Re: Larkin in an advertisement...

thermals.

How's that music career coming along?

John

Uh, do they latch mechanically?

If so, power would be zero most of the time, and gain would go to infinity over time, no?

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

John, I say again, I know where you're coming from. I agree with you from a practical point of view.

Consider that gain = Power Out / Power In.

If there is *ever* any input power, how can the gain be infinite?

For practical purposes, you are correct. On this group with people wanting to needle you, well.....

John

Reply to
John S

surprising

Notice the standard (and REPETITIVE) Larkin lines:

"You don't do much electronics"

"I post all sorts of schematics, from goofy ideas [certainly true] to stuff in production [Where? Pictures of boxes don't count]. If you can't remember the complete ones, with parts values and all, we'll forgive you." [Show us... cite Message-ID's]

"I like to design stuff"... should be "I'd like to design stuff, except I can't, so I obfuscate and pretend I'm a designer" ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Hey, I'm a simple design engineer. If a number is so large you can never bound it, I call it infinite. If it's so small you can never assign it a finite value, I call it zero. I guess that's because I don't have advanced degrees in Philosophy or Modern Dance or whatever those old farts have.

John

*Yes*. That's what I meant. This is a pissing contest to humiliate you, if possible, and make you admit that you were wrong. They want you to continue to stand and fight. Let it go.

And, FWIW, I consider the topic of this thread in extremely poor taste. Although I have benefited from Jim's posts in a technical way, my respect for him as a person has diminished considerably (not that he would care about that).

John

Reply to
John S

--
Apples and oranges, since that young person is copying someone else's
design, uses an instrument different from mine, and doesn't do

Unboundedly large ~= infinite

He understands that it drives the hens to cluck.

Reply to
krw

The group should be practical. It's also practical to be literal sometimes, but it's practical to respect both approaches because you may need them.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

A *leaky* killfile.

Reply to
krw

They latch either mechanically or magnetically.

Well, if you consider that gain = Pout/Pin, then if there is *ever* any input power, then the result cannot be infinite.

From a practical standpoint, we can consider it so large as to be infinite.

Cheers, John

Reply to
John S

--
No, by richly deserved ridicule.
Reply to

No matter how you switch a voltage, when you switch it to zero it doesn't go to zero. It goes toward zero.

Isn't the concept of limits a valid alternative way to look at any number?

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

*Absolutely*, Tom.

I think the people in this group are very intelligent and know all the approaches. The problem is that someone gets a burr under his saddle and attacks the burrer. I just wish these spiteful arguments would end and the giants here could collaborate and teach so much to minions like me. After all, it's why I came here in the first place.

Cheers, John

Reply to
John S

surprising

We ugly "old gits" drive inadequate people like Larkin absolutely nuts ;-) ...Jim Thompson

--- Not bad.

I can play John Lennon's "Imagine" all the way through, and Allison Krause's "Mr. Lucky", and I have a few original compositions in the works.

And you?

-- JF

Reply to
John Fields

Well, yes. I don't understand how this fits in with our discussion.

Do you agree that gain=Pout/Pin? If so, regardless of the Pout (less than infinity) that any number in the denominator that is greater than zero means that the quotient cannot be infinity.

Of course. What is the limit of (number < infinity)/(number > 0) ?

Reply to
John S

surprising

Ok, you didn't get it. I understand. :)

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

It boils down to this:

JL: Relays have infinte gain!

Then the riot broke out.

Michael A. Terrell

Not even if he is switching infinte current at infinite voltage, but then it wouldn't give him anything to rant about.

Michael A. Terrell