Re: Collective Salvation

You have to see...

> > and read... > >
> Opium of the Masses

So? And what's wrong with communism? I mean, really, what's wrong? The ONLY thing that "communism" has meant for the last sixty years is "irrational fear and hatred". No one sees it for what it's supposed to be. That fear is supported by Soviet, Chinese and others' atrocities in the name of communism, and drilled into us by just as many years of Soviet-fearing propaganda. But Marx would hardly agree with their implementation of it.

You're Christian, right? Do you realize that Jesus was a communist, a hippie you might say? Alas, the world isn't nearly perfect enough for all to live together in community, but the same utopian vision -- to strive for -- is still there. It may take a visionary even smarter than Marx himself (please go and actually *read* some of his works, you'll quickly realize he's painfully precise and boring, as any academic is) to formulate a passable communist state. But I think it's possible to do it right. It will just take a while.

As for capitalism, why is capitalism obsessed with growth, anyway? Can you give a sufficient explanation? I don't think you can. In a world of finite resources, exponential growth is utterly and completely impossible. (A quick calculation shows that, once we tackle fusion technology, global warming will quickly become inevitable (within a few centuries) -- not due to CO2 but due to pure heat energy produced by the process!) We will eventually have to slow down and change our economic and political system, for better or for worse, in order to simply survive. Maybe not now (don't worry, there's lots of energy and land still available to us), but some day.

Ya know, now I'm kind of curious about your response. Well, posting from Google Groups is a bit of a handicap. But assuming you do see this reply, you already know I'm not some liberal pinko, so you can't dismiss my statements out of hand; still, your hard-engrained thought process will deny as much of it as possible, producing a strong urging for a quick, dismissive "leftist weenie", something you know isn't true. I know it's never your style to sit down and actually debate issues, but it's nice to hope for, at least...

Tim

Reply to
Tim Williams

It's based on theft and coercion.

These are bad things; if you like being robbed at gunpoint to pay other people's bills, then move to a country that doesn't claim to be the "Land of the Free."

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

It plain doesn't work. As has been proven time and again.

Often the collection tool can be summed up in one word: Kalashnikov.

In his manifesto he blessed Lenin's approach. And that was a disaster.

Jesus teaches compassion for each other, caring for each other. God does _not_ endorse freeloading and laziness, things that inevitably fester in an entitlement society. I am not good in memorizing bible passages but I can find it if you want me to.

It isn't. If at all, capitalism is about growth on an individual scale. Being better than the competition, eating their lunch. Quite a natural habit of mankind. It's what America is based on and that's a good thing. Still, we are a compassionate people, I have never seen such an abundance of free-will giving as in America.

Capitalism will find solutions then, too. Only free enterprise can do that, and most of all small business.

Tim, I won't see your response unless someone else answers it. Had to ditch the whole Google domain because it was infested with spam and they do not listen. Can you get a "real" news account?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Richard The Dreaded Libertarian wrote:

In Communism, man exploits man. In Capitalism, it's the other way around.

ALL government is about re-distribution of wealth. The ongoing controversy is always the proportions. The current (NeoCon) plan is "Take from everyone who isn't already rich and give that to those who are already wealthy". (It's channeled thru corporations so it isn't quite so obvious.)

Reply to
JeffM

Granted, the most frightening aspect of Soviet and Chinese communism is actually their totalitarian leaning. There isn't much to fear from a communist government run democratically, i.e. based on the desires of the people.

But therein lies the problem. If all decisions are delegated to the collective wishes of the people, then this collective becomes all powerful. And since a pure democracy is impractical, the bureaucracy that actually implements the governing system becomes all powerful as well. The power of our system (in the USA, Britain and others) is that the power of the government is restricted. Some decisions are made democratically, some by representatives. But the Constitution (or similar documents in other countries) restrict the government's power.

It's disingenuous for the right wing to pick on Obama, or any other Democrat, for referring to 'the collective'. The GOP (particularly under Bush) has made significant inroads into the rights of individuals. And he has done so by executive order, much as the Soviet Union did when it existed. Fortunately, Democrats, and the few remaining true Republicans have challenged him on some of his activities. There's really nothing wrong with the citizens of a country, as a collective, deciding to do something, as long as it is subjected to suitable restrictions. Those that fear 'the collective' are most likely up to something that 'the collective' wouldn't approve of, or the law wouldn't allow.

Back in the days of McCarthy, we feared Communism (capital 'C') because it was an organization directed by a foreign power intent on exerting its influence over us. And it attempted to do so by recruiting key opinion makers and government officials to do its bidding out of the public's view, rather than appealing openly to the masses. But today, the current administration takes its marching orders from other foreign powers, like sovereign wealth funds, the Mossad and Irgun. Where is the reincarnation of Joe McCarthy when we really need him?

