Proton beams taste bad

Evil publishers.

Quite a few people share your opinion, and a number of them have got togetehr to do something about it

the downside of open access is that you have to pay the cost of getting yur article reviewed, aceepted and made accessible for open access

with fees ranging from $2,900, through $2,250 down to one journal with a bargain price of $1,350.

Some academic journals will make your paper freely available if you them a comparable amount of money to buy out their copyright. Review of Scientific Instruments will do it for $1,500.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

If cancer is caused mainly by cosmic rays, then the research money should go into developing fashionable lead lined clothing and hats. N'est pas?

Reply to
Ralph Barone

One of the guys who fried himself at Los Alamos with neutrons and gamma rays also experienced a "sour taste".

Reply to
Jared

Ralph Barone wrote in news:invalid-

3B526C.18570508022011@shawnews:

Living in the metal shielding of my mobile home won't stop cosmic rays, but the RF radiation hazards are greatly reduced, as you can see on any sellphone trying to make a call.

Reply to
Fred

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

PUN! PUN POLICE! PUN POLICE!!

Reply to
Fred

tlbs101 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups. com:

It can't operate without the vacuum, can it? The protons would be bouncing all over the place hitting the air molecules, probably splitting some of them.

Reply to
Fred

Rich Grise wrote in news:iish0g$5q4$6 @news.eternal-september.org:

When I was a little kid in the 50's, we spent hours being blasted by CW Xrays spraying our brains as we stared into that little hood over the flourescent screen the xrays lit up on the way to our brains. We xray'd feet, arms, various live animals (the ones we could stuff in the foot holes over the xray tube platform), radios (great pictures xrays of portable radios), and other small objects like plastic appliances/watches/etc.

As we grew older, long before these intense Xray generators were banned, we expanded our experiments in front of the shoe stores to full chest xrays, brain scans, etc., by taping 4x5 film plates to our various body parts and standing up on top of the machines....exposing the film. Someone would shut down the machine's rear power switch, the victim would stand very still on the platform so it wouldn't fuzz the picture and we'd experiment with radiation times with various plates. One of our ignorant fathers was a photo nut who had a dark room in the cellar to develop them and load us more film to expose.

It was probably a good thing Navy never found out my lifetime radiation dose or I may have had to go to Vietnam in the Army to die with my friends who got drafted. From the HOURS we spent in the Xrays, any dosimeter would have been simply melted....(c;]

In a dark room, I'm told there is a certain aura young women can see, but I like to think that has nothing to do with xrays or my nuke exposure in the shipyard.....(c;]

Reply to
Fred

Apparently someone hurt themselves grabbing 40VDC busbars, so insurance companies give this as the low threshold of "dangerous voltage." But I heard it occurred after having skin soaked in salt water for a long period.

Unwise experiment follows. (Causes vision to transiently grey-out!)

I wondered whether a 9v battery could still generate a bad flavor, if the path was through my body, not just through my tongue. I connected one terminal to a spoon held in my mouth. I connected the other to metal dunked in a glass of salt water, then inserted my finger. Nothing, no electrocution death, and no flavor for either polarity.

But then I tried tapping the cliplead against the spoon in my mouth. Oh ho! I see a small flash of "darkness" in my visual field! The sudden change in the pattern of milliamps flowing up through my arm, neck, across my skull, and into the spoon ...it passes through my optic nerve!

I resisted the temptation to post this on my science fair site for kids experiments.

If you try it and it doesn't work, you're probably lucky.

nt electrodes will have distinct tastes.

Yeah, cadmium plated. Or perhaps nickel! :)

Reply to
wbeaty

You disappoint me. I was looking forward to a fun story.

--
Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - My new book - Magick and Technology
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

In a totally dark room I believe that naked people are visible. IIRC skin emits around 10 photons per sq cm per second, which is just enough for the eye to register

--
Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - My new book - Magick and Technology
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - My new book - Magick and Technology
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

IIRC neutrons are far worse than protons when it comes to bio damage

--
Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - My new book - Magick and Technology
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

electrodes will have distinct tastes.

Have you heard of DC stimulation brain hacking? At the 1mA level it can switch on and off groups of neurons on the surface of the brain. Can enhance memory, motor skills etc (or depress them depending on polarity).

--
Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - My new book - Magick and Technology
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote in news:8rf1faFkhnU3 @mid.individual.net:

Interesting. I can't see her, however. I suppose it's because my surging hormones make me too dizzy....(c;]

Maybe it's the fumes!

Reply to
Fred

I recall being in a cave when I was a kid when the lights were switched off and after a while I thought I could see shapes in the dark, including my own hands when I waved them in front of my face. At the time I just thought it was an hallucination, but now I'm not so sure.

--
Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - My new book - Magick and Technology
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Probably bioluminescence:

;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

accelerator). =A0100 mA of 10 MeV protons at the working end (think about i= t -- that's a lot of power).

that was supposed to be in a vacumn.

I'm not sure about proton beams, but for electron beams they use a thin Beryllium 'window' at the end of the vacuum chamber. Pretty amazing, An 8 inch diameter peice of Be and (I think) it was ~4 mils thick in the center... holding off an atmosphere of pressure. (made by Brush-wellman)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

accelerator). 100 mA of 10 MeV protons at the working end (think about it -- that's a lot of power).

was supposed to be in a vacumn.

Somewhere I have a piece of plexiglass that was on the receiving end of a relativistic electron beam pulse - they went in and then bounced around inside the plastic to make a wonderful diffusion limited aggregation like pattern of internal damage.

I wouldn't be that keen to put my tongue in the way of an APT proton beam. It does seem highly likely that they will taste of acidic H ions.

Someone on a beamline has recently synthesised a small amount of pseudohydrogen with mass 4 by swapping one of the electrons for a muon.

(might be subscriber access only)

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

The e-beam energy is selected so that electrons only penetrate about half way through the plexi. This temporarily strands a huge swarm of electrons deep inside. When suddenly released (by poking with a sharp point or continuing to inject electrons until the plexi breaks down), the resulting dielectric breakdown and internal discharges create multitudes of little fractures and tubules - a positive Lichtenberg Figure.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Hickman

Ralph Barone expounded in news:invalid-3B526C.18570508022011@shawnews: ...

..

Don't forget all those "routine" x-rays.

DENTIST OFFICE:

"We want to take a new set of x-rays"

"It's a routine procedure... with low dosage and very safe."

Attendant puts lead apron over your groin.

Then walks over behind the brick wall.

If it is so safe, then what's with the brick wall and the lead apron?

I avoid x-rays unless I feel it can actually help the current situation. The routine procedure is routine Russian Roulette. A few high energy photons absorbed in the right place (by chance) is cancer causing.

The risk is low, but still there.

Warren

Reply to
Warren