Re: Larkin in an advertisement...

More sand in the air... 1 Larkin worth ;-) ...Jim Thompson

So the concept of infinity is meaningless. You're digging deeper.

Anyone who believes that sign means they'll get a beer for nothing on Tuesday will believe your concept of infinity.

Reply to
krw

And it follows that no value can ever be unbounded. Congrats, you have upended centuries of mathematics.

John

As far as naming a number that's greater than infinity goes, how's this:

? + 1

Of course this is not a valid argument if you assume that the gain is not infinite, but that's circular.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Therefore nothing can be infinite.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

My encoding must be wrong. Of course the ? is infinity.

--
That's just silly, since if n can never exceed n+1 it is, of course,
bounded.

It may grow hugely, but if n+1 ever becomes infinite, then n will
still not quite have gotten there.
Reply to
John Fields

There is a cosmologist that speaks about our Universe in a similar way. If it is bounded, what is on the other side of the boundary?

More boundary? More cowbell? I say cowbell +1.

Reply to
The Great Attractor

--
Seems to me that you're not digging it at all.
Reply to

--
That's fine, but irrelevant since what's being discussed is generating
a number greater than the gain of the relay.

--
I fail to see how that can be true, since "nothing" is at the other
end of infinity. ;)

--
Yes; it's evident from the context. :-)
Reply to

Should not be able to get back to "the other end" either, if you are out at "infinity".

Nothing at both ends.

After entropy... nothing in the middle either.

Reply to
The Great Attractor

And that plus 1 brings us back here.

I liked "The Circles of Time" and the "Time Prophet" in the Cable TV series "Lexx".

Ever experience "Deja Vu"? A dream that later occurs exactly as in the dream?

Reply to
The Great Attractor

When I was in fifth grade I dreamed my brother was on the news, and the next day, my father was. Close.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

--
My hypothesis is that it's cheese.

Well, let me explain...

Instead of a big bang starting our universe, it was more like a
cavitation event with all the matter in our universe outgassing from
the wall of the bubble, beyond which lies the Universe.

So we're like a bubble in a huge piece of Swiss cheese.

This neatly explains why the redshift of galaxies increases the
farther away (the closer to the wall) they are.

That is, assuming that gravitation follows an inverse square law, then
the closer to the wall something gets, the greater the gravitational
force exerted on it by the Universe, so the greater its velocity  and
red shift becomes the closer it gets to the wall.

A further assumption is that either our universe isn't spherical or,
if it is, that gravitation in the Universe isn't constant.
Reply to
John Fields

--
Maybe there's something your Mom's not telling you... ;)
Reply to

You have to be very careful how you ask that question. The universe is likely infinite by any practical definition, but there are other horizons that can be defined notably the location of the surface in the universe where the Hubble expansion reaches the speed of light in vacuum and beyond that surface we can never even in principle explore.

In practice we cannot see anything beyond the surface of last scattering where the 4K microwave background originates. That might change if someone ever manages to make an neutrino imaging telescope.

You will find a fair number of cosmologists that would at least entertain the possibility that there is a foam of island universes each with slightly different physics. Multiverse theories are currently popular. You could even entertain the possiblity that we that is our universe is just a tiny quantum fluctuation in some larger object.

And little fleas have lesser fleas upon their backs to bite em. It could well be turtles all the way down.

No it doesn't. External spherical shells of matter can have no effect. The only way you can get distance related redshifts that match observations is to have the universe once very small a long time ago.

A fellow called Gauss proved that you are wrong. You do not feel any attraction when you are inside a spherically symmetric shell of material of uniform density. It is for this reason that dropping a ball through the centre of the Earth will undergo simple harmonic motion since its restoring force is proportional to displacement.

The same theorem explains why a Faraday cage works. It also provides tricks for making exquisitely sensitive tests of inverse square laws.

Unclear why you think you need that assumption.

As far as we can tell the Hubble flow is pretty uniform apart from in the vicinity of large clusters of galaxies where local and midrange gravitational effects become important. Great Attractor and Sloan Great Wall being large scale examples of the latter.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

John Fields wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You are the one that is being silly..., Once n becomes infinite, there can be no larger number, and n+1 cannot exist.

--
Bob Q.
PA is y I've altered my address.

How would that explain it?

(I'm sure the little on-street interview was made the same day it was broadcast.)