Pickle with DigiKey and UPS

I ordered components from DigiKey a short while ago.

Unfortunately no one was in when UPS delivered.

The UPS UK website says that 3 delivery attempts will be made.

However the consignment has gone to a "shop" and is now stuck there.

UPS require "government photo-ID" for me me to retrieve the consignment from the shop and I currently don't have any at hand and UPS won't attempt any more deliveries.

Yes I can get my photo-ID but it's not at hand at the moment, I can have something sent to me, but this is all very silly and myopic.

Has anyone else been in the same situation and how did they overcome the problem?

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

tough. I have to admit - some parts of the story dont make sense. You say that UPS will try 3X, but they tried once and now package is stuck at their shop. ???

One idea is systematically make phone calls higher and higher in UPS.

Reply to
haiticare2011

Call the "shop" and ask them. The UPS website is always going to say that they want a photo ID, retinal scan, and DNA sample. The person at the shop who is actually going to give you your package (or not) tends to have less strict requirements. You might have to present some kind of non-photo ID, like maybe something with your address on it.

Note to everyone else: older UK driver's licenses don't have photos on them, and they don't expire for a long time, so it's legally possible to go through your day without having a government photo ID with you.

The closest thing I've done is to pick up something at the depot that was addressed to my boss. As I recall, my boss had to write and sign a letter authorizing me to pick it up, and I had to show that letter and my ID (my driver's license, which had a photo) to the depot staff. This was in the US.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

Sorry. The UPS website says 3 times, and I have conflicting reasons from DigiKey and UPS-UK why they only tried once and won't try again.

I have been given another number by DigiKey for UPS here and will try again in the morning.

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

The shop is a corner shop, and they intend stick to UPS rules. TBH I don't blame them.

My Mother didn't have any photo-ID for her later life as she wasn't going to drive, or catch a plane anywhere. In the UK there is no requirement to carry photo-ID yet, although there are rumbling that might happen at some point.

Many thanks.

I have never had any issues with any other carrier, and have often picked things up from local depots. UPS seem to be unique in their requirement.

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

Sure, the best thing to do is have the package sent elsewhere next time.

I have the option to have it sent to my work location, the guy at the docks just signs for everything that comes in. Just put a ATT: xxxxxxx, also if you pick those cheap rates, they may even deliver sooner than normal, over making you wait for the maximum delivery time!

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

UPS can be very problematic in the U.S. as well. If the package is held at their location it can be difficult to pick it up because their hours are very short and they are not open on Saturday or Sunday. I have packages sent by other carriers whenever possible.

That said, all of the delivery services require a photo-ID to pick up a package from their counter.

Reply to
sms

They might, but they would still require photo-ID for the pickup to the successful.

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

Den tirsdag den 15. april 2014 01.19.02 UTC+2 skrev Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.:

here I think companies like ups, fedex etc who mostly deliver to businesses will text or send a postcard to tell when they will arrive and/or if you want it delivered to an alternative address before they attempt to deliver at a home address

I always have things delivered to work, I'm not home when they deliver. In many webshops delivery is cheaper if the delivery address is a company it is less trouble for the delivery company

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

You would think so. In this case no text and a card to say where the parcel can be collected from with no other options. As you say most carriers provide a cards to re-schedule deliveries on a day of your choice.

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

At least in the US, after the first deliver attempt you can log into the UPS site and change the delivery to "hold for pickup". The directions are on the ticket they leave.

I don't have any problem, though. Everyone just leaves stuff on the front porch or by the garage.

In some places Fedex uses the USPS for delivery, with all the problems (and a few of the advantages) that entails.

Reply to
krw

You can do "hold for pickup" with UPS. Kind of tricky to get the vendor to go for it. You make the shipping address be the UPS customer center. Shipping label looks something like this:

Your Name UPS Customer Center address Hold for pickup: your phone number

I do this for anything fragile since it removes one less step in the transmit, i.e. the guy on the delivery truck.

UPS customer center addresses are online. I don't know if this works in the UK.

Fedex always accepted will call shipments. UPS does it kind of reluctantly.

Reply to
miso

It a shame you aren't in the states, you could vote. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Not here.

Reply to
krw

I once had my Drivers' License stolen, and since the format has changed to

3 full names, the Dept of Mot Veh. wouldn't mail it to me, must go in person and reapply. Oh, need your SSN card, too, Who the heck has that still, Ok, no problem, just go to the govt building and get a reissue, Ok, but when I arrived at the building MUST have photo ID [Drivers' License] in order to gain access to the building! Can't get in to get the SSN card to get my photo ID, talk about a Catch 22!
Reply to
RobertMacy

Could Digikey tell them to release it? Maybe pick up the (Skype) phone and ask.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Some vendors insist on getting a signature.

You can't fart in the US today without ID.

Reply to
miso

Don't you have a passport or modern drivers license to hand?

My drivers license is the dog eared old pink paper sort with no photo at all and has been through the wash a couple of times. My passport if OK but I generally do not have it with me when travelling in the UK.

To some extent a photo ID card in the UK would be helpful. It is insane that you have to turn up with a utility bill (which could be faked in about ten minutes) and birth certificate or similar to "prove" who you are. The latter says explicitly on it "Not suitable as proof of ID".

It adds inslut to injury that the only people inconvenienced by the banks anti money laundering rules are legitimate customers. The bad guys can afford top dollar forged ID to get their accounts opened.

The previous government conflated a national ID card with a dangerously invasive and insecure database which killed it stone dead. The current one is doing something similarly dangerous with health records and an opt out form delivered to every home disguised as a takeaway menu!

And inflexible.

It annoys me when they put it into some remote depot or even better the excuse "we attempted to deliver it but you were out" when the reality was that we were cut off from the outside world by large snowdrifts!

We were most definitely "IN".

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Wierd, never heard of a UPS "shop".

UPS UK are useless t*ssers especially if you are the recipient rather than the sender.

I would deal through Digikey, at least you can talk to them and ultimately it is their responsibility, they will have to resend them if necessary. You paid for the goods and have not received them. You probably paid by credit card so that is another line of defence.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

You would think so, but I absolutely would not do that, in the UK they will invoice *whoever* is at that address for all the customs duty. Does not matter that all the invoices are addressed to you, they look up the destination and invoice *them*. Then persue *them* for payment, no way to reverse it. Caused a lot of trouble for us when we drop-shipped to a contract assembler!

--

John Devereux
Reply to