Power Supply Engineer - National Instruments - Austin, Texas

Mostly, I don't have Spice models for fast parts. And the strays are complex transmission lines and connectors, not lumped Ls and Cs. Picosecond time-domain EM simulation of complex active circuits is past my pay grade. We do the occasional EM sim, but just for a tiny bit of a product, like a connector transition maybe, or some ugly asymmetric stripline or something. ATLC2 is sorta cool.

We have a lot of products that are unique, and not at all incremental.

How would you do this?

We did do some simulation of the control loops on that one.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Had an application that required small low turns-count transformer winding structure. Cut out one with tin shears in copper foil. Worked.

Mech dept chief repeatedly refuses to send out for tooling quote for rough mech dwg. Reasons - too costly/ waste of time / not wave solderable.

Eng mgr gives ok to send out for quote directly. Turns out to be cheaper than bobbin structure it replaces. Turns out to wave solder like a charm. Finally tooled up for 3+ variants, used in many other projects that I had nothing to do with.

Never got a sensible mech package, or sensible word (if any) out of Mech Dept chief for any project I was involved in, from that day on. He's still there; I'm not.

What's the lesson here?

RL

Reply to
legg
[...]

Ha ha - I know how I would have done it in the 80's. Dual-gang motorized pots. My PPOE sold come controllers using them. 10 turn precision wirewound pots with these 3 digit mechanical dials on the front. They turned themselves up or down as commanded, quite funny to watch. Especially if you don't realise they are motorized :)

--

John Devereux
Reply to

As mainly a cyclist and pedestrian, It soesn't make sense to shave in the winter. At the same time, it can be stupid not to shave in the summer. I generally don't shave between thanksgiving and April Fools' day, unless there are other issues.

Wow. What decade are you living in? The unspoken rules still rule in most 'hiring' circles, if not more so now than ever ( IF you ever make it past the 'automated character evaluation' interface of the hiring process).

RL

Reply to
legg

Hard to surface mount.

There was a DVM once, Digitec or something, that had a 10-turn pot and a motor inside and a digital clock looking mechanical display. When you changed the voltage, it would spin like crazy and stop at, or sort of hover around, the new value. It was a classic self-balancing null potentiometer thing. Really cool.

Previous to that, DVMs were big rackmount things with telephone-type stepping relays in a Kelvin-Varley setup. Expensive and noisy.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Wow, a digital analogue computer. Kewl. Your next assignment is an analogue digital computer. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

rs

.

That company is going to go bust. Read C. Northcote Parkinson on "injellitis".

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I haven't shaved since I moved to Vermont ('93). Beards are quite common, year around, there. Since I've moved South, I still don't see a good reason. What's the problem with beards in the summer?

Nonsense. Do any design engineers wear suits and ties today? I se

*far* more in grungy T-shirts, shorts, and sandals (though I wear Oxford shirts, black slacks, and black sneakers ;-).
Reply to
krw

A bit old fashioned, even then. When I got stuck with the same problem in 1975, I used a pair of CD4040's to make a 10-bit PW modulated waveform, and low-pass filtered the hell out of the output. A couple of NiCd cells froze the phase relationship between the two counters when the power was off.

Motorised pots are cute, but long past their sell-by date. In fact I was replacing a motorised LVRT - which didn't suffer from brush wear.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

ssues.

expect

our

did was

he

o that

ssemble

he

test

ated.

rchived

er and

eurs

ice and

y well.

an't be

rs

and

was

hat Jim

script

(your

t to

en

ure

ased

uilt

cookie

ign

sell.

he

intent

, PCB

do.

at are

l your

copy

ded

sh of

ess

here's

.

you would do

ving

This is not good advice. Nobody attaches much value to anything they get for nothing. If you take the attitude that your contribution is worthless, the people taking advantage of that contribution are likely to share that attitude.

I'd prefer to negotiate a price up front, perhaps with performance penalties and incentives, but you can't have one without the other.

New employees don't have much of a track record, and correspondingly little leverage when bargaining. Experienced engineers have rather more to offer.

Of course you have to find somebody interested enough to want to negotiate in the first place, and I've yet to get even that far.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

issues.

expect

was

that

assemble

related.

archived

and

and

well.

be

Jim

script

(your

cookie

sell.

intent

PCB

are

your

of

there's

would do

Well, excuse me. Clearly you know more about finding customers and employers than I do.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Yes probably a bit old fashioned, designed 10 years before that I expect. I think it was a retrofit to an existing controller, so it needed to replace an existing manual control with that same (but unmotorised) dial-pot on the front panel.

It did have some advantages. The motor could be switched off and the same control used manually, it was easy for the machine operators to understand what what was going on. Well, once they stopped blaming the night shift for changing the setting!

--

John Devereux
Reply to

--
I quit in 1968.

Reply to
John Fields

--- You're right, I'm not ;), but even if I were, it wouldn't be any of your business, and I'd have to deny it in order to keep loose lips from sinking ships.

But, just for your engineering enjoyment, here's a little freebie I did a week or so ago for a mate across the pond:

news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com

Need a BOM?, ECNs?, manual?, Gerbers? mechanical drawings?, assembly instructions?, circuit description? ;)

-- JF

Reply to
John Fields

How many different employers have you had since you graduated? I may well have found more of them than you have.

Finding customers as an established business is a rather different task from finding customers for a start up.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Six, plus two before I graduated.

You'll never know if you don't try. As a consultant, with your presumed skills, I'd think it would be fairly easy to get a goodly amount of interesting work. It's your attitude that prevents that.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

This was more than a decade ago. The company and Mech mgr are both doing just fine. The Eng mgr cleared out shortly after I did, to academia.

I never had the sheepskins.......which may have had something to do with it, but including this info would have made the tale and any attached lesson much too obvious. If you're not a wolf, why would you need 'em?

RL

Reply to
legg

:

cs

.

Eleven, plus two before I graduated.

Being realistic is inhibiting. I've had to cope with that all my life.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I just love those skyhook power sources. Especially when they're monitoring and indicating mains power failures.

RL

Reply to
legg

--

My "client" understood Vcc is supplied by a 12V battery; part of an
alarm panel.

The rest of the world?

Well, it's certainly OK to ask... ;)
Reply to