Pickle with DigiKey and UPS

--- I've had the same problem in reverse, in that we were the wrong shop that UPS delivered to.

A call to UPS cleared up the problem in that they came and picked up the package and - ostensibly - delivered it to the correct recipients.

Since UPS is - I think - contractually bound to deliver packages to the addresses specified by the senders, UPS is responsible for delivery errors and, since they know where the package is and where it should be, the onus is on them to retrieve it and get it to you.

In the short term, if you need the parts quickly, bite the bullet and schlep your photo ID down to the shop where your parts are, then follow up with a nice letter to DigiKey outlining your problems with UPS.

John Fields

Reply to
John Fields

Not at hand at the moment - no.

Spot on.

It always amuses me how short-sighted politicians are when it comes to criminals circumnavigating laws.

I thought it was mainly defeated because of cost, and cards would be optional, well initially of course!

The last time we had a snow drift, well was 20 years ago, if you call 1 foot of snow a drift!

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

Most carriers are sensitive and carry out the shippers instructions.

In this case it seems UPS's tail is wagging the dog and DigiKey just cite UPS's rules.

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

On Tue, 15 Apr 2014 11:53:02 +0100, Mike Perkins wrote: . . .

--
Not short-sighted at all, since what they're doing is laying the
groundwork to secure their own futures.

Carry the photo id with you at all times. Dunno where you live, but here in the land that used to be free, it's necessary for many transactions.

Reply to
mike

He is in the UK and thanks to the Magna Carta there is no need to carry government issued photo ID around with you here. New drivers licenses and passports have a photo but there is no compulsion to carry either.

Proof of ID here relies on a haphazard list of random documents including utility bills and existing bank cards. It is barking mad.

Previous government tried to issue ID cards but cocked it up big time!

Unless he can find his passport the UPS parcel is stuck in the shop.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

I would think they'd be motivated by possibly getting stuck with shipping charges if it gets returned to them and you dispute the CC bill as never having been delivered, but maybe they've colluded with UPS to deal with that.

Doesn't the NHS require photo ID? We used to have photo-less health cards, but between illegal immigrants and uninsured from south of the border, it became necessary.

--sp

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

No, not in my experience. No ID at all AFAIK, although I have not had to register with a new doctor (always been with the same practice since birth). I have never been asked or had to show any kind of ID whatsoever when turning up at doctors or hospital or ER (with a poorly toddler say). It never occurred to me to take any either.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

We moved states a year or two ago, so had to get new DLs. Mine was no big deal because I had the license from the other state, (non-Kenyan) birth certificate, and my SS card. My wife had a bit of trouble because all that wasn't good enough. Since she had changed names, she also needed an original marriage license. She gave them the one the Minister signed. Nope, not good enough. She needed the one from the state. Fortunately, she found it or it would have been an 800mi trip to get a copy. Thank you federal government.

Reply to
krw

Those vendors don't get it.

Two sides, to be sure.

Reply to
krw

If a person expects to exist in any environment, they need to understand and comply with whatever requirements are imposed by the system. Failure to carry documentation required by the government or a business or anybody means that you don't get the job done. That's your problem, not the problem of UPS. It's really no different from making a phone call. If you don't have the number with you, you don't get to make the call. And it's nobody's fault but your own. Bitching about it won't help.

Reply to
mike

That will only piss them of, and i absolutely guarantee that the package will disappear off the face of the earth and it will be impossible to get UPS to pay their so-called insurance.

Reply to
Robert Baer

UPS only cares about its profits,not customers or results. I agree that gov ID business is BS, but the easiest way is get a drivers ID (do not need a car) and be done with it. If you do not want to be tagged for jury duty due to that ID,thenget a passport. Or go down to where the package s, get face-to-face with manager and out-stare him.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Have it sent back. Get the refund. Reorder it and have it sent somewhere else.

Or maybe you can choose the shipping option and make it regular post. Also, in the US you can tell them to just leave it at the door. That might not be advisable, but it might work.

Thing is, how much is it worth ? If you really would prefer it require a signature, just send it to someone you can trust who is home all the time.

Sometimes you just have to start all over.

Reply to
jurb6006

It is *Digikeys* problem. Failing that, in the UK, it is the credit card companies problem.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Not really. UPS has strict identification requirements for collection of the parcel. The recipient has the choice of either satisfying their overly strict requirements or not collecting his package.

Plenty countries require photoID when collecting potentially valuable parcels. The OP's problem is his lack of any convenient photoID and the UKs totally haphazard list A/list B approach to "proving" your identity.

If you don't have a UK passport or modern UK drivers licence you are pretty well stuck if asked to produce "government photoID".

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

I expect they do.

Otherwise you get claims for goods not delivered, stolen off the doorstep or ruined by being left out in the elements.

It comes in very handy when the courier has delivered your goods to the wrong address entirely and checking the signature shows indeed that "someone" has signed for it, but that someone is *NOT* you.

That said most of my regular carriers know where they can hide stuff if I am not in and these modern digital signature slates make it almost impossible to do much more of a signature than "his mark" X.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

The point is that the system in the UK is different to in the US - we don't have any form of national government issued photo ID card.

I am not defending the status quo. I think it is barking mad. I have lived in Japan and Belgium both of which do have national identity cards and the Japanese Alien one even includes a fingerprint.

Whilst I agree. The point I am making is that it is perfectly possible to live in the UK and have *NO* government issued photoID whatsoever.

My mother has no valid UK passport and has never driven a car in her life. The closest to "government photoID" she has is a local council issued Bus Pass and Blue Disabled Parking badge with her photo on it.

There is a slight difference in that to get a UK passport or drivers licence you will have to expend a fair chunk of money and time.

Very few people carry either document around with them routinely.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

There are other ways than a national ID. Ontario requires photo ID for a Drivers licence, and you have to have it with you when driving, so most people have photo ID with them at all times.

If you don't have a Drivers license the same Provincial authority can issue a photo ID card, since its so often requested, if not required.

If you qualify for health insurance, you will probably have an OHIP card with a photo.

If you have neither, you're probably an immigrant

(federal)

Or maybe you have Indian status

(federal)

Or a firearmslicense

(federal)

Most people keep their passports stashed safely away at home.

Usually being in possession of the drop-off slip is enough for picking parcels up, but they can ask for photo ID when *shipping* things at the counter of FedEx etc.

The obvious national ID would be a Social Insurance card, but it's legally prohibited from being used as such except for financial stuff, and they don't carry a photo (or they'd have to be renewed regularly).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I actually have both, but not currently with me as working remotely.

If UPS are so worried about identity you would have thought their machines or their parcel shops would be taking a photo of the recipient, far easier than deciphering an electronic signature or "sight" of photo-ID.

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd