Re: Larkin in an advertisement...

Do observations of intergalactic gaps indicate that dark energy follows the inverse square law?

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

That kind of assumes that we're at the center of the universe. Again! :)

Otherwise we'd see more and farther in one direction.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Isn't everywhere at the center of the universe?

John

Not if some things are closer to the wall.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Everything is at the same distance from the wall. If we were flatlanders, we'd be on the surface of a (really big) balloon. Most of the balloon is expanding although there are local mass concentrations where attraction overcomes the expansion. To the inhabitants on the surface of the balloon, there is no center or rather any place is just as much a "center" as any other place.

It's not a rigorous analogy; AIUI the questions of closed versus open and positive/negative/flat curvature aren't answered yet for the real universe. I really haven't been keeping up with the literature, though. One day all of the stacks of journals will fall over and that'll be the end... ;-)

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

I'm familiar with all that, but it's not compatible with being inside a bubble (note, he said we're in it, not on the surface) where red-shifed galaxies are near the wall.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Red-shift increases linearly with distance from Earth. So either we are at the center of the universe, or everywhere is at the center of the universe.

John

I don't know. Beyond my pay grade. Dark energy was discovered long after my direct involvement with this stuff. I trust the researchers to have determined that there is acceleration though so however much I may dislike dark energy as a concept it does fit with the observations.

This simulation is relatively old hat. They have just got a brand new £2M supercomputer to do even bigger and more complete simulations.

and

Has more up to date details.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

--
I never said "if n becomes infinite", I said "if n+1 ever becomes
infinite", which means that if n+1 becomes infinite, then n must be

Right, and I'll bet on the latter.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

--
Your brother is your dad?

Assuming your brother is older than you are, of course, ;)
Reply to
John Fields

Ya know, I did get that after a minute, and it's biologically possible, but not possible any other way.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

I hope we are a bubble in a glass of beer.

Reply to
John S

Futurama fans might disagree.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I don't get the reference. I'm a Pinky and The Brain man.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

I expected so. All men of Quality are.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

No, you really don't make any sense when you cackle.

I see well enough (albeit with glasses - but rather the reverse of myopic) to know that you don't know the days of the week.

Reply to
krw

--
I don't wear glasses, but it's interesting to watch you make a
spectacle of yourself.

The days of the week?
Reply to
John Fields

Maybe he's got his 'Day of the week' pantes in a bunch? :)

Michael A. Terrell

If you are out there with it, you can never be AT infinity either. So, there is always room to add one more, silly man.

That is why there are no "units" of infinity.

Reply to
The Great Attractor