Volts Amps Watts Help I'm Dumb

If I buy a generator that produces 1000 watts @120 volts which makes

8.3 amps, but use the 12 volt outlet plug how many watts and amps does it make? I'm talking about this generator
200313480_200313480

It has 120v and 12 v outputs and states it makes 1000 watts at 120 volts; how many watts and/or amps at 12 volts (for charging a deep cycle marine battery)?

Reply to
BOnepaIn

There is not way to tell.

This manufacturer's data sheet doesn't mention the 12 volt output at all.

John Popelish

More info, but nothing on the 12 volt output:

John Popelish

Correction.

On page 21, the drawing shows a DC rectifier, DC receptacle and DC circuit breaker. But it looks pretty small. Perhaps tapping off the excitation circuit. I would guess a few amps max.

Reply to
John Popelish

The 12V output is presumably DC ?

It's anyone's guess. What does the manual say ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

It's most unlikely to be more than 83A

12V won't be enough.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen

generator

I've a generator that looks identical but is (UK) rated at 750Watts. The 12V out is marked at 8.3Amps.

Reply to
john

generator

Odd the manufacturer didn't label the 12 volt output as AC or DC. I'd hate to hook it to a battery that needs recharging without knowing the answer.

Reply to
Lord Garth

The chances are 99.999999999% in favor of it being DC - I've never even _heard_ of an AC generator with AC on the auxiliary 12V connector.

If it wasn't suitable for battery charging as it is, they probably wouldn't have said that so in the ad.

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

In the exploded view, they list DC receptacle, DC rectifier and DC circuit breaker. I would like to see the current rating on that circuit breaker. They must not be too proud of the DC output, because they don't advertise either a voltage or current spec for it. I'm betting it is a very crude 12 volt output good for a few amperes (less than 10), continuously.

Reply to
John Popelish

As a possible comparison, my Honda EU2000i, with the 120 VAC output rated at 1600 VA, provides a DC output rated at 8 A max, for charging

12 volt batteries. (the actual voltage of the DC output is not specified.) It is much more efficient to use a 120VAC battery charger than to use the DC output to charge a battery.
--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

does

generator

The

hate

answer.

I'd like to see what charger circuit they use for the 12 volt portion of the generator.

Reply to
Lord Garth

Only the most crude of chargers, I'm sure.

Reply to
Lord Garth

Exactly as I feel.

Reply to