Predictable response

Personally I never saw a problem with the cards. If the voter looks at his ballot before he drops it in the box he will see all of those hanging chads and if the "PortaPunch" device is cleaned every decade or so you won't have the dimpled /pregnant chads. Once the cards get into the reader it should be 100% accurate and you can always run them througfh again.

Reply to
gfretwell

Use a PC and software (touch screen OK) to print a paper ballot which clearly shows your vote. Count those.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

I thought he was one of those killed at the Columbine shooting?

--
Dirk

http://www.onetribe.me.uk/ - The UK\'s only occult talk show
Presented by Dirk Bruere and Marc Power on ResonanceFM
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

...and football.

--
  Keith
Reply to

You don't even need OCR. Ours look like a large version of an SAT test. Color in the squares with a sharpie provided and they're scanned by one machine at the door. There are 30-40 tables set up so no line. Multiple precincts can use the same reader since the ballots are scanned. The paper ballot is then available (locked inside the scanner) for any necessary recounts. It's a very nice system and certainly cheaper than some dumb PC gizmos.

--
  Keith
Reply to

While they were trying to count the ballots in FL in 2000, Canada held a federal election all done with old fashioned ballots and black pencils. They ran the campaign, held the vote, counted the ballots and declared the winners all while FL still couldn't get the right count.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Americans don't play football, it's some weird thing where they dress up in body armour.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Same here. Our ballots are HUGE!

...Jim Thompson

I expect things to go full circle. There is no reason enough people can't be hired to make the manual counting of paper ballots happen in a timely manner.

The machines will prove to actually be worse than the manual system and people simply don't trust them. The lack of trust undermines the whole idea of democracy.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

In article , Homer J Simpson wrote: [....]

New flash from the year 2012:

In a surprising turn of events, Bill Gates has won the election for president as a write in candidate. When we reached Mr. Gates for comment he said that the public obviously shares his vision of the future.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I wonder if Ken S. has a cite on Diebold's president saying he'd "ensure the "right" outcome",or if Ken S.just THINKS he means to distort the vote count? IMO,Ken is deranged.

and of course,the VRWC would ensure that no Diebold employee would spill the beans on this illegal act. B-)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

It sure works in Seminole County,Fl.

I'd like to see on-line voting using a secure voter registration number and return email receipt.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net
Reply to
Jim Yanik

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Nipple jewelry. And I think she got breast enhancement afterwards. (FWIW,that solves the "unappealing booby" problem!) ;-)

But breast-feeding an infant in public is horrible. ??? IMO,one of the most natural things in the world.

IMO,the place that boob wes exposed was the WRONG place for such a thing. I (and probably a great many US citizens)have no problem with it in movies,or at selected beaches,etc.,but inappropriate at a sports half-time show,Superbowl or any regular sports game.

And *I* believe it was deliberate,not an accident. Just a dumb attempt to be outrageous,push the limits.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

My first exposure to democracy was a Vermont town meeting back in the fifties. Some issues were decided by voice vote, but the ballots for some questions and each elected position were printed on different-colored paper, and all ballots were placed in the same box. When it came time to count, all the ballots were dumped out on a table, sorted by color, and then the counting was done in public where anyone who cared could watch.

Reply to
Richard Henry

In message , dated Wed, 6 Sep 2006, Richard Henry writes

That's very well-managed. The 'dead vote' ballots were obviously put in the box before the meeting. That's much better than 'discovering' them under the table when the box is emptied. (.-)

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

In article , Jim Yanik wrote: [....]

First off, you lose 2 points for not recognizing at joke. The "right" outcome was a quip intended for JT.

The exact quote from 2004 is: "committed to helping Ohio deliver its electoral votes to the president next year."

No, I believe that he thinks that a republican victory is the right thing.

BWAAAAAH You just don't like it when people disagree with you.

Last time I checked, a lot of beans have been spilled. For that matter we seem to be walking around up to our knees in spilled beans but people don't seem to notice.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

And yet the video of her sunbathing nude and playing patty cake with her bum was downloaded about 5 million times!

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

There's no accounting for taste.

John

Why else would she have been wearing a costume with strategically placed detachable bits ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Jessica Simpson proves that.