Digikey Prime

Digikey has a great search engine. Now I want Digikey Prime, instant

1-click ordering with 2-day delivery.

lunatic fringe electronics

Move to western Minnesota! Weather not to your liking? Well, not much can be done about that. (Well, I live in the St. Louis, MO area, and I USUALLY can get 2-day delivery with FedEx ground.)

If you need it NOW, you can pay for next-day with FedEx.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Sure, but I have to send an email to my purchasing lady, she places a PO, all that hassle. Amazon is 1-click, takes seconds. Amazon does have a lot of electronic stuff.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

My Digikey ordering is about as fast as Amazon, at least for the same number of items. Net 30 or stored credit card. Of course we're a smaller operation, so we can do accounting on a cash basis. Simple.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Digikey/Mouser orders from germany took 1 and 1/2 days before. Ordered germany evening, packed late in the night, transported to the airport late us night, crossing the atlantic the next day and delivered to my desk the next day. Now my last orders waited another day at the airport.

Argh.

--------- Tel. 06151 1623569 ------- Fax. 06151 1623305 ---------
Reply to
Uwe Bonnes

Here in Canada Digi-Key.ca does the customs clearance for us, and we get the items the next day if the order is placed before around 5PM PCT. Costs $8CAD (around $5USD) shipping if the order is under $100CAD (around $65USD), otherwise shipping is "free" (TANSTAAFL).

I just click through the order and pay with our company credit card or (if I want) from our PayPal balance.

John :-#)#

                      John's Jukes Ltd.
          (604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

You forgot to mention, free two-day delivery.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Hmm I get a PO number from Lisa, or make up my own if she's not in. A few clicks and done. Sometimes I'll share my cart with Lisa if there's a bunch of stuff that needs part numbers.

Amazon is becoming evil, not enough competition. Digikey is almost perfect as is, like McMaster-Carr.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Jet.com is Walmart. Not as much selection as Amazon, but a similar model.

Yup. McMaster is startlingly better than Grainger.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I was more interested in the FREE, but overnight was a perk. Dunno about one click, but it wasn't difficult.

Reply to
Mike

If I can get our purchasing people to get moving, I can get stuff from DigiKey the next day[*]. I don't often push but bribe the purchasing people with "peer awards" so they'll rush stuff when I need it.

[*]I don't believe we're charged more for overnight delivery either (contract).
Reply to
krw

an

LY

I find USPS Priority mail to be two days from the far corners of Minnesota or from California. It's like that line from "Oh, Brother". "Well ain't t his place a geographical oddity! Two weeks from everywhere!"

Any ground provider is four days to central VA. Seems they route shipments from Thief River Falls through North Dakota. It's just that little corner of Minnesota that is 4 day instead of 3 day. I expect Digikey has special trucks for all the carriers coming and going on a regular basis. It makes you wonder how they ended up there, equally distant from all customers.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

I have an open account at Digi-Key. I place my own orders. I select items, get a nice picture to make sure it is the right item I want, see how many they have in stock, or what the lead time is if not. Add all the items needed, enter my PO number (just increment from one order to the next) and click checkout. Seems just like Amazon to me.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

It's pretty good IMHO. Sometimes I set up an order and save it to accumulate a few things, and that can be done from anywhere in the world, you just have to be able to log in. If you let them save your credit card you don't even have to enter that stuff.

I've got Altium set up with their numbers as well as the manufacturer part numbers so that stuff can be uploaded en masse (I don't do that). Repeating orders is easy too.

They've been taking two days lately though, which is a bit disappointing when there's a weekend involved.

--Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
speff

Yes. It's nice that Amazon Prime 2nd-day works on weekends. I ordered a weird heatsink on Friday and used it the following Monday.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Might be as expensive as Amazon Prime. You _PAY_ for that jazz.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Robert Baer wrote in news:d8reE.32947 $ snipped-for-privacy@fx48.iad:

Paying for each delivery can end up being more. It depends on the individual account as to whether or not it yields a reduced cost.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

It's sure expensive to drive to Staples or Loews, and park, and shop, and stand in the checkout line, or more likely discover that they don't have what I need.

Amazon has done to shopping what the internet did to bookstores and libraries.

A Digikey Prime 1-click would avoid me emailing my purchasing lady, having her cut a PO, accounting follow-up on the bill, paying big for UPS Red, and waiting.

Actually, Amazon has a lot of electronic parts and equipment.

lunatic fringe electronics

Amazon has done more for publishing than any other company. I use my Nook and Note-8 as Kindle readers (Samsung has better hardware than Amazon).

How do you do the accounting if purchases don't go through purchasing? I buy a lot of stuff for work from Amazon but it's a bigger PITA than DigiKey because it's difficult to point to what I want on Amazon (no part numbers).

Yes, and many things that DigiKey doesn't have.

Reply to
krw

I enjoy my occasional electronic part finds on Amazon, an unusual heatsink, for example. But, excuse me, if I need to place an order for all the parts going onto a machine- assembled PCB, in specific quantities including overages, to be shipped to the assembly house, yes Digi-Key does it perfectly well. Amazon, bwahahaharhardeha!

--
 Thanks,
    - Win