Pickle with DigiKey and UPS

Yesterday I spoke to a very nice lady yesterday at UPS who rescheduled another delivery and said it will be with me today.

Yep, website tracking says they receive request and that the parcel was "In Transit" yesterday afternoon. Yippee

Guess what!! Today, no delivery. Website now says "Exception".

Phoned UPS-UK, they say that the local "Centre" will call me within the hour.

Guess what!! No phone call.

Phoned UPS-UK again, they said the "Centre" tried calling me and were unable to contact me or leave a message. They confirmed the number I gave as being correct which is funny as my mobile has an answerphone and has been switched on. Seemingly despite online tracking info he was suggesting the parcel was never picked up from the "shop" but I would still receive it this evening.

Naturally I'm not confident.

I cannot recommend UPS! No other carrier has ever given me this magnitude of run-around and grief.

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

Ah, then you've yet to experience DHL.

--sp

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I haven't read the full thread yet, but I know UPS can be a PITA. The last package they attempted to deliver to me was not left on the carport as they usually do and it was not held at the office for five days like they usually do. In the office they told me both of these were at the request of the shipper and the shipper says this is not so. In the end I never got my package and ended up canceling the order rather than have it reshipped.

The times UPS has delivered to the house when I was at home they don't even ring the bell, they drop the package on the stoop and literally run off. I hardly ever make it to the door before they drive away.

UPS leaves the details of the delivery to the discretion of the driver which seems to work when it works and doesn't work when it doesn't work.

--

Rick
Reply to

On 4/14/2014 7:19 PM, Maynard A. Philbrook Jr. wrote: ...snip...

I know the OP is in the UK, but here in the states a very underrated delivery service is Priority mail with the USPS. Digikey is in a rather remote corner of Minnesota which makes them a 4 day delivery to me when shipped by ground. But the USPS consistently delivers in 2 days and is only $5 for a package regardless of weight. They have a flat rate box which holds a reasonable amount of electronic parts. I won't use UPS anymore if I have any other choice.

--

Rick
Reply to

I don't think you are going to get around the photo-id thing. I still don't get why you don't have a driver license with you. That is pretty mandatory here in the US for most anything. I can't imagine being able to go anywhere without it. I obviously must have it to drive and it is required for flying as well. So how can you be working remotely without it? I guess trains are a lot more practical in the UK, but I think you need photo ID to board a train here as well.... not sure as I haven't been on a train in years.

--

Rick
Reply to

+1 for the USPS priority option! I've found that it usually manages to hit all three legs of the triangle: good, cheap, and fast.

However, I've been okay with UPS as well. I did sign up for a free "myUPS" account some years ago and with that I get an automated email whenever there's an inbound package. That gives me an opportunity to reschedule or re-route the delivery. No complaints. The last delivery guy even managed to get a box onto the screened-in front porch without letting the cats get out into the yard. That ain't easy... ;-)

Reply to
Rich Webb

Even better if you're not in a hurry and your order is small is 1st-class mail. Delivery is about as fast as UPS ground, and the prices is about

1/3.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

You don't need photo ID in the UK to do anything apart from leave the country. Modern UK drivers licenses do have a photo on them but not everyone has one and there is no compulsion to carry it with you - only to produce it at a police station within 7 days if challenged to do so.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

...snip...

You mean you don't need to carry the license with you when you drive in the UK??? Wow, that largely makes it a pointless document. Wow.

--

Rick
Reply to

Mmm.. that's civilised.

--sp

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Yes, I have been using the USPS as much as possible in the last couple of years. At least with them If they don't want to leave the package or it's too large to bring to your house, they leave a slip and I go pick it up.. Of course, I still need to show them ID :)

Jmaie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

Surely, they cannot be worse!!

I made another phone call to see if I might be given a different fob-off like story, and yes the story was entirely different again.

They said it was still at the shop and for business to business deliveries there will be only one attempt. So different again, despite the UPS website saying 3 and not differentiating between business, private or residential. However this person did say that an "official" bill with my name and address to match the consignment would be sufficient to collect the parcel from the shop. Naturally I said I would be able to print something out that should convince the shop. Without any drawing of breath she said "yes".

So armed with a bill with my name and the address I finally extracted the parcel from the shop. Yippee!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since then I got an email from DigiKey to say the parcel had been "delivered". I note the tracking info has now changed from "Exception" to "Delivered"!

Are you really, really sure DHL are worse? How can they?

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

Despite all the things I have said, I too find it impressive how UPS can get a parcel from DigiKey to just a mile away from me in 36 hours or so.

What I am very unimpressed with is it then takes a further 6 or 7 days for me to get my hands on it!

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

You have to produce the licence within a short timescale if you don't have it on you. Furthermore it is trivial for the police to check if you have a licence. Generally, a driving licence is only needed if you ever need to hire a vehicle and use their insurance.

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

You can expect anything. Whether your expectations are real or not is a whole different kettle.

Doesn't change facts. I always have stuff (that nominally requires a signature) left when no one is home. It's rare that I have to chase them down.

That may be the way it's supposed to work but...

Reply to
krw

What makes you think there is in the US? Well, both do, really; passports.

True in the US (alien IDs), too, though it's not enforced anymore.

It's possible anywhere. It's often done in the US, too.

No NHS ID?

Reply to
krw

Yes, worse, on both the last two occasions I was required to use them.

I won't bore the newsgroup with the travails, nor will I revisit them without a cold beer in hand, but.. worse.. it didn't help that they were charged with doing customs clearance and collecting the small fees involved so the opportunities for them to screw up were infinitely greater. They got the stuff across the Pacific reasonably fast then it was weeks to get one, and months to resolve the other (unsatisfactorily).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Watch out for fake UPS delivery notices. The creeps are sending them out to lure you to their websites.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The only time you need to produce one physically is if challenged by a police officer and they can't find it online or you want to hire a car.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

It is just a random number and can be looked up from Nation Insurance number or Name and Date of Birth. She has one but I have no idea what it is and nor does she. We do get issued with NHS cards but no-one knows where theirs is or what numbers are on them & no photo on it.

NHS cards are so insignificant and irrelevant that the banks would not accept one as proof of ID (either on list A or list B).

We take slightly better care of the EU wide medical cards which allow you to access free medical services or use hospitals within the EU when on holiday (although it is wise to also have travel insurance).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown