It's that time again.

What kind of shoelaces should I use?

My shoes still have their original shoelaces, boots really. Now after I've worn them for a few years the laces are worn out and I need new ones.

I would like to find the exact laces but they are no longer made. The originals were made of catgut and of course getting catgut laces would be tough now. I could try and find NOS catgut laces, but I don't really have good internet access unless I go to Caribou, and the coffee is sooooo expensive there. And apparently sattelite internet doesn't work in my sky. So I get my access over telegraph lines, via Morse Code, and it's really slow. I thought you guys might be able to tell me where to find NOS catgut laces. I don't want the cheap Chinese catgut. I want good old 'Merican catgut. If I can't find catgut, what else should I try? What about length? If I can't find the exact length, should I get longer or shorter laces? Longer might mean tripping over them, but I could at least double knot them. Shorter might make them hard to tie.

I don't like fabric laces because they don't look right in old boots. Maybe I could find leather laces. Maybe I should try to re-stuff my old cagut laces with new fabric inside. I don't think I trust fabric laces anyway, how do I know they aren't really just string painted to look like fabric? And is leather really any different than catgut? What is the failure mode for catgut laces anyway? Has it got something to do with animal rights? How can I tell when my laces are worn out? Do they have to break? Or is just fraying enough to call them bad? What if they are just thin in spots? How thin do they have to get before I know they are bad? I tried to ohm them out but, but my meter just keeps telling me "---" which I guess means 0 ohms, they must be shorted. I'll add a resistor when I re-install.

If only one lace is worn out, should I replace both? What is this google thing of which you speak?

I'm thinking of adding aglets to my laces. Those little things that go on the end of them and keep them from fraying. I could just buy laces with aglets, but that would be too simple. I think I'll make my own out of Jello pudding and sawdust. Can anyone point me to an article explaining how? Text only please.

How do you remove old laces anyway? Everytime I try, they get all tangled in knots. And don't even THINK about putting them back in, that could be a nightmare. Does anyone have a boot stringing diagram? Make sure it's READABLE, so when I go to 7-11 to print it out, it's legible. What's a PDF?

I plan to use PAM to help re-install the laces. It not only lubricates them, but they'll smell like butter and the dogs in the neighborhood will all love me.

Thank you Terry.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

I would suggest ebay to find an NOS set for a lot less than you can engineer a poor copy, but I know how adverse you are to all those scammers reside there...

Reply to
John-Del

Couldn't you have waited two days?

John ;-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

There are people that don't have any shoes and here you are complaining about what type and length of laces you should get for your boots. Life is tough! :-) This is called a first world problem.

Reply to
amdx

Sew your own. I've never done it but there are instructions on the internet for sewing your own shoelaces: The trick seems to be to find a material that has enough surface friction to not untie half way through the day, and also not turn into the impossible to untie Gordian Knot if you double knot the bow. The commercial shoelaces seem to have that part figured out, at least for the cloth shoelaces.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Velcro.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

There are people with no feet to put shoes on, and some without legs to put feet on.

Reply to
jurb6006

Now people who really care about their laces should learn to tie them correctly.

Forget your degree and knowledge, there is a good chance that you are to stupid to know how to tie your shoes properly.

I shit you not. here is a tutorial on the subject;

Hope this helps }:-)>

Reply to
jurb6006

That works fairly well, until the loops becomes clogged with crud or until most of the hooks are broken, or the glued or sewed on edges begin to unravel. Velco claims 20,000 cycles before it becomes unusable. My experience is maybe 1,000 cycles if the straps become dirty or is in some way abused. If you put your shoes on and off once per day, that 365 cycles per year. 2,000 cycles would be about 6 years, which is longer than my "casual" shoes tend to last. If the shoes are subject to UV exposure, nylon UV embrittlement will cause even more broken loops and hooks, thus shortening its useful life even more.

US army dumps Velcro for buttons

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

.... in an electronics repair usenet newsgroup.

Reply to
Allodoxaphobia

hmm, from my point of view, many people are poor money managers. But very good consumers. My comment was tongue in cheek though.

Reply to
amdx

Terry posted this originally a few years back, as a satire of having to read oldschool's postings.

After reading tubeguy's postings I thought it was appropriate.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Ahh that explains it, I was wondering about the post now I can see the reasoning!

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

Not just oldfool's posts, but there are others here who go through Rube Goldberg lengths to solve a problem that would best be fixed by buying a new one at one half or less the cost.

Reply to
John-Del

What are you doing in a repair newsgroup?

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

:-)

Reply to
Terry Schwartz

Some people just need to be beat repeatedly in the head with a clue bat until they either catch on or go away.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

.PDF is named for Portable Document Format, but it needs a free reader from

Think of it as a non-editable (not necessarily true) file containing text & graphics that is readable on almost any device.

It may contain an index and it may be searchable. It can also be password protected. It can contain forms where you can fill in information. It can also act on those fields like add them and create an answer.

PDF's are inherently safer to open.

I routinely print to PDF format and rarely print a hardcopy. e.g. An Invoice for an online order. e.g. Print this page for your records.

==

I bought laces from the auction site. Just bought boot laces. They like to become untied. Good ends and strength. Can be purchased by the inch.

Reply to
Ron D.

Or you can try XPDF, free from

I use the 64 bit Linux version, but it has versions for 32 bit and 64 bit Windows. Its a free open source program.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Many years ago, I got tired of dealing with Adobe Acrobat bugs, hangs and crashes. So, I switched to PDF-Xchange (free version): which works nicely and does most of what I need. One very useful feature is the built in OCR reader, which will convert a non-searchable PDF into one that can be searched.