cryptocoins: sounds like really bad dynamics

Classic pump and dump.

Reply to
Ed Lee

I'm always impressed by how little politicians and economists seem to care about system dynamics. They seem to enjoy and encourage boom/bust cycles.

I suppose it is in the very nature of life to not allow a comfortable zone for anyone for too long, so these cycles may be just a manifestation of that.

Reply to
Dimiter_Popoff

I think the golden boys thrive on a bit of mayhem. There is no point in trading assets if the rates don't move.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Like having a peak-to-peak money rectifier.

"Hindsight is not equal to foresight."

There seems to be a natural trend to say "I could have bought xxx stock at 15 cents and I'd be rich now", and then think you can do something like that now. Another instinct is to buy on the up-slope because everyone else is doing it.

I guess the banks and brokers are happy to have the day-traders go broke periodically, since the big boys wind up with their money.

Lots of laws and regulations could be changed dampen the system. Hardly anyone talks about that.

It happens way too slow for a doomsday scenario. Classic correction, yet pretty deep.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

They don't. John Larkin thinks that Keynes was wrong (and consequently thinks that the techniques that have been used dampen boom-bust oscillations for some sixty years now don't actually work).

who is a psychologist, got the 2002 Nobel Prize in Economics for spelling out the mechanism that drives the alternation between boom and bust. Keynes exploited the same insight (not formally spelled out) to work out what to do to damp them a whole lot earlier. There are a bunch of economists who are addicted to mathematically tractable - but unrealistic - mathematical models of the economy, who consequently reject Keynes and right-wing lunatics are still taking them seriously.

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Removal of regulations can also dampen it, because they sometimes prevent the market from dampening it. Real estate prices went up 30% and then crashed, but only 3% in places that have no zoning laws. They were free to build to make the supply equal to the rising demand.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso