Power Supply Engineer - National Instruments - Austin, Texas

Our power is off at home, but on at the lab, which is the usual case in really bad weather. Fortunately for us, it was an east wind, so we got a lot of shelter from the ridge behind our house. Also there was hardly any rain to speak of (less than 3 inches total), so we didn't have any water problems either.

A block away, where our road rises up to meet the ridge, there were

80-foot trees snapped right in half.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

There is a surprising number of people who believe in incremental success, design by committee, collected data by which everything has to be supported, and whatnot. That would bore me sick. I am not saying it won't work, it's just that myriad inventions would have never happened that way.

A client's CEO and friend once said it best: Technology takes a major leap forward if you commit yourself to something where, upon receiving the assignment, you first experience a knot in your stomach.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Yeah, it's a rush when you commit yourself to doing something that you're not 100% sure you can do. And that maybe nobody else has ever done.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

and

My biggest motivator is if some important folks say "It cannot be done".

Could be a Chinese proverb: "Man saying it cannot be done shall not hold back man doing it".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

.

Make your firm a partnership, which comes under the headings of corporations, partnerships, etc; with a Federal EIN. Every company has the ability to work with a firm who has an EIN.

PS: if you make your firm a corporation; you have to PAY taxes every year. Partnerships are not taxed, except in the form of local licensing.

Reply to
Robert Macy

usually to get at the customer base, obtain foundry facilities WITH licenses in place, etc.People? rarely.

Reply to
Robert Macy

any

I,

ome

Yeah go ahead rub it in. We did have 70 degree's here a few days ago.

Sandy was a no-show in Buf. NY. A bit of rain and wind, a few thousand without power. We'll be sending help down to the lower part of the state.

George H.

    ...Jim Thompson
   |    mens     |
  |     et      |

ide quoted text -

Reply to
George Herold

and

The redneck version is, "Bubba, hold my beer and watch this!"

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Progress Energy has sent most of their line buckets & crews from Central Florida. They stopped in the Carolinas, overnight. If we get hit with any high winds or other problems, it's doubtful there are enough vehicles & crew left to handle it.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

IANAA, but afaict: as an LLC you can elect to be taxed as a partnership or as an S-corporation. The S-corp approach is nearly the same, tax-wise, except that up to a point you can trade off what's salary vs what's business profit.

That gives you some control over the Social Security crapshoot, because self-employment tax is payable only on the salary part. Of course that reduces your eventual tooth fairy ^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H Social Security payout, and if you go too far, they'll label you an "abusive S-corporation" and crucify you.

So far mine is taxed as a partnership.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

and

Right now I'm saying to a customer (and his customer) "It can't be done".... that way (the final customer way) and he don't want to hear that. Shit will happen...

Another Chinese proverb: "When shit flies, never be in the front row".

--
Thanks,
Fred.

and

It turns out that some things _can't_ be done! And some just shouldn't.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

I've never interviewed with an HR person. All my contacts, even with big companies like HP and McDonald-Douglas, were with the technical managers that I would have worked for. If I had taked those jobs, HR would have gotten involved later, to do the paperwork.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Some things shouldn't be elected, eiter.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

--
No more so than the neverending ads you post about your own digs.
Reply to

and

of

Powerpoint-paperback

pay,

Last words of a redneck: "Hey y'all, watch me now!"

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Yeah, been there as well. The funniest reply from one client (but they always listened to me) was "Isn't there some sort of loophole to get around Kirchhoff's law, like there is with other laws?"

But when it miraculously does work the old American business proverb comes in: "Find the parade and get in front of it".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

If that were true, there would be no rednecks.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

and

,

Do read what I said more carefully. I didn't say that what John sold wasn't good, I merely said that it wasn't as "insanely good" as he has been known to claim.

The kind where claiming to be "insanely good" is insane.

There are degrees of success.If John's products actually were extraordinarily good, he might have become a second Hewlett Packard. I concede that they might be exceptionally good value for money, but targeted into such a narrow market that John would never have been tempted to expand his production capacity enough to make a lot of money or his management structure enough to widen his product range, but I've not seen any evidence of anything exceptional in the circuit fragments he posts here - its mostly sound stuff, but not exactly surprising.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

, and

of

ck

y,

EMI was definitely a big company. EMI Central Research was run on the basis that the research engineers might pull something out of the hat as they had done repeatedly in the past. Godfrey Houndsfield invented the brain scanner there

You could have a lot of fun there.

Cambridge Instruments wasn't anything like as big, but they sold more expensive devices than you do - an electron microscope typically cost about $100,000 with the usual add-ons - and the electron beam microfabricators cost a bit over a million dollars.

The innovative electron beam tester that I worked on for my last three years with the company was going to sell for about a quarter of a million dollars apiece. I proposed the basic idea - with the primary intention of illustrating that the boss's 10psec time resolution demand was impractical, if practicable - which meant that I had more control what we ended up building than anybody else, and I certainly had a lot of fun demonstrating that the approach really was practicable.

It was a more serious environment than John Larkin appears to inhabit, but not all that serious. At one point, the walls of the lab around the prototype machine were decorated with words of the T.S. Eliot's "Hollow Men". A high-lighter had been used to pick out the verse

"Between the idea And the reality Between the motion And the act Falls the Shadow "

We did get it to work eventually, but it did take a while.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to