Please help me reduce heavy ripple and HF harmonics at 25-60 amps 24 volts

Hi everyone,

Recently I acquired a broken down SOLA 1500 sinewave UPS which I was able to repair. Since I already have a UPS for my PC I decided to use it solely as an inverter. I replaced the internal 24v battery pack with 2 external 65AH deep cycle marine batteries connected to the unit with 2 80cm 300A high grade welding cables to minimise losses. Problem is; when the unit is running under a light load, it immediately sounds the "low battery" alarm. It can run for hours like this, but the thing that makes me uncomfortable is when looking at the battery voltage on my CRO, I can see very pronounced "dips" approx every 9mS; alternating between 2 distinct "dips" of 4-5 volts and 2 volts with apparent high frequency harmonics. Either my batteries are damaged, they were bought as new factory seconds with cosmetic defects, or these types of batteries simply cannot supply the heavy surges of power needed, fast enough. Under load, they steadily supply around 24.6 volts which is probably why the UPS is complaining. However, I do not like these dips in voltage since I can hear the unit struggle when a large monitor is switched on, which does not happen with the internal batteries. I doubt they are defective though, so I'd like to build a capacitor and choke filter close to the UPS unit to "support" the batteries. An LC filter would help, I suspect, however I have never built one even remotely as powerful as this unit needs. Could anyone please point me to a schematic or describe a simple filter that would be cost-effective? How many turns of what gauge wire would I need and would I be able to salvage the inductors found in wrecked PC power supplies? If you read through all this; thank you. I'd be grateful for your help and post an update with any success or failure stories.

Reply to
mrdl

It should suffice to use a few large capacitors. Start with perhaps 10 x

2200uF 35V in parallel, at the inveter, and finish it off with one of those 1F caps across each battery (or both, if you can find a 25-35V unit). Maybe 1F is a bit much, even 100,000uF will help. Heck, even just the smaller caps will help, since it sounds like the inverter, remarkably, has little or no filtering inside it to begin with!

Tim

Tim Williams

Reply to
mrdl

snipped-for-privacy@cooltoad.com a écrit :

So why don't you just keep the internal SLA as a bypass?

--
Thanks,
Fred.

So why don't you just keep the internal SLA as a bypass?

Hi Fred, What do you mean by "bypass"? I have replaced these batteries since they only give me 20-30 minutes run-time. When the power fails, the UPS connected to my PC will keep it running until I use the 2nd UPS with the large external batteries to power the UPS protecting my PC. This way I could keep my PC running for up to 12 hours without interruption.

Is there any other way to solve my problem, besides using very large caps?

Cheers, Ben

Fred Bartoli wrote:

0 x

those

Maybe

er

tle or

Reply to
mrdl

10 x

f those

. Maybe

ller

ittle or

He means leave the internal batteries in place and connect the external batteies in parrallel across the internal batteries...

The internal batteries supply the ripple current and the external batteries suply the average current.

I have done this and it works OK as long as you keep the batteries charged/discharged together.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

nt

ps 10 x

of those

t). Maybe

maller

little or

Reply to
mrdl

cables seem kind of long.

you probably don't need the inductor just some big capacitors

--

Bye.
   Jasen

Try reducing the loop area of your cables. If they are twisted/wrapped around each other, their inductance will be reduced. Multiple smaller cable pairs, similarly twisted, might work better as a more easily manipulated substitute.

Local capacitive decoupling at the load is the simplest first step. Fill up the area where the batteries used to be with low esr parts. Low impedance, not high capacitance is the goal.

RL

Reply to
legg

It may be that your big batteries are not fully charged. The charger in the UPS was capable of charging 7 AH batteries, but may not be able to give the 65 AH batteries a full charge.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Reply to