractor.

[....]

I don't think that is true. The 3rd harmonic usually starts out in a single phase circuit. This means that it ideally ends up in the ground return going to the local transformer where it all cancels out. A large part of it ends up in the soil, taking the long way around. As a result, near the local untilities 3 phase power lines I always see more 180Hz than the 60Hz. The 60Hz cancels nearly perfectly at even fairly small distances.

Measurements near Moffet field in the SanFransisco area usually come up with about 3 times as much 180Hz than 60Hz radiated. On the far side of the bay far from power lines, the ratio is about 2 to one. Down near Morgan Hill there are some good sized transmission lines. You have to go south of them by quite a ways if you want to find a

180Hz field under about 20nTp-p. Within the bay area it is fairly hopeless.

PFC for power supplies is not about phase angle. Everybody seems to call it PFC.

[....]

I wasn't after the type of meter. I was after the points being measured.

At about 1.9mOhm per foot (IIRC) that only works out to a 50 foot length of #12 wire. From bench to bench that would be reasonable. From bench to ground rod it may not be. Between two ground rods at any distance it wouldn't be for certain.

Reply to
MooseFET

There are good reasons they bolt the racks down.

[.....]

The DC tape decks from Kennedy had the fuse in the minus side :<

Many years ago, there was an incident involving something in the building getting a short, an open ground wire and a long data cable. The cable caught on fire down its about 30 foot length.

My Tek scope has its ground pin removed from its power cord and a ground wire running from the front to the ground of the DC supply which then goes to the building ground. A few mV difference between grounds is serious trouble when amplifiers have a high gain at those frequencies.

Reply to
MooseFET

SO the DNA test determined which species dumped that steaming pile?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

About the biggest i see around here are 6 inch wingspan. That is not going to pull a duck under. I guess yours are about 3 foot wingspan?

Reply to
JosephKK

I'm sure it works fine with the ATI card. The problem is that apparently Matrox and SuSE have had a long-running feud so SuSe just shuts off the management software. I could convince it to work in

9.0 (though it wasn't all that easy) but there is no way in 10.0. I gave up on SuSE a year ago. At the recommendation of some folks in another group I thought I'd try Ubuntu but that didn't work at all. Well, the analog display worked for a while at a resolution that made the text so small I couldn't read anything. Like I said, I will try it again when I have more time, though I'm getting quite a long list of things I want to do (like putting together an HTPC - bought all the parts except the processor already).
--
Keith
Reply to

I paid $270 for my 24" 1920x1600 display last fall but I use that for may laptop. The Dell 2005FPW has been demoted to the Linux system.

--
Keith
Reply to

Something tells me your does not do 400 nits brightness and is slower than 5ms and has a weaker contrast ratio than 4000:1.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

Don't need a DNA test if that's all you want to know. It was obviously a donkey.

--
Keith
Reply to

On Mar 6, 5:42 pm, JosephKK wrote: {.....]

No, we just have very small ducks :) :) ( I know you were expecting that )

Here in the SanFransisco Bay area, there isn't as much water as in Florida so there are less of the bugs that need water to reproduce.

Reply to
MooseFET

WOW! That's quite a dump, all the way from England!!!!!!!!! :)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

What an oxymoron: Dimmy complaining about a lack of brightness.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Somethign tells me that you're a dim bulb, but I have never looked at the specs and really don't much care. It's quite a nice display, though the stand could be a little nicer.

Ok, the specs: 400nits, 3ms, 1000:1.

--
Keith
Reply to