The blinking cursor writes; and having writ, blinks on.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.
[snip]

Paul, I'm a wee bit slow ;-)

Could you please cite what rights (as a citizen) it is that I've lost?

...Jim Thompson

   "Sarah Palin is to the left what sunlight is to a vampire."
                          - Cal Thomas

Nuh-uh. Capitalism is about individual achievement. If you don't want to be exploited, don't do the deal. But that implies a measurable amount of Common Sense.

Right, which is why government is bad.

Oh, you and your corporophobia! Sheesh! The only way corporations can make any money is to make their customers happy. The government just takes what they want, and wave a smoke screen by hyping up the boogieman du jour.

Here's the difference between Government and The Mob:

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

Jim Thomps>Paul, I'm a wee bit slow ;-)

It would be easier to list those you have left: You can own a gun; you can pray; you don't have to house a Redcoat.

*-what-you-have-left+inc+sacrifice+inc+Democrats.prove.it.also.happens.when.mediocre.people.do.nothing+inc+Here's.what.you've.sacrificed+six-tenths-*-*-*-*-*

Reply to
JeffM

Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue; but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

--
Paul Hovnanian	paul@hovnanian.com
Have gnu, will travel.

That's only quoting the 4th Amendment. Please cite those events where you claim my rights have been circumvented. Don't give me any of the generalized leftist BS, cite some real facts. I know it's hard for you weenies to manage that, but PLEASE TRY ;-)

...Jim Thompson

   "Sarah Palin is to the left what sunlight is to a vampire."
                          - Cal Thomas

JeffM wrote in news:35310af6-ffcf-4d2f-927a-bab578c9ad80 @k37g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

Heh ;)

[snip]
Reply to
Kris Krieger

I suppose that unless I get copies if the FBI's 'National Security Letters' via an FOIA request, you'll just claim that the news surrounding this issue was manufactured as a left wing conspiracy.

Paul Hovnanian	paul@hovnanian.com
Have gnu, will travel.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Actually, they do listen, spam is way down. Care to take a peek beyond the velvet rope and see? And no, I cannot access Charter's news server remotely.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Williams

C'mon, what's the point? It would be pretty daft for anyone to assume that electronically transmitted data is 100% safe, wouldn't it? And that has nothing to do with where one lives, as has been evidenced by breaches in Europe that were leaked.

As far as I am concerned life in the US is pretty darn good. Yeah, we may complain about the housing bubble, this, that and the other thing. But we have food on the table and we do not have to look over our shoulders before chatting with neighbors. That's different in many, many other countries. So let's keep things in perspective.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Of COURSE you have no complaints - You're one of them.

Do you own a handgun? Do you expect to use it for household protection?

If you did, (say some zonked-out liberal hippie freak illegal immigrant decides that hocking your stuff for drugs would be a good idea) would the cops haul you away and charge _you_ with a crime?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

Not in many states.

Well, if you want to.

My wife has a red coat, can I toss her?

Reply to
PeterD

You arrive at LAX with your notebook computer. One can easily equate the information stored on that notebook computer as being one's 'papers' as so described above.

Try to stop the government from searching and siezing your notebook if they should so wish to.

Just like at the auction: going, going, gone.

Reply to
PeterD

Read your airline ticket fine print. You explicitly agree to the searches by TSA, or you don't fly. You don't have a RIGHT to fly.

What does it matter, you can't spell ;-)

...Jim Thompson

   "Sarah Palin is to the left what sunlight is to a vampire."
                          - Cal Thomas

[snip]

The difference is that the EU raised a red flag about it. The collective response of most Americans has been to yawn.

Lets see what happens when you order a restricted part and homeland security wants to know why.

About 20 years ago, I was returning from Vancouver BC with some rather exotic electronic components. When I came through US Customs, I decided that I'd better declare them, due to their value. I got the third degree from a customs official, who knew nothing about electronics, but suspected (correctly) that these were unusual components.

I finally pointed out that I was _entering_ the US with them, not smuggling them out and that there was no restriction on my doing so. Today, I don't think I'd even try that.

Deja fubar: The feeling that you\'ve made the same mistake before.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Worse yet, customs/homeland security has no expertise in analyzing the sorts of things Thompson is likely to have on his laptop. Stuff like proprietary designs, proposals, bids, etc.

They forward a copy of this stuff to various experts in the field. Maybe Jim's competition.

It\'s a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word.
                -- Andrew Jackson
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.