Power Supply Engineer - National Instruments - Austin, Texas

in

profit

clue

have.

Maybe you aren't anymore? Living in another country for a very long time can dull the senses when it comes to the mother tongue even though one never loses it. Happens with me as well, it's normal.

No, he isn't. It seems to me that pretty much eveyone else understood it.

I have my doubts about that now :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

wrote in

ever

Businesses seldom lock their doors, or turn off their telephones. You can't get through to the President of General Electric, but you can ususally get through to the owner or chief engineer of a small company, the ideal target for someone like you.

You'll never know if you don't try.

Yup. If you're so smart, as you keep telling us, figure out how to make it work. This isn't actually difficult.

A couple of months ago I cold-called a company that makes fiber-pumped lasers, just to show my guys how it might be done. I told them we could make drivers for their butterfly-mount seed lasers. They went wild and wrote us into a proposal for a cool new kind of analytical instrument. We got the first order from them last week. Looks like fun.

It was wild luck that I got a hit on my demo call, but the probabilities aren't all that bad. As I said, pick a non-electronic technology, learn something about it, call or visit a small company that does it, tell them you'd like to design electronics that will enhance their product, offer to do a breadboard cheap or free, to be genuinely helpful. Then do it.

I offered to do a freebie demo driver for that laser company, and they refused. Then I suggested $2000, and they countered with $10,000. So we agreed on $10,000. They want us to show our stuff in their booth at Photonics West in February. Not bad shootin' for a cold call.

Agencies generally suck. We never consider applicants from agencies. You're stuck in the big-business, formal-channel, HR, out-of-your-control-passive model. You're afraid to make yourself responsible. Use your intelligence and get over it.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

and

Hey, the water-cooled part is about the size of an SUV, and that doesn't even count the megawatt CO2 laser.

They used to call these things "steppers" because they would move the wafer, burn a pattern, then move on. Now they call them "scanners" because the exposures are done with both the reticule and the wafer in motion.

That did initially boggle my tiny brain. It's not nanometer-precision positioning, but nanometer-precision motion.

I bet *your* electronics can't blow up the machine. Mine can!

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

in

youngsters, and

sort of

Powerpoint-paperback

pay,

use.

head

judge

It's going into, and being seriously processed by, a $14 FPGA with all its logic clocked at 250 MHz. The ADC data will break at less than +-2 ns skew from clock to data. I was impressed that it worked.

The Brat did the board layout. I think it's beautiful.

I think the Altera input macrocells have tweakable delay lines or something. At any rate, one tells the software what the inputs are supposed to look like, and it makes the timing work. Somehow. I didn't do the FPGA design.

On the board above, the FPGA guy initially used the wrong clock edge. It actually worked but was flakey over temperature, so we flipped it. That gives me a lot of confidence, since we were right on the borderline when the clock was backwards; so we should be near dead-center now.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

wrote in

profit

has

clue

have.

Some of our products are insanely good. We do that on purpose.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

and

Ok, you win :-)

The finest precision I've dealt with when it comes to positioning large machine parts was around a micrometer. The machine is about half the size of an SUV and all semiconductor equipment manufacturers waved off when approached by us. "It cannot be done on this scale", was the general opinion. That motivated us greatly and we did it.

No, but if designed wrong they could cause the machine to become compromised and that can cause an event with fatalities. One that makes the evening news.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

om...

g that

has ever

not

the

ents.

n and

hey

ks to

Perhaps not, but I certainly wouldn't enjoy it.

But you don't tell us about the ones that got away.

You have gloated about it before, and you will probably gloat about it again.

Agreed. But there are exceptions. This one could be one of them. HR people never seem to be able to get useful information from an engineering CV, but some employment agencies have people who can.

And you complain about not being able to hired skilled help when you need it. Personal acquaintance may get you better-quality candidates, but it doesn't give you access to many of them.

Not exactly. I'm hooking up with people who are in the business of finding employers who want to hire people, and and of finding potential employees who want to be hired. Read up on "small world" social networks sometime.

Some people are good at cultivating a wide range of contacts, and it pays to find them.

A bizarre misconception.

That's what I'm doing. Rather than wasting a lot of time on research, I'm going off to talk to guy who has already done a lot of it. When I was made redundant in Cambridge, I did adopt a more active approach to job hunting, but I'd been working in the area for nine years before I'd been made redundant, and had been applying for occasional jobs - more to keep my hand in than in the expectation that I'd get an attractive offer - for the previous five years, so I had a much better idea of what was available.

The first work I got - which kept me paid and occupied for a few months - was with a firm that I'd interviewed with a year earlier. The next job, which kept me busy until my wife dragged me off to the Netherlands, came up when a small firm that I hadn't previously heard of advertised for a lab technician, so I cold-called them. They'd been getting their electronics design done by an academic who'd just got a tenured job in Manchester, so they had a gap that I could fill - rather better than my predecessor, as it turned out.

I'm simply not as tuned in to the job prospects around Sydney now as I was to the job prospects in Cambridge in 1991. It's going to take a while before I've got any kind of realistic idea about what's available, let alone where I might sensibly start cold-calling.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

ote in

ee

t,

So it's a private/business jet aircraft, or possibly a luxury yacht. The joke is in the quality of temperature control required, not the application.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

ote in

sters, and

of

sort of

ead

perback

ied

he pay,

he

sed

use.

head

judge

in

ofit

you

zed

ge

n.

ee

t,

That's not exactly state of the art. When Cambridge Instruments went over to putting their electron microscope columns together by shrink- fitting hot outer segments onto cold inner segments, the dimensions were being machine to tolerance of 0.1 micron.

You start seeing laser-interferometer-based position-monitoring gear on the machines that do that well.

Laser interferometers start complaining about the change in optical path length in air with atmospheric pressure changes when you are trying to do precision positioning over large-ish distances. Electron beam microfabricators didn't have to deal with that problem - the working area was under vacuum.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

> > I bet *your* electronics can't blow up the machine. Mine can!
>
> No, but if designed wrong they could cause the machine to become
> compromised and that can cause an event with fatalities. One that makes
> the evening news.
>
> --
> Regards, Joerg
>
> http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Bill Sloman

oungsters, and

lots of

hat sort of

t, read

t-paperback

u tried

n, the pay,

uff he

n a

gn

'd used

know

to use.

nics to

ely

our head

to judge

be in

profit

are you

alized

k),

the

t's

ng,

huge

fun.

the

hat

ted

ore

ost

hree

ry

re

ly

bit,

My board went flakey when some graduate student unplugged the balanced

200MHz clock lines and plugged them back in again the wrong way around. I'd wanted to use co-ax inserts in a mixed D-type socket, but separate SMB sockets had been easier to source and lay out. At least the problem was easy to diagnose and even easier to fix.
--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

be in

a profit

sold

he has

ity of

est clue

uff? I have.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Most unlikely. It takes many years of non-use to undo your preference for your mother-tongue.

I've always produced and heard more English than Dutch, and I certainly read a great deal more English than Dutch.

My spoken Dutch got a lot better when I was working full-time in Venlo, from 2000 to 2003. My written Dutch didn't improve at all - they wanted me to write in English. Since 2003, my spoken Dutch has gotten worse.

My grasp of English is actually appreciably better than average - my wife qualifies this as "for an engineer" but her standards are exceptionally high.

.

They understood what he meant to say. I'm purporting to understand what he actually said.

Pity about that.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

in

youngsters, and

of

Powerpoint-paperback

pay,

Under optical control it sure was state-of-the-art in the 90's.

So how come all those fancy semiconductor equipment mfgs turned us down and we had to build it ourselves?

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

wrote in

in

profit

has

of

clue

I have.

Can happen easily. I grew up speaking German, I am still totally fluent and practice it every day. But I never really felt very comfortable holding a design review or something like that in German. Even while living there. I can do it but sometimes will have to search for a word or just throw in the English one and assume they'll all understand.

My spoken Dutch is almost gone. Last time it all came back after two beers but I doubt that would work now. Listening and reading somehow never goes away, I can read a Dutch paper without much effort.

Mostly the first is better. Unless you want to play English teacher. Like mine who sometimes scolded me that I shan't use "ain't" or double-negation. "Ok ma'am, I ain't gonna do that never no more" (she almost blew up after that one ...)

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

.

d be in

a profit

n sold

s he has

lity of

iest clue

tuff? I have.

ut

ff

By which you mean better than they need to be. Nothing insane about that - some improvements in performance can be had very cheaply, and it makes sense to implement them while you've got them in mind, rather than delaying until the competition has caught up, and you've got to recall what you intended to do, and put through a change note to do it.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

wrote in

ngsters, and

ts of

t sort of

read

paperback

tried

the pay,

f he

used

ow

o use.

cs to

r head

o judge

e in

profit

re you

lized

),

he

's

ng,

huge

fun.

the

hat

ted

ore

ost

hree

ry

re

ly

bit,

)

dge Instruments went

My guess would be that they would have had to design too much new stuff from scratch, and didn't see much chance of selling the larger scale stuff to other customers.

One-off's can tie up a lot of your design staff for quite a while. Their salaries are being paid, but most firms want to retain the capacity to take on more than one job at a time.

Cambridge Instruments dumped it's shaped beam electron beam microfabricator project a the point where it became obvious that it was going to soak up all of the design effort for the following 18 months, and marketing rebelled at the prospect of not having a new product to sell for a year or so.

It cost the company pretty much exactly as much to buy itself out of its contract commitments as it would have done to have finish the project, but that's what they chose to do.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

in

youngsters, and

sort of

Powerpoint-paperback

pay,

use.

head

judge

profit

you

Nah. We dropped a major wad of cash onto the desk and the machine was not something unusual. Essentially a flip-chip bonder. They simply could not do it. Zygo stepped up to the plate, saying that if we did it together they'd be in.

Looks like a rather major blunder in the decision making progress if they had to bow out of contractual obligations. That usually leaves an aftertaste in the marketplace. Can happen but shouldn't, as a former talk show host used to say.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

wrote in

in

profit

sold

has

of

clue

stuff? I have.

Gosh, Bill, you are an authority on *everything*

That's especially impressive in a person who does nothing.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

I think it is very lucky for you that few if any of your customers read these forums. Your posts here are so unprofessional that I find it amazing. I sometimes worry that some of my posts cast me in less than an optimal light, but compared to you I am a piker in the field of making myself look bad.

Why do you and the few others here who constantly bicker continue to do it? It clearly shows some sort of emotional issues.

Rick

Reply to
rickman

He should get a mailbag & change his name to 'Cliff'.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I'd prefer to talk about electronics. A few people here prefer to lurk and whine. Bill, and some of the other whiners, really ought to get off their butts and *do* some electronics. I've suggested some reasonable ways that he might go about it.

I think my posts are professional when I'm discussing electronics, and related topics like technical management, documentation, things like that. You are mostly right that I should ignore them, but I suspect that not many people pay much attention to newsgroups.