Power Supply Engineer - National Instruments - Austin, Texas

Power Supply Engineer Job ID #: 2185 Location: Austin, TX Organization: Instrument Control Group Functional Area: Engineering Experience Required: 1-4 Years Position Type: Full-Time Regular Education Required: Bachelors Degree Candidate Type: Experienced

Position Overview and Responsibilities

National Instruments, a world leader in computer-based measurement and auto mation, is revolutionizing the way engineers and scientists use PCs to moni tor and understand the world around us. We're building the future at Nation al Instruments, and we want you on our team!

As a Staff Power Supply Engineer at National Instruments, you will design p ower supplies, distribution networks, protection, and other related circuit ry for a variety of industrial embedded processing systems. Design responsi bilities include: wide input voltage ranges, high current converters, input selection circuits, boost regulators, isolation, ultra efficient designs, EMC, etc. A variety of system architectures will be supported and each will have different demands and design goals. Position Requirements

Please note: National Instruments does NOT petition for H-1B or other work visa for this position.

? 1-4 years of practical analog design experience with a strong understan ding of power supply development, testing, and mathematical validation of a ll specifications ? Implement and test designs using simulation and mathematics tools ? Have carried successful products through the entire design, manufacturi ng, and sustaining cycles ? BS/MS in electrical engineering or computer engineering; overall GPA 3.

2 min. ? Strong knowledge of and experience in: signal integrity, layout, and gr ounding principles ? Passion for learning about and working with analog, digital, & other co mputer technologies ? Strong work ethic and drive to succeed ? Demonstrated ability to: apply diagnostic insight to identify technical problems, propose viable options, and apply technical solutions; quickly l earn applicable technology, systems, and products; take initiative, be a se lf-starter, and work independently; work effectively in a team development environment; persistently drive tasks and projects to successful completion ; take ownership of goals and schedules; manage time well; enjoy problem so lving; grasp and engage in fast-paced technical conversations ? English Language Competency and effective communication skills - Can c learly and concisely communicate in English, so that persons you work with, with a wide range of disciplines, can understand you clearly, particularly in technical conversations About NI

Employ Your Imagination at National Instruments

National Instruments

a technology pioneer and industry leader in virtual instrumentation for 36 years, delivers LabVIEW graphical softwa re and open, modular instrumentation hardware for design, simulation, contr ol, test, and manufacturing. Engineers and scientists in hundreds of indust ries use flexible, high-performance NI products to create reliable user-def ined systems throughout the product design cycle to reduce time to market a nd lower development costs.

Headquartered in Austin, Texas, NI has more than 6,200 employees worldwide and direct operations in more than 50 countries. For the past 13 consecutiv e years, FORTUNE magazine has named NI as one of the "100 Best Companies to Work For" in America. Glassdoor.com also recently named NI as one of Ameri ca's "Best Places to Work," and BusinessWeek included NI in its "Best Place s to Launch A Career" list.

National Instruments is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We offer an excellen t work environment, and a competitive and well-rounded compensation and ben efits package, including an on-site medical clinic; medical, dental, and v ision insurance; 401(K) with NI match; profit sharing; restricted stock pla n; employee discounted stock purchase plan; on-site fitness center and well ness program; and much more.

Interested and qualified individuals should forward their resume and contac t:

Charles Black National Instruments

512.683.6787 snipped-for-privacy@NI.com
Reply to
Charles Black
***** SPAM ***** SPAM ***** SPAM ***** SPAM ***** SPAM ***** SPAM

***** SPAM ***** SPAM ***** SPAM ***** SPAM ***** SPAM ***** SPAM

automation, is revolutionizing the way engineers and scientists use PCs to monitor and understand the world around us. We're building the future at National Instruments, and we want you on our team!

supplies, distribution networks, protection, and other related circuitry for a variety of industrial embedded processing systems. Design responsibilities include: wide input voltage ranges, high current converters, input selection circuits, boost regulators, isolation, ultra efficient designs, EMC, etc. A variety of system architectures will be supported and each will have different demands and design goals.

for this position.

of power supply development, testing, and mathematical validation of all specifications

and sustaining cycles

grounding principles

technologies

[...]

Hey, I give them credit for not petitioning for H1-B. Maybe they really are "national." And at least it is a world leader in computer-based measurement. So many companies put total BS in their adverts. I do ding them for using revolutionizing. Pa-lese.

Speaking of "made in the USA", I laughed my ass off how Donald Trump got skunked on Letterman. Trump praises his cheap ass clothing line, then Letterman says "Hey made in China", right after Trump praised Willard for his get tough on China policy.

Reply to
miso

Nobody can mention a company without the obligatory "a recognized leader in the field of..." phrase. My company could be "a recognized leader in the field of phrases."

I wonder why NI needs a power supply designer. They are more and more a hardware company.

Trump is "a recognized leader in the field of jerkdom", but that seems to make money, too. We live in the American Idol generation.

Lots of companies are looking for guys who can design switch-mode converters including the real tough ones. Right now I am up to my ears in such designs, I guess there aren't many new EEs entering that field. Lots of headhunter calls lately, some pretty desperate. One company was looking for eight (!) analog guys. What baffles me is that many aren't receptive to consulting relationships where I or someone else trains their younger folks and takes over the more nasty design parts, until their guys are ready to move into the left seat. I guess that's because the incentive model for headhunters is wrong for this day and age, they only get paid for filling positions, for whatever reason.

Yo, John, we weren't much different :-)

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Ah but my point is NI actually is the leader. So for once, the buzz phrase isn't the buzz phrase. But you are right that everyone praises themselves in their ads.

The crappiest big name analog chip company has got to be Micrel. Here is how they describe themselves:

"Founded in 1978, Micrel is a leading global manufacturer of IC solutions."

They turned $4.7 million net income last quarter. Mind you, this is a company over 30 years old.

Reply to
miso

What we need to do, you and I (or maybe IEEE-USA, if they actually wanted to be useful) is to write an authoritative-sounding article for Fortune magazine touting the benefits of just exactly that sort of relationship. It would be best if we could actually find one or two people who've managed to do it, to establish credibility.

The the CEO will read the abstract to the article between naps in 1st class, and order HR to make it so. Then you (or I) will get a contract.

I'm getting more than a little jaded by Corporate Wisdom: on the one hand you read news reports with corporations whining about not being able to find skilled people, while at the same time you hear skilled people complaining about not being able to get jobs that they know they'd be good for -- all with a leavening from the occasional manager friend, complaining that when they go out _on their own_ and find good people, HR blocks the hiring process.

It's a crazy world out there. There's got to be a way to make money off the situation, but it's still crazy.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Wescott

he does seem like as a really annoying jerk, can only imagine the reason he has made money is that those he do business is just as big jerks since they don't run away screaming

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

AMD locally just laid off fifty (50) analog guys last week. AFAIUI, they got off lightly compared to other divisions.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

What? They have *always* been a hardware company. It was only after they decided to start supporting the integration of their boards with other parts of systems that they became involved in the software (other than drivers of course). Their name is National Instruments, not National Software.

Can't argue with you there. He does make a lot of money. No one ever said you had to be a nice guy to get rich.

Rick

Reply to
rickman

At least they've made it this long. How many others have gone by the wayside including some who have created some impressive stuff while they were around?

Rick

Reply to
rickman

I don't think that could happen in IEEE-USA, it would have to be you or me. But doubtful Fortune magazine would even be interested.

I already get them. Right now it's a bit much. But HR is almost never involved in this, it's strictly a business decision.

What floors me from time to time: There are companies who are seemingly unable to handle a 1099. Then, consulting doesn't happen, problems don't get fixed, things eventually hit the fan, market opportunities are missed.

To me that's a case of management weakness. When I was CTO and later GM I would have slammed my fist on the table, in the CEO's office. People knew and nobody would have blocked us. If a hiring manager is not in control of the hiring process he or she will have major problems, and soon.

At my last PoE we had a really good HR department. They let me write the complete job ads, I'd ask them to proof-read for any legal boo-boos, then I requested that I see all incoming resumes unfiltered except maybe the ones with blatant typos. Interviewing happened as a team effort, not just by me but also by his/her future peers.

So far I can't complain. Mostly people find my web site and then call.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That's nuts, nobody in their right mind would let good analog folks go. Or is the company going downhill a bit?

Anyhow, I should write the headhunter to call their HR. Often HR departments are willing to help their laid-off employees find a new job adn AMD so far struck me as a pretty good company. At least their processors are really great, have one here.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Actually, I was thinking that the role of IEEE-USA would be to get in the door with Fortune, either with their own name or by having some respected university management wonk lend a name to the thing.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Mass layoffs are usually associated with employment assistance of some sort. HR is the place to start.

Martin Riddle

That's a good idea. I'd be willing to write something but it would have to be January, right now I just can't.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Done. I wrote to the recruiter. Who knows, if only one of them finds a new job through that it'll help everyone involved.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Speak for yourself.

I was a geek from the day I was born.

 Click to see the full signature

People don't stick around like they used to. So hiring youngsters, and mentoring them, doesn't pay.

 Click to see the full signature

AMD used to be an analog house, until they got into the x86 biz.

 Click to see the full signature