Home Theater Systems

Now I am preparing maunal for HTS system DVD Player and FM receiver. I understand that the surround sound systems depends mainly on the use of different speaker modules for different frequency ranges transmitting sound in different directions. And the delay time is set so as to have the best quality of sound at home as if it were in a Theatre. Is it correct? Somebody said that there might need sensors to adjust the sound of the speakers so as to give the correct volume, direction and quality of sound and I am getting confused! Until now the sound sensors are not used in HTS sytems according to my knowledge. What are your opinions?

Reply to
Myauk

I have an Onkyo home theater receiver that has a microphone input. It's for setting up the speaker output level, frequency cutoff, phasing, and delay. You just plug the microphone in and take a series of readings from three different listening positions. The receiver automatically sets it all up, takes only about ten minutes to go thru the procedure. Seems to work fine, it sounds great.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

The main use of delay, which should normally be applied equally to all speakers is to compensate for the processing delays in the video monitor, so that speech is in sync with lip movements. A normal CRT TV has basically zero frames pocessing delay, but a LCD/ flat panel may need up to 8 frames sound delay.

The idea of having a sensor is probably self defeating and will end up causing more problems than it cures, although some professional delay systems, for large auditoriums, for example, do have air temperature compensation, as the speed of sound changes with temperature

I suggest that you post this question on rec.audio.pro and look for replies from people like Scott Dorsey.

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

It is used as a setup tool and may well not be part of the final installed system. The other posters delineated the usage for setup quite well.

--
 JosephKK
 Click to see the full signature