Windows XP Strikes Again

Newsgroups: alt.binaries.schematics.electronic Subject: Windows XP Strikes Again - ErrorMsg.jpg Message-ID:

Did an automatic "update" for Windows XP, re-booted, and got this error message (see message above on A.B.S.E)

Surfing, I get that it's some kind of help file, but I can't determine what program is involved, or whether it's just Wimpows turning in the screw a little further.

So far I haven't found any misbehavior.

Any ideas?

...Jim Thompson

Run a chkdsk and check for errors. If that doesnt work re-install the Realtek audio drivers or updated drivers.

Martin Riddle

Yep. It's the RealTek stuff "causing" the problem. Funny how it wasn't a problem until Windows XP updated itself :-(

I'll call PC Club tomorrow and ask what I should install.

Thanks, Martin!

...Jim Thompson

As usual it was a MicroShit barf. Patch already released ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Time to switch to Vista. No more driver problems (there aren't any drivers available).

My inner child can beat up your inner child.
                -- Alex Greenbank
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

If they are any good they will suggest SuSE-10

Reply to
MooseFET

Yep, I was just about to send you a link to the hotfix, but apparently you have already found it. I had the same problem.

Jim

Reply to
James Beck

I had an old dual-processor Pentium PC that was working fine under Win2K and WinXP Pro (the original install). Then one day, after Windows downloaded a service pack (one of the large ones, SP1 or SP2, I forget which), it would blue-screen on startup claiming that there was an ACPI error related to the multi-processor support and, sorry, your PC is now dead.

@#$@#$%#$%T

We ended up installing WinXP Home... which only supports one CPU, so the other one just starts there idle, but at lesat the PC is still usable...

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

You probably could have reloaded XP Pro and then done the SP BEFORE adding any other software and been just fine. A lot of times it is the accumulated crap that causes the problems not the service pack per se. Otherwise, there would be a lot of dual core people REALLY pissed off.

Jim

Reply to
James Beck

MooseFET wrote:

After their recent pact with the devil, I expect to see Novell getting out of the Linux business soon.

**The label said "Requires Windows 2000 or better", so I installed Linux.** 8-)
Reply to
JeffM

Only if you want all sorts of software to stop working! I've only used it for a day (new laptop) but it appears a lot is broken (OrCad, for one). I'm kicking myself for not spending EXTRA for WinXP.

--
   Keith
Reply to

Could you detail for us what breaks in OrCAD? There's plenty of people on this group who use it...

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

THat's nothing new, My son has MB with a realtek Nic, every time you use the MS update driver, his Nic no longer works. He's has to use the resource CD that comes with the MB and reinstall the Nic driver.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

Old house rule here: If there is no urgent need for an update then there will be no update. And auto-update is always turned off. I don't want any guys up north blowing me out of the water in the middle of a time-critical project.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

[snip]

I hope you're still in "maintenance"?

...Jim Thompson

You know what is real funny? And that is the update that I now and then block when MS decides to attempt to sent it to me. It's the one that checks for the authenticity of your OS.. OK. I still use W2k Pro, So, I never registered it. It sits here in the box just for that rainy day incase I need to reinstall.. It does not make me register it, so why should I give MS the glory of having another number they issued finally make it to their list of people using a valid OS! as they would say..

One of the reason's I don't allow it to install is this:

#1. I know of 3 people now that have registered (bought) versions of XP and W2k. They can no longer reinstall or install on another new PC. This is after they ran this update..

#2. MS are liars. This started happening when Vista started to get ready for release.! how quaint... oh well.

In any case, you maybe wise to not allow that update to go in.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

Like not being able to use the snow tires from your old car on your new one?

Question: If they bought it, shouldn't they be able to just install from the CDs without connecting to the web? If not then that would almost be grounds for a nice little lawsuit. Who knows, could even mutate into a fat one of the class action kind.

Wait until the Europeans figure that out. The parliament in Brussels will be all over them and Billy may have to write them another check.

Well, but what chance do you have for a PC that was bought just before Vista? There was a reason why I bought it before Vista...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

soon.http://www.google.com/search?q=site:slashdot.org+intitle:novell+intit...

Coming soon: "Microsoft Linux" Features: All users log on as Root Will exec any file Has auto-reboot feature

Reply to
MooseFET

That's the reason why I bought a PC just before Vista showed up. Did the same when XP came out but on account of a biz trip I missed that window. Had to sweet-talk a rep at Dell into giving me Win2K on the new machine. Well, they did it but I had to pay extra. I am sure it saved me a lot of grief.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

I assume you are getting sound card in use by another program or some such error?

Look in your device manager, bet there is a total lack of RealTek Audio in there. If you try to open Volume control, you will get errors, too.

Yes that stupid update did it. Why? Did it to me.

I am unsure what fixed it, but I reinstalled drivers (I know that alone did not do it). Then I installed Windows Media Player 11 (I had DECLINED that when it ate my audio). Then I went into the audio set up and returned the settings from my Modem as the main audio device back to the Realtek. I rebooted and it was back.

Hope it helps.

Brian

Rising Technologies, Inc.

Reply